• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding Advice Needed- 2 Females

Bibbit

New Kit
Hi everyone. I need some encouragement and suggestions on how to proceed with an apparently difficult bonding. This looks like a great forum and I'm hoping you guys might be able to guide me.

Background: My husband I had a rescued bunny for seven years before we had kids. After a gap of about 9 years, and with kids 9 and 7, I decided to get back into bunny keeping, as they are great little companions. I enjoy caretaking and knew the girls would enjoy them as well. So we picked out a cute bun named Lily from the shelter and brought her home with the idea that after she settled in, and we did as well, we'd get a second bunny if it seemed right. Lily is great and we decided after two months to give her a companion.

We adopted Elvira about 5 weeks ago. She seemed fairly calm for a young rabbit (2-5 months) and had been in the shelter with her sisters. We did not have the luxury of pre-choice dating, but she seemed a good candidate and had a similar background to Lily. We brought Elvira home and gave her a couple of weeks to pass a quarantine period before introducing her to Lily. They are both spade and healthy, so I researched all the bonding advice I could find on the internet.

First, I moved their cages side by side. I then introduced them in a small neutral area of the house (a pen in the garage). Lily was interested in Elvira, but the moment she got close, Elvira jumped and bolted, resulting in a tussle that I would call the only real fight. It lasted only for a moment, but portended a rough go of this process.

We dated several more times in the garage. Lily would slowly approach to initiate contact and Elvira would run. I researched more and moved the dates to a small bathroom. However, it was not small enough, and Lily would approach and Elvira would run. There were plenty of moments of disinterest by both, but nothing more.

At first I was being too harsh on stopping all non-positive acts, but I read more and was able to let up and let them interact if they tried. I next moved them into a bathtub. That is where we get the best interaction. There has been chasing, but Elvira usually gives up eventually and just lies down. She always appears tense, but not always with her ears back. She typically will not eat or explore. She just hunkers down. She does not show any interest in Lily at all. When they are together, her normal bunny tendencies disappear and she tries not to be seen.

During the bath sessions, she will tolerate Lily sniffing her, nudging her, and lying next to her. In the first couple of sessions, Lily mounted Elvira, who did not fight back. Lily has not been doing this lately, though she will nip Elvira's rear during the brief chases. They both stomp. Lily will flop beside her sometimes and rest. Elvira always remains tense, but will stay beside Lily for a period of time. Sometimes the 30 minute to hour sessions start with running and end with this tense truce. Sometimes it alternates between disinterest, tense closeness, and chasing, which I stop if it does not resolve quickly. Lily has licked Elvira's ears a couple of times, but no real grooming takes place.

At couple of weeks ago I started swapping which cages they stay in. I've also tried stressing. We put them in a cardboard box in a car and drove them around. There was a little fear based moving by Elvira, but they generally just sat on different sides of the box and did nothing during the experience. I've tried putting them in a box by the running treadmill or vacuum. More of the same.

So, I feel like there has been absolutely no progress. I just for the heck of it put them in the outside cage today that has a large yard/run. Lily seemed a bit aggressive going for Elvira and Elvira ran like a race horse.

It's been three weeks at this point and I feel fairly discouraged. Where should I go next?

Last edited:
I took some video from the date tonight. This is the moment I put them together. Contact and then a sprint by Elvira. She freezes and just stays that way, which is typical.

https://youtu.be/Rvn7f1mQAN8

This second one is a short time later. Lily just comes up an engages, and then flops. She's so sweet. Lily has lied next to her for most of the time and Elvira has withstood it.
https://youtu.be/Iav97Gc1Q30

If anyone has any thoughts, thanks in advance.

I can't really be of much help with this except to say I am not a great believer in stressing rabbits out in order to get some reaction. Stress can bring on illness. If you edit your title to read 2 Females the folk on here who have managed to do this will come on to give you some encouragement/advice. I think you need to lengthen the bonding sessions in order to give the bunnies a chance to relax with one another - I wouldn't carry on with these short meetings. Most now agree that a bath isd not the most suitable place to introduce bunnies being too slippy and when I bond I give them lots to do and lots of hay to get on with, which does help the bunnies to feel more confident and relaxed with the other bun.

Thanks. I edited the subject. Like everything that you research on the internet, you can get advice that comes from every perspective. Almost every bunny bonding guide I've read, and I think I found most of them, talked about the car rides as a great tool. Like I said, my attempts at using the noise or the ride had essentially no effect in any case.

The bathtub is the only place I'm having any success. They visited for about an hour and a half there last night and it was one of the best we've had. There were two small sprints by Elvira. She just sat there otherwise the whole time, but Lily was very relaxed and plopped beside her for most of the time.

I've got some ideas for some play house/maze type things, so I'm going to build something and give them more activity to engage them. I've tried food as an activity and some cardboard toys, but those haven't done much.

Thanks for your thoughts and help.

Hi,

We've bonded two females very recently. It took us around three months in total and needless to say it was highly stressful for all involved.

