• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bond breaking down?

Lynn's Bunny

Mama Doe
I have 2 neutered bunnies, male and female, who are 1 year old. I took my male to a rescue and he did speed dating and we found a female that he clicked with. They did the initial introductions and then I picked them up just over a week ago and brought them home. They were not living together 24/7 at that point so I started the bonding process in a neutral space in a restricted area. They did great, very little challenging behaviour. I then expanded the pen and they were fine.

But in the last 2 days I have noticed my male chasing my female for short periods of time. And she doesn’t seem as relaxed around him. They are still grooming each other, sitting together, eating together etc. They do press their foreheads together trying to establish. hierarchy and usually the male cleans her first and then she returns the favour. But I’m afraid it will escalate and cause a fight.

He seems to be doing a bit of lunging (no biting) and then chasing behaviour. Also is more aggressive cleaning her especially her back. The rabbit rescue place suggested reducing the size of the pen for now. I have done this and the chasing has stopped and the female is much more relaxed.

But I read that chasing is normal but not excessive chasing as they do this to establish dominance. Now Im confusing how long to leave them in this small area. Any ideas?

I feel bad having them in a small space as my male is used to running around a lot and getting a lot of exercise and I worry that he is agitated from not getting enough exercise. Help! I don’t want to mess this up.

The reason its hard to remember is that at one point I let them have more space too fast and access to a hidebox perch, not inside the hidebox but they were allowed to go on top. When my female jumped off it my male startled and chased her. So I then reduced the size of the pen to not include the hutch/hidebox perch. After that things settled down right away. But I think it was shortly after that the chasing started up again the next day maybe? sorry I honestly can’t remember the exact days.

Since you picked them up just over a week ago, is it safe to say they were in the smaller area for days not weeks?
Sending vibes.

They will need to remain in a smaller space for at least a week. They need to be seen resting side by side, sharing food, responding in positive ways to ‘groom me’ requests, mirroring behaviour- eg as one Rabbit grooms themselves the other one copies and starts grooming themselves too.

When you increase the space do it gradually :)

Back