• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bolt and Kiwi bonding

Kiwi is going to be spayed this weekend

so which part of the humping is normal? i.e. is he humping because of dominance or because theres still a hidden testicle left??

once kiwi is spayed, we'll wait a few weeks then we will let them start bonding properly.

At the moment they are in their seperate cages, but the cages are next to each other, sometimes they try to 'kiss' through the cage lol

Guess once the op is over and we've waited, we'll have to watch him hump her then :(

PS: The end result which we're hoping is for them 2 to live and play together peacefully

How long does it generally take for them to bond properly, i.e. how long before we can stop watching them 2 alone

I usually leave them together on first meeting - every time they meet there will be dominance issues (humping) which generally reduces the longer they are together.

Are you happy getting her spayed although potentially she could be pregnant?

Theres no way Kiwi can be pregnant as Bolt has never mounted her. When he tried to put his hands on her, i pull him away.

Bolt and Kiwi has never been left alone together before

How long before we let kiwi live with bolt? i'm assuming we let them 2 play as often as possible, then maybe in a week or 2 try to let them be in the cage?

When she's spayed, I would give her 10days - 2 weeks with no contact so her spay wound can heal, then get bonding. If they get on straight away, there's no reason to separate as that just undoes all the good work & they have to resort out dominance issues again.

Rather than opening another post i will post here:

so we took Kiwi to the vets today for her final checkup regards to her spay is fine and almost healed up, shes been spayed 2 weeks now and Bolt about 6 weeks ago.

We tryed to bond them today and are looking for advice, at first they didnt seem to mind each other, Kiwi tucked into the food bowl whilst Bolt sniffed her and walked about and sniffed her again. Prior to all this, both rabbits were in their seperate cage and are close to each other in the living room for 3 weeks.

Bolt started to hump her and he made this quiet grunting sound, he just kept at it, Kiwi's tail is a bit wet after that. Bolt then layed in the corner and relaxed whilst Kiwi just stood there.

After that, Bolt was at it again but this time Kiwi seems to be fed up and kept walking away.

He bite her fur once but it doesnt seem to ever end this humping so we stopped and put them back in the cage, we will try again tomorrow.

Any tips so far??

IMG_6466800x600.jpg

IMG_6470800x600.jpg

IMG_6473800x600.jpg

IMG_6478800x600.jpg

IMG_6486800x600.jpg

IMG_6490800x600.jpg

IMG_6463800x600.jpg

IMG_6465800x600.jpg

Back