• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Boarding - what do you pay and what do you expect for that?

I see what you're saying, but I just don't think it's worth the risk, given that boarding is usually for a short period of time and the risk is completely avoidable. I'd be pretty unhappy at a 10% chance of my bunnies becoming seriously unwell from something, when it could easily be a 0% chance from that situation if you simply choose not to board on grass!

:thumb:

Assuming, of course, that the hard standing areas are always disinfected thoroughly in between customers :)

Assuming, of course, that the hard standing areas are always disinfected thoroughly in between customers :)

Now you're just being pedantic for the sake of it :roll: The primary difference of course being that rabbits tend to eat grass, hence transmitting the illnesses through ingesting the spores on the grass. Rabbits don't tend to eat paving slabs.

Now you're just being pedantic for the sake of it :roll: The primary difference of course being that rabbits tend to eat grass, hence transmitting the illnesses through ingesting the spores on the grass. Rabbits don't tend to eat paving slabs.

*pops into thread

*splutters :lol:

and pops out

:lol:

Having seen some of these others I think I'll go back to the drawing board. Might look into getting someone to come to them instead so they stay in their own environment.

Sent from my SM-G850F using Tapatalk

Having seen some of these others I think I'll go back to the drawing board. Might look into getting someone to come to them instead so they stay in their own environment.

You could ask the Vet Nurses at your Vet's Surgery. Sometimes Vet Nurses will also do Pet/House Sitting to top up their income. One of the VNs at my Vet's Surgery used to do this before she had her baby.

You could ask the Vet Nurses at your Vet's Surgery. Sometimes Vet Nurses will also do Pet/House Sitting to top up their income. One of the VNs at my Vet's Surgery used to do this before she had her baby.
Ooh that's an idea. I have all sorts of other pets too. Snake, lizard, cats, rats so a VN would be perfect! Thanks. :)

Yes but have you ever thought that they may put their feet on them, and clean said feet with their tongues :lol:

... If you feel the need for a hutch to be disinfected between occupants, then I don't see the difference between expecting a hard standing run to be disinfected for the very same reason :D

Last edited:
Yes but have you ever thought that they may put their feet on them, and clean said feet with their tongues :lol:

... If you feel the need for a hutch to be disinfected between occupants, then I don't see the difference between expecting a hard standing run to be disinfected for the very same reason :D

I didn't say I wouldn't expect it to be disinfected for the same reason - I absolutely would. The point I was making is that you cannot disinfect grass, whereas you can disinfect concrete. Even without disinfection the risk is far, far lower, for the reasons I've already outlined.

I must say, for someone arguing that there is very little risk to rabbits being boarded on grass, you seem awfully fixated on arguing that there's a risk associated with them boarding on concrete ;)

I didn't say I wouldn't expect it to be disinfected for the same reason - I absolutely would. The point I was making is that you cannot disinfect grass, whereas you can disinfect concrete. Even without disinfection the risk is far, far lower, for the reasons I've already outlined.

I must say, for someone arguing that there is very little risk to rabbits being boarded on grass, you seem awfully fixated on arguing that there's a risk associated with them boarding on concrete ;)

I have never argued that there is 'very little risk' to rabbits being boarded on grass. I have simply pin-pointed the facts regarding transmission of disease so that the OP had a clear and unbiased picture.

I have known boarders who let rabbits run on concrete and who don't apply the same rules for disinfecting that as they would to their hutches.

As for being 'pedantic for the sake of it' - that's not my style ;)

Just found a local rabbit boarder who seems absolutely wonderful.

She charges £10 for full board for a pair and £8 if you provide your own bedding and food. Seems pretty good value to me but I was wondering what people generally expect to pay?

Also anything specific I should ask/look out for?

Thanks. :)

Blimey, that seems expensive!

We charge £6/day for up to two rabbits. For that, we provide all bedding, hay, numerous types of dried forage, bowls, bottles, litter trays, daily veg (if fed)....it also includes insurance for emergency vet treatment of up to £350 with no excess to pay.

All the owner has to bring is their bunnies' dried food (assuming it's fed).

We do charge £10/day for our 8ft hutches though.

Tracey :)

My lovely lady only charges £5/night for my two and that includes food, veggies, bedding and hay. She has them in a 5ft, two story hutch in her bunny shed and they go out for at least 4 hours a day in a big run. Think she is undercharging personally, but who am I to argue!

She gets me to fill in a care sheet everytime I go andshe insists on seeing vaccination certs, asks when they last saw a vet and religiously disinfects the hutch/toys/litter trays/patio between boarders.

Last edited:
Blimey, that seems expensive!

We charge £6/day for up to two rabbits. For that, we provide all bedding, hay, numerous types of dried forage, bowls, bottles, litter trays, daily veg (if fed)....it also includes insurance for emergency vet treatment of up to £350 with no excess to pay.

All the owner has to bring is their bunnies' dried food (assuming it's fed).

We do charge £10/day for our 8ft hutches though.

Tracey :)

Tracey, how does the emergency vet treatment work? Does this mean that the owner wouldn't pay anything for emergency treatment (up to £350) whilst boarding with you?

Also, what size hutches do two rabbits get for the £6 a day option?

Thank you :)

Tracey, how does the emergency vet treatment work? Does this mean that the owner wouldn't pay anything for emergency treatment (up to £350) whilst boarding with you?

Also, what size hutches do two rabbits get for the £6 a day option?

Thank you :)

I'm interested in hearing about this too, that sounds amazing.

I recently boarded Flo and Tubsy at the local cattery. They had a separate building for bunnies! It was a cabin type building, they had a large run about 8ft x 4ft with hidey spots etc floor was covered in hay for lots of noms. I provided the food.
Cost me £6/day for both of them and they also included insurance up to £200 for any emergency treatment I think.

Back