• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding - what do you pay and what do you expect for that?

We pay £10 a night, but I'd happily pay more, as she is amazing! I take their own pellets and hay, simply because Rupert has so many tummy issues, which we think were caused by different hay (its the only thing it could have been). I'd pay more for the peace of mind I get knowing she is VERY bunny savvy.

We pay £10 a night, but I'd happily pay more, as she is amazing! I take their own pellets and hay, simply because Rupert has so many tummy issues, which we think were caused by different hay (its the only thing it could have been). I'd pay more for the peace of mind I get knowing she is VERY bunny savvy.

thats ace you have such peace of mind. Do you mind me asking who you use?

So far, judging from her website I think she hits most criteria other than the runs being on grass. I think I'll arrange to go see her at some point and have a chat and a look around. Mine are both vaccinated so I'm not too concerned about the grass issue as long as general cleanliness is kept to. :)

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

The problem with grass runs is not so much the Myxo/VHD risk but coccidiosis. Personally I'd think very carefully about leaving a Rabbit in Boarding that used grass based runs.

Coccidiosis can occur in any Rabbit establishment and the ability to thoroughly steam clean/disinfect runs before and after use by different Rabbits is absolutely essential. Obviously it is impossible to steam clean or disinfect grass.

So far, judging from her website I think she hits most criteria other than the runs being on grass. I think I'll arrange to go see her at some point and have a chat and a look around. Mine are both vaccinated so I'm not too concerned about the grass issue as long as general cleanliness is kept to. :)

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

The main concern with a run being on grass is coccidiosis. However, this is far more prevalent in wild rabbits than domestic rabbits, so anyone who lets their rabbits out into the garden at all, for any length of time, will be giving their own rabbits a chance to pick up coccidiosis.

The chances of a domestic rabbit picking up coccidiosis from a grass run where another rabbit has been is very rare indeed. So please don't let that scare you!

You could always prescribe that they are never let out of their accommodation ... or that any run must be on hard standing which has been thoroughly disinfected first :thumb:

I've just noticed your location - can I ask who this boarder is? I travel quite a long way to board mine as never found anyone suitable around here that ticked all the boxes so would be good to know who it is?

The problem with grass runs is not so much the Myxo/VHD risk but coccidiosis. Personally I'd think very carefully about leaving a Rabbit in Boarding that used grass based runs.

I agree with this - and not just coccidiosis but e.cuniculi as well. They are both really nasty infectious diseases which can easily be transmitted across grass and both diseases are common, and common in rabbits who are not displaying symptoms of illness. Even if cocci is more prevalent in wild rabbits, it's the fact that it's a confined area with intensive use that raises the risk, and e.cuniculi spores are spread from urine and more prevalent in domestic rabbits, which means that it's extremely likely to be passed around by rabbits weeing on grass. Because they can both be passed on by rabbits who are not ill, and because illness does not come on suddenly and quickly (it could be years for ec) it would be entirely possible for a boarder to operate this way for years without realising that they are actually the source of transmitting infectious diseases to clients rabbits.

Having seen first hand how absolutely devastating coccidiosis can be (and e.cuniculi for that matter, but not first hand fortunately) there is absolutely no way I would allow my bunnies to go out onto grass runs at a boarder. The intensity of use of runs and the high turnover of rabbits in those runs raises the risk way beyond that of a normal patch of grass. Having said that, the local boarder that I have used occasionally does have grass runs, but mine don't use the grass runs and instead use the part of the accommodation that is large enough for them to stay all the time, and she knows and understands why I don't want them on grass and respects that. It's not ideal because what I really want is for a boarder to understand that risk for themselves and to choose not to do it at all, not just because a customer asks, which is why I travel a long distance for boarding for any longer period of time.

My personal preference is for bunnies to board in accommodation that is large enough for them all the time without the need to stress them out by moving them between accommodation and a run. I think this keeps them safer from infectious diseases, minimises stress and also minimises the risk of them getting upset by the sight of other rabbits in the area. I just don't think it's worth the risk, especially considering it's not difficult to put those runs onto a hard area instead.

The other thing I'd add to things other people have said is to see what other pets they have/boarders they accept. A lot of boarders seem to have dogs, which is fine as long as the rabbits are fine with that and/or the boarder keeps the two well separated. I also wouldn't board anywhere that accepted ferrets in boarding, although fortunately most bunny boarders do tend to stick just to bunnies so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - something to bear in mind though.

Good luck with finding somewhere you're happy with :D

I agree with this - and not just coccidiosis but e.cuniculi as well. They are both really nasty infectious diseases which can easily be transmitted across grass and both diseases are common, and common in rabbits who are not displaying symptoms of illness. Even if cocci is more prevalent in wild rabbits, it's the fact that it's a confined area with intensive use that raises the risk, and e.cuniculi spores are spread from urine and more prevalent in domestic rabbits, which means that it's extremely likely to be passed around by rabbits weeing on grass. Because they can both be passed on by rabbits who are not ill, and because illness does not come on suddenly and quickly (it could be years for ec) it would be entirely possible for a boarder to operate this way for years without realising that they are actually the source of transmitting infectious diseases to clients rabbits.

