• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding 2 female baby rabbits

scoobylou

Young Bun
I have a year old male rabbit that is very lazy & seemed lonely so, we decided to get a female rabbit for him. However when we were picking we decided to get 2 baby females as they seemed really happy with each other playing around but when they had their health checks one of them had an abscess so we decided to get one of them while the other needed to see the vet. Its been three weeks now & the vet has said we could bring the other one home in a couple of days but I'm a little worried because the little female baby & our older male get on really well running around together. I don't know whether the few weeks away from each other will make it hard for the 2 baby females to get along again especially with the male in the mix. I need some advice from someone with more experience than me on bonding of female babies.

I don't have experience but I've read an awful lot because i'm bonding my trio (2 girls, one boy) soon.
Just bond them like normal. It will probably take more time than a pair but you should get there in the end. Are they all fixed?

None of them are at the moment, the male is going in to get neutered in 2 days but we don't want to get the females done since we saw some pictures of the procedure & to be honest freaked us out lol. We were hoping that since they're babies & have sort of gone up together apart from these last 3 weeks that they would be fine, although we are aware that when they get older could begin to fight for territory.

None of them are at the moment, the male is going in to get neutered in 2 days but we don't want to get the females done since we saw some pictures of the procedure & to be honest freaked us out lol. We were hoping that since they're babies & have sort of gone up together apart from these last 3 weeks that they would be fine, although we are aware that when they get older could begin to fight for territory.
Hate to say it but almost guaranteed they will fight. Our girls were littermates and they started fighting at 6 moths (2 days before they were booked in for their spay).

The girls stand a very high risk of getting reproductive cancer without being spayed, even if they don't get territorial. They've been doing the operation for a long time now, the risk is very low and they bounce back quite quickly when they're young - ours were back to normal in a couple of days.

This is an odd question but what breed is your rabbit lola because our male looks exactly like her but brown & when we bought him they told us us he was a netherland dwarf but from pictures we have seen we don't believe he is fully netherland dwarf maybe a half-breed.

A spay with a rabbit-savvy vet has something like a 98% success rate, its honestly nothing to worry about, its mainly the aftercare that can be difficult. I would definitely recommend a spay for them - it will improve their behaviour so they aren't aggressive towards you or each other, and as battlekat has said they have a massive risk of cancer.

Also, if nobody is fixed the girls can get pregnant pretty much straight away. And your boy will be fertile for up to 6 weeks after his neuter :wave:

This is an odd question but what breed is your rabbit lola because our male looks exactly like her but brown & when we bought him they told us us he was a netherland dwarf but from pictures we have seen we don't believe he is fully netherland dwarf maybe a half-breed.

shes nethie X mini rex. pure nethies have shorter ears.

Okey, we will probably get them spayed then we were just worried since they are our first rabbits that it would hurt them to much & the boyfriend is a worrier lol. We were wondering is it common for male adult rabbits to not try & hump baby females because ours doesn't seemed to be interested in her at all he just cleans her sometimes.

Last edited:
Okey, we will probably get them spayed then we were just worried since they are our first rabbits that it would hurt them to much & the boyfriend is a worrier lol. We were wondering is it common for male adult rabbits to not try & hump baby females because ours doesn't seemed to be interested in her at all he just cleans her sometimes.

I totally understand that hun :wave: theres a small risk under anaesthetic but its pretty minimal now, rabbit medicine has advanced a lot in the past 20 years. Where abouts are you? I'm sure someone can recommend a good vet, I would never go to a cat/dog vet for a spay :)

It depends on the rabbit, whether he is dominant/submissive, and just his personality. How old are the girls?

We live in Lancaster in Lancashire, we were going to ring up a few vets to find out which we thought would be best.

At the moment we only have the one female, the other is still at the pet shop with the vet because they wanted to fully check that she was healthy enough to come home with us. The little female we brought home is about 8 weeks, I think she is dominant & cheeky she runs rings around him when they're out. The male I'd say is very submissive, the little one will push him out of the way to get to his food & he doesn't even bother at all just stands aside & lets her do what she wants. He's just a very quiet soft rabbit, likes to be stroked but not picked up & likes to be on his own a lot.

:love::love: he sounds lovely!

I would ask them how many neuters they have done, what their success rate is (and 90% is considered low!), if they do a dental while under the anaesthetic.

I used to think a more expensive vet meant they are better, but my new vet is better and cheaper than the old one :)

She could get pregnant at 8 weeks... and she would be seriously damaged I think having kits so young :(

They have separate cages & when they're out we watch them all the time to make sure that the male doesn't try to hump her or anything but he doesn't seem interested in her much just cleans her sometimes.

oh ok I thought you meant they were always together. It only takes a few seconds for her to get pregnant though. :) not trying to scare you, just don't want you to end up in a difficult situation :wave:

cheers, we didn't know that she could get pregnant now so we might let them out separately until he gets neutered & there's no chance of pregnancy.

They could be fine, you never know. My girls are 8 months old and unspayed, they just love each other :love:

cheers, we didn't know that she could get pregnant now so we might let them out separately until he gets neutered & there's no chance of pregnancy.

ok :) It is unusual for them to get pregnant so young I think, but it can happen. Good luck :wave:

Back