• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding an adult and baby

Glad you like the loved up pic. They had a reasonably easy bond and have gradually become closer and closer.

Your new girl sounds delightful!

Glad you like the loved up pic. They had a reasonably easy bond and have gradually become closer and closer.

Your new girl sounds delightful!
They look so cute together [emoji175]

Yes she is beautiful and sweet natured. She is only 4 weeks but I think she will be a lovely for Mr Chief.

Mr Chief has been following me around all day like a lost puppy. Even to the loo. If I go in the lounge or kitchen there is slippery floor and he won't go in them. Do he just sits by the doorway waiting for me. I went out yesterday to dentist and to see baby bun and think he missed me! I feel guilty.

Having a friend will be good for him so when I go out he won't be alone. I don't go out much really but he hates it when I go. He gets all stressed when he sees me getting ready and sits on bed watching me bless him xx

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

Aww poor little soul recognising the signs that you are going out and stressing. My dogs are the same.

Cant wait to see/hear more about your new doe.

Aww poor little soul recognising the signs that you are going out and stressing. My dogs are the same.

Cant wait to see/hear more about your new doe.
He has been extremely clingy recently bless him. I don't mind but it makes me wonder if he is stressing out. He gets neutered on 4th June so maybe he will calm down then. He keeps trying to mount my legs so could be hormonal.

We get baby around 1st July but she said she will send me pix to update me on how she is doing so I will post them up [emoji6] xx

So I have been sent some more photos of our little girl [emoji178]
a7f6ec3d8128cece60c8b88aea0ed973.jpg
9162d9499c85327342ef956259707f7f.jpg
bc017b847784b3f516b29b6ff845c6fa.jpg
a4c3bd72f03fe0bc75cbfdd815a96936.jpg
ea771a0dd25ad0ebb0ea6e2db4670b4e.jpg
ecae639f91ff8f7ddf6c379038bc9aac.jpg

She is beautiful. She won't stay tiny [emoji23] Her mum is bigger than Mr Chief and her dad is huge!

I'm so excited [emoji3] His neutering is on Friday so my tummy is doing somersaults at the thought but we are ordering puppy pen, vet bed and a steamer this weekend so we can blitz everywhere before his op and ready for baby coming [emoji4]

Yes she will be growing a lot even before we get her. At 10 weeks she will be probably double the size she is now.

We thought Betsy was a bit different and cute. Or possibly Mable? It needs to suit a big bunny. Her mum is called Bluebell and it suits her well. We want to see her personality first to see what name suits her best. Mischief picked his own name really [emoji23]

I am a stress head by nature and this last few days I have been constabtly wirrying about them bonding. I think maunly I am concerned she is so tiny.

Perhaps we could start off slowly with letting them spend time together for a while each day? I know he can be extrenely pushy and I don't want him hounding her and scaring her. Does that sound like a good plan to start with?

Obviously if they seem to have a natural bond we would just leave them together rather than split them up again every day.

I am going to sleep every night thinking about it over and over in my head [emoji23] I've never bonded buns before and just hope we are doing the right thing getting a baby!

I am a stress head by nature and this last few days I have been constabtly wirrying about them bonding. I think maunly I am concerned she is so tiny.

Perhaps we could start off slowly with letting them spend time together for a while each day? I know he can be extrenely pushy and I don't want him hounding her and scaring her. Does that sound like a good plan to start with?

Obviously if they seem to have a natural bond we would just leave them together rather than split them up again every day.

I am going to sleep every night thinking about it over and over in my head [emoji23] I've never bonded buns before and just hope we are doing the right thing getting a baby!

I really do sympathise. Bonding is a very stressful thing to do. I think maybe we've said before, but people will in my view recommend bonding methods depending upon what has worked for them. This in particular is the case between letting them have dates and then separate in between or putting them together and keeping them together. I think it is generally accepted that if you go with the first option and separate, then the bunnies need to almost start from the beginning again each time in working things out between them. They have to work things out, so that they can trust each other and become bonded.

There will probably be a bit of chasing by Mischief, but that is normal and is OK as long as there is no actual aggression. I would reckon that the baby will be faster than Mischief and as long as she has somewhere she can run away to, things will be fine. You will obviously need to be very close to them, with gardening gloves or similar on, so that you can step in if necessary.

I bonded a 7 year old Buck with a 3 month old Doe. He chased her constantly for several hours, but she could run away. There was absolutely no aggression and so I kept them together and didn't separate.

You can always ask for advice/reassurance on here as you bond.

I really do sympathise. Bonding is a very stressful thing to do. I think maybe we've said before, but people will in my view recommend bonding methods depending upon what has worked for them. This in particular is the case between letting them have dates and then separate in between or putting them together and keeping them together. I think it is generally accepted that if you go with the first option and separate, then the bunnies need to almost start from the beginning again each time in working things out between them. They have to work things out, so that they can trust each other and become bonded.

There will probably be a bit of chasing by Mischief, but that is normal and is OK as long as there is no actual aggression. I would reckon that the baby will be faster than Mischief and as long as she has somewhere she can run away to, things will be fine. You will obviously need to be very close to them, with gardening gloves or similar on, so that you can step in if necessary.

I bonded a 7 year old Buck with a 3 month old Doe. He chased her constantly for several hours, but she could run away. There was absolutely no aggression and so I kept them together and didn't separate.