We got a good basic bond with them by attaching puppy runs to their cages so they could interact 24/7 through the bars. We'd have the odd boxing match but nothing bad. We'd always feed them so they were as close together as possible and most of the time they'd take each others food from between the bars. Once we had a good 'positive' interaction through the bars we went onto bonding sessions. We started how the internet mostly advised - shot 10 mins sessions gradually building. If there were no fights we'd simply leave them an extra 5 minuets.

After a few weeks they had a major fight which lead to Phoebe having a chunk of skin pulled from her shoulder after a tussle in our first attempt at a power bond. We gave them a week to calm back down, only interacting through the puppy pens then decided to go for a power bond again.

This time we brought a new large dog cage which we set up in the room on a Tuesday night. We took them for a drive in the car in a wash basket covered in a blanket. (Around 10/15mins). After the drive they went straight into their dog cage which just had hay (slightly slippery plastic floor) and I stayed in the room with them. (The man was banished to sleep in the spare room). I had a night of no sleep because of a little chasing and mounting but no big fights. They spent in total 5 days in the cage at which point they went outside into a run for the day. They had another night going into the dog cage but after that went into their shared accommodation.

We still get the odd mounting from Daphne but this is mainly when excited about dinner.

From your videos it looks fairly positive. The last one appears to be sort of a stale mate in terms of who is going to groom the dominant bunny. Daphne and Phoebe used to do this a lot during bonding and we would honestly just leave them to it. Eventually they would both relax into a lay.

I think if you're able to do an hour and half without any fights or fur pulling to maybe try to do a power bonding session (note if it goes well you can't separate them). If possible set up a neutral space somewhere they can spend at least 3 nights where you're able to sleep with them. Put them in together and monitor. Only step in if they appear to be having a fight but otherwise leave them to it.

I found that separating the girls (even to put them in cages side by side) seemed to confuse them and they couldn't properly establish who was the top bun.

Please get some more input from other users too but this is the basic story of my girls.

Last edited:
Thanks all. I'm fairly encouraged today. We had a long bunny date and Elvira seemed more engaged, perhaps confident. She actually approached Lily, which she has never done before, albeit to try to take/share a carrot. That resulted in a short dust up, but nothing major. I built a couple of cardboard mazes/houses and they seemed to enjoy those and be more inquisitive. The girls spent almost four hours together and it wasn't too bad.

I feel like I need to see some affection between them before I feel good about it. Am I expecting too much?

Here is a video after I took away the houses. Elvira is still moving away from Lily when Lily approaches, but it wasn't nearly as much of a "run for your life" kind of move. Perhaps there is hope after all.

https://youtu.be/UPO1t8R0dMY

Your grey bunny is trying to get away all the time, the butterfly lop is definitely the dominant of the 2 and always would be, imo. The Lop bunny will be stronger than the other one so if she attacked, the grey bunny could be hurt.

I agree with tonibun that your lop is the more dominant of the 2, and will probably always be this way.

I don't think it looks too bad, there isn't flat out chasing constantly. Your lop will approach and give a half hearted chase but isn't constantly at it.

I'd be tempted to say put down multiple piles of hay around the room, so they have the option to eat with each other, or away from each other. I found allowing the girls to do this during bonding sessions was highly beneficial. Only you will know how confident you feel doing this and you may feel better waiting a little longer.

I'd make sure you have the hay ready in the room, as the rustle of the bag can cause excitement and may cause a little aggression.

Thanks guys. I think you are right that the lop will be dominant of the pair. I'm just hoping that the grey bun can start to act like she wants Lily as a companion.

I'll try the hay advice. I have been using the bonding times to give fresh fruit and veggie treats in an attempt to have them looking forward to it more. There's been a little food aggression, but not much. Usually the grey bun won't eat, but she seemed much more relaxed last night and ate what I gave her.

I'll give it a while and hopefully report back good news. Thanks again.

I wanted to update our bonding situation. We've made progress. I think we have definite tolerance, if still not love yet. Two videos:

Short video of them eating hay/pellets together: https://youtu.be/OdS5gxXRlQ8
Playing in their castle with a little nudge/snuggle: https://youtu.be/pqp17n_m-lE (Lily might be looking for food)

Elvira is still likely to move away from Lily if she approaches, but there is less running and Elvira allows occasionally cuddling. I now have them in the small cage in the first video. I'm getting some foot stamps and avoidance, but they've been in there together for three full days with no fights. I'm going to give it another day and if all goes well, we'll start experimenting with the large enclosure. If any of you experts see something in their behavior, I'd love to hear it.

Hi,

The look like they are doing lovely together!
It looked in the second video as if Lily (I think she is the smaller of the two) was asking to be groomed by Elvira. Obviously she got completely ignored but it didn't progress into any fights etc so thats really good.

Take it nice and slow when you come to increasing their shared space. You may have a few small fights as they figure out who is boss of the new space, but its important you don't separate them unless its a true fight. (Rolling on the floor, locked together etc)

Hopefully someone else will be along soon to comment on what they see.

Back