• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonded buns chasing every day

So i adopted two male wildie (dutch/wild cross) buns at the beginning of September from the Rabbit Residence rescue. They were bonded by the rescue and were both neutered in the early summer.
When we brought them home they were understandably nervous but there was a clear leader, Rock who was always followed around by Samwise.
Up until around 3 weeks ago we had them in their 4m x 2m area to get used to the home & domestic noises. They would always be together, sleeping eating, drinking, playing with toys. Everything. Rock would occasionally snatch toys away for himself but otherwise they were very close brothers. So 3 weeks ago we started letting them out to the living room and wider flat to play and spend time with us while we watch TV etc (around 4hours in the morning and 3 in the evening).
Ever since this extra roaming room has been given, Rock has been chasing Samwise multiple times per day for well over 30seconds so we have had to get in between them each time (when we see/hear it). Sometimes it looked like play, other times it was annoyance. It got increasingly worse where at times we'd find big clumps of Samwise's fur in the morning (he is darker) and every time now Samwise whimpers/whines in distress. They no longer sleep next to each other and rarely eat their hay/use the litter tray together anymore. (They do eat, just separately these days).
This said when not chasing Rock is very happy, binkying and zooming around. Samwise binkies every morning at least too and both of them flop regularly. So we're confused as they seem happy but also very worried because Samwise does seem very wary of Rock now and scared to do anything that might make him chase & nip.
We have tried saying a firm "no" to Rock immediately when we get between the chase and tried spraying water at Rock to distract him and make him want to clean himself (this doesn't work at all, he completely ignores the water/doesn't notice it), so that he learns to associate the water with the chasing. We have also tried Pet Remedy which doesn't seem to calm either of them down.
We don't know what to do. I know it's dominance but it seems like too much and too often to me (like I said, several times a day). Also it is very clear that Rock is dominant and Samwise knows it. We can't watch them at night when we sleep and I'm worried that Rock will seriously hurt Samwise for simply existing. Has their bond broken? Will Rock calm down as he gets a bit older? (They are both now 6months old)

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear this is happening. They are now, more or less, mature at 6 months and it does look as if the dominant boy isn't happy to share his territory with the other one. The lesser dominant boy will always feel afraid of the other one so, in my opinion, they should both be bonded to females when they will be happier.

Can you get in touch with the Rescue they came from ? I know that the Rabbit Residence offer good back up care after Adopting from them. They are a highly respected Rescue so I am sure they will help you out with good advice :D

Hi InspectorMorse! Yes I've been in touch with the rescue a few times about this and they recommended the firm "no" and pet remedy. They also said they would take the boys back and have a mixed pair instead if I'm more comfortable. I am happy to have two boys but in this case it seems they aren't happy living together.
I really don't want to give them up as we both love them so much and have got a bond with them. I thought I'd get perspective from others on here before making the decision.
Wasn't sure if we should persist a bit longer or just arrange to take them back.

Back