Having seen first hand how absolutely devastating coccidiosis can be (and e.cuniculi for that matter, but not first hand fortunately) there is absolutely no way I would allow my bunnies to go out onto grass runs at a boarder. The intensity of use of runs and the high turnover of rabbits in those runs raises the risk way beyond that of a normal patch of grass. Having said that, the local boarder that I have used occasionally does have grass runs, but mine don't use the grass runs and instead use the part of the accommodation that is large enough for them to stay all the time, and she knows and understands why I don't want them on grass and respects that. It's not ideal because what I really want is for a boarder to understand that risk for themselves and to choose not to do it at all, not just because a customer asks, which is why I travel a long distance for boarding for any longer period of time.

My personal preference is for bunnies to board in accommodation that is large enough for them all the time without the need to stress them out by moving them between accommodation and a run. I think this keeps them safer from infectious diseases, minimises stress and also minimises the risk of them getting upset by the sight of other rabbits in the area. I just don't think it's worth the risk, especially considering it's not difficult to put those runs onto a hard area instead.

The other thing I'd add to things other people have said is to see what other pets they have/boarders they accept. A lot of boarders seem to have dogs, which is fine as long as the rabbits are fine with that and/or the boarder keeps the two well separated. I also wouldn't board anywhere that accepted ferrets in boarding, although fortunately most bunny boarders do tend to stick just to bunnies so it shouldn't be too much of a problem - something to bear in mind though.

That's a very valid point about E.C. Santa :thumb:

Remember also though that many/most rabbits carry the E.C. parasite and remain asymptomatic throughout their lives. Studies have shown that only 12% of rabbits with very high titres will go on to develop neurological disorders possibly relating to E.C. This means that the majority of rabbits (showing positive) will never develop any symptoms.

Just to put the risk into perspective. I take the point about a run being used over and over again many times though...

I pay £8.50 a day for my pair to stay in this :)

52df5ddef9eef7c5df538e7bddcee1d1.jpg

It is an aviary style 7.5ft x 7ft walk in run, with a 6ft x 3ft hutch inside. The hutch is elevated so the buns have the full 52.5 sq ft area to play in, which has tunnels and toys.

They provide everything: food, hay and toys. They require proof of vaccinations too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I pay £8.50 a day for my pair to stay in this :)

52df5ddef9eef7c5df538e7bddcee1d1.jpg

It is an aviary style 7.5ft x 7ft walk in run, with a 6ft x 3ft hutch inside. The hutch is elevated so the buns have the full 52.5 sq ft area to play in, which has tunnels and toys.

They provide everything: food, hay and toys. They require proof of vaccinations too.

Looks good. You're not a million miles from me - which boarders do you use please?

Looks good. You're not a million miles from me - which boarders do you use please?

Bunnies on holiday :D

They're brilliant. My bun got bloat whilst there and they rushed her to the vets and saved her life. Can't recommend them enough.

Some of their runs are on the grass but that's only for the buns that are kept in the hutches without runs attached. All their delux accommodation is on concrete and that's where my buns stay as it's the biggest place for them. They have some fab set ups, should see their bunny cabin!

c05fae6b8e45c452a911e6bb8d69feef.jpg

http://www.bunniesonholiday.com

It's a thing about 10 foot long, 3 foot wide, on two levels, with a Mezzanine, a ramp with foot holds, a sleeping compartment big enough to hold a box of hay and also have an annexe. A downstairs with tunnels/tubes, boxes and a step stool to jump on top of and hide under ... Several seagrass mats to provide shade and chewing joy and willow balls filled with hay along with cardboard boxes to hide in. The inside at the back is covered with apple twigs to nibble on in case of late night hunger ..

I change the layout every few days to prevent boredom ...

Then there's the massive dog run/pen with concrete base and walk in sheltered area and run area ...

I couldn't keep a rabbit in a cage either :thumb:

Think I may have to board Binky and Bella with you next time I go on holiday :lol: (could be years yet ha!)
...or next time they misbehave :lol:

Bunnies on holiday :D

They're brilliant. My bun got bloat whilst there and they rushed her to the vets and saved her life. Can't recommend them enough.

Some of their runs are on the grass but that's only for the buns that are kept in the hutches without runs attached. All their delux accommodation is on concrete and that's where my buns stay as it's the biggest place for them. They have some fab set ups, should see their bunny cabin!

c05fae6b8e45c452a911e6bb8d69feef.jpg

http://www.bunniesonholiday.com

That looks ace, Boo would love those toys. Will arrange a visit soon I think.

Enjoying this thread

Excellent post A. Someone with your knowledge and first hand experience is a godsend :D

thats ace you have such peace of mind. Do you mind me asking who you use?

I use The Warren Bunny Boarding in Ifold, Anna is the lady, she is amazing!

She does not allow the bunnies on grass, which I think is so important! Her set up is amazing, its my idea of heaven, I'm so jealous :)

thanks Rupert & Tia. Just had a nosey (not that I live anywhere near) - her set ups are so cool too. Its a relief to know there are decent options & a couple up my neck of the woods.

Remember also though that many/most rabbits carry the E.C. parasite and remain asymptomatic throughout their lives. Studies have shown that only 12% of rabbits with very high titres will go on to develop neurological disorders possibly relating to E.C. This means that the majority of rabbits (showing positive) will never develop any symptoms.

Just to put the risk into perspective. I take the point about a run being used over and over again many times though...

I see what you're saying, but I just don't think it's worth the risk, given that boarding is usually for a short period of time and the risk is completely avoidable. I'd be pretty unhappy at a 10% chance of my bunnies becoming seriously unwell from something, when it could easily be a 0% chance from that situation if you simply choose not to board on grass!

Back