You can always ask for advice/reassurance on here as you bond.
Thank you Omi. That has really helped. I think I want to keep them near each other and let them out seperately so they get each other's scent.

And then we will decide a date on Saturday morning (so my OH can help sit in and watch them over the weekend) and do a final bonding if all goes well (fingers crossed) and I will go through the details before we do it by reading loads and asking on here [emoji4]

I am feeling really guilty tonight as he is sitting next to me looking at me so lovingly and we are taking him to vets on Friday. My head says it is the right thing for him but I feel bad as he trusts me.

I realise it is better for him for long term health plus means he can have a friend. But I am really nervous about it. I've never had any of my pets neutered before but now know it is best to do so.

I'm sure other people go through this. I can't wait until he comes home Friday all fine x

Omi when you say that the baby needs somewhere to go to...do you mean we should give her a hidey place that's small so she can go in there? Or put them in a larger area? Could you explain what you mean please?

We were going to put them in a puppy pen and just watch over them. Just wondering if that would be ok? It can't be any smaller really as Mr Chief needs to be able to stretch his legs x

Omi when you say that the baby needs somewhere to go to...do you mean we should give her a hidey place that's small so she can go in there? Or put them in a larger area? Could you explain what you mean please?

We were going to put them in a puppy pen and just watch over them. Just wondering if that would be ok? It can't be any smaller really as Mr Chief needs to be able to stretch his legs x

No, I wouldn't add a hidey place, as she could go in there and get trapped if Mischief decided to guard it :) I wouldn't actually add anything that either could claim as their own. What I meant was to have enough space in the bonding area so she can run away when he chases.

I think that lots of people use a puppy pen and it usually works well.

No, I wouldn't add a hidey place, as she could go in there and get trapped if Mischief decided to guard it :) I wouldn't actually add anything that either could claim as their own. What I meant was to have enough space in the bonding area so she can run away when he chases.

I think that lots of people use a puppy pen and it usually works well.
Oh right! Yes that's what I thought. I was going to just put hay on the floor for now and food scattered about. I read on one of the posts here to not put anything in area so they can't argue over it. So what you say makes perfect sense Omu thank you.

We are ordering a puppy pen today ready for his op on Friday. I thought we could put Mr Chief in it for a few days rather than running about the whole flat. He tends to jump on bed and wouldn't want him to pull his stitches!

We were wondering if you can get puppy pens where you can add panels to make them bigger? We could start off with a smaller area then and increase it. Does anyone know of puppy panels like this please?

Also I am worried he could jump the puppy pen. He is a huge leaper. And the other day the new baby's owner said that baby's dad has been known to clear 4 feet!! Obviously Mischief would not get much of a run up but he can really leap high when standing still.

I am wondering what height do I get a puppy pen for? The last thing we want is him jumping out or worse an injury!

We are also thinking of ordering a roll of vet bed. Then we can use it for all the areas they go and it will be neutral as not been used. Would that be a good idea? Or do others have other options please?

Thank you Omi for your help [emoji4] x

I usually use an offcut of safety lino on the floor as it's very easy to neutralise so if you need to make more than one attempt you wouldn't need a new roll of vet bed. Also baby might be a chewer of vet bed like Rodney [emoji51]

In terms of jump clearance Rodney can clear 3ft but a 60cm puppy pen was fine as he couldn't get a run up. Flopsy who was more like Mr Chief I bought an actual 4ft dog pen but the downside is you can't expand it panel by panel like the puppy ones.

Most of the metal puppy ones are made of individual panels that you can join together as you need. We use them for pretty much all bunny proofing and bonding these days and they're easy to get to bunnies if you need to separate or put something between them. It's not pretty though [emoji1787]

While housing them separately don't forget to have two layers of caging between them initially so they can't bite at each other.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I am thinking of getting an 8 panel extra heavy duty extra high pen. Height is 100cm. I think that should be ok (hopefully!)

We are thinking then we could fit a reduced 6 panel pen in our bedroom for Mr Chief and just about squueze the extra large dog crate in next to it for the baby. It would mean they can be next to each other and baby will be in bedroom with us getting used to us and sounds and smells.

We can then let them out seperately and they can see each other all day aswell. When we bond we could then start off with 6 panels in the lounge as it is neutral. And then expand it to 8 panels. We don't have much more room than that in lounge.

And we can move the puppy pen into bedroom later and 8 panels will just fit in there nicely. We can later use the puppy pen for them to stay in at night and in the day they can free roam once they are bonded.

We have found if we leave Mr Chief out at night he gets into so much trouble early hours of the morning! Plus he jumps on my head to try and wake me and he is a huge lump! [emoji23]

I just want to make sure the logistics sound ok before I order [emoji6] We only have a one bedroom flat so we don't have much space for them to have seperate areas in the bedroom. So I hope the sizes are big enough! Does it sound as if it could work? [emoji23]

Noted on the vet bed thank you! Mischief does like to chew everything so that's a no go really. So will look into lino then [emoji6] Vet bed is pretty expensive anyway. I just thought vet bed would be softer. But I presume we can put blankets and duvets in the bonding pen still for comfort can we?

Thank you CarelessSquid [emoji4] x

Last edited:
Back