• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood test to check hormones (GnRH test?)

Liz47

Wise Old Thumper
Apologies for another thread! I posted a while back about if anyone had any experience with leftover spay tissue in females, as Bigwigs recent behaviour has caused her bond to break down with Jake and Jasmