• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding advise-U/D fighting!!

charl86

Alpha Buck
Yesterday I got my new rabbit (still un-named:oops:). She's currently in a pen in my dining room (washed with vinigar to nutralise) Last night I put sooty in there to test the water and let them sniff each other through the bars. At first I thought it was going well they were quite excited to see each other but no signs of agression.
This morning was a different story. Sooty is stomping his feet all the time when near her and then she's pulled a bit of Sooty's fur out from between the bars. Dont think she bit him as Sooty didnt react much and contintued sniffing her. I'm thinking its because the area is no longer neutral as she's been there overnight and he hasn't?
I'm not sure if there's a way of getting around this though as he has his own room where he goes at night and the run of the house during the day. Maybe I'd be better keeping them apart completely until im ready to do a quick bond? I was just hoping to introduce them gradually though:?
Any advice please...

Last edited:
This behaviour is completely normal during the bonding process, only if you see serious aggression should you split them now.

I assume they're both neutered. Good luck!

Edit! Oops, just realised they're not yet together! It probably is a territory thing, just make sure you start from scratch when bonding.

:wave: Yes both neutered, I'm wondering if it's best to stop them from seeing each other thought the bars or leave them to it till I throw them in together and do the proper bond? Nobody seems to be getting really hurt theres just alot of foot stomping and fur pulling from between the bars.

Dont think she bit him as Sooty didnt react much and contintued sniffing her. I'm thinking its because the area is no longer neutral as she's been there overnight and he hasn't?
I'm not sure if there's a way of getting around this though as he has his own room where he goes at night and the run of the house during the day. Maybe I'd be better keeping them apart completely until im ready to do a quick bond? I was just hoping to introduce them gradually though:?
Any advice please...

If you have left one in the pen overnight the run becomes non neutral, therefore this can lead to problems.

I would leave the bonding until you can do a quick bond on totally neutral ground without having to separate them.

My suggestion would be while you are waiting to do a quick bond that you prepare yourself by restricting the space that you allow the buns to go so that the room you are planning to bond in is not used by either of the buns and you give it a good clean. This will help you in the long run as you then have a neutral room to place the bonding pen and you can then work from there when you start to increase the space. While they are in this space, you can then start neutralising the rest of your place.

Thanks for the advice. Is there any amount of time i should leave her to settle in before I try them together in another neutral space?

Hello,

My 2 were together seperated by a baby gate for a good few months and I think it has really helped with their bonding which I also started yesterday, as in the whole hog! I've just posted a new thread on here, go and have a peak.

Last night there was lots of stamping and pulling and pushing but I persevered and this morning they look like they've been married for months and looking at me like I'm the evil one for keeping them in a tiny pen!

No time is the right time really, think it's best to just jump in the deep end if you've done all the correct preparation, which it sounds you have. Just be patient and try not to get upset or wound up as buns can sense it and they'll play up to that.

Good luck :D

Update

Ladygarden- looks like you've had better luck than me!

I put them together yesterday in a totally neutral spce and there was proper fighting! They had to be seperated in the end, Sooty even bit my OH three times! - and not accidentally when he got in the way of a scuffle.
Sooty definately seems more interested in her than she is in him. He's the one doing all the chasing/humping and she lets him to some extent but evenually gets :censored: off and snaps at him quite agressively and it all esculates from there.

So we're gunna try a car ride tonight. Sooty's not great in the car so hopefully it will distract him enough for him to leave her alone for a min so they can get used to each other. Hopefully they can go back into the neutral space after this without the fighting!

I really hope this works as she is not loving her pen at all! She's been trying to escape and this morning she succeeded! Good job the door was shut so she couldn't get to Sooty! The quicker I can get them together the better I think!

Last edited:
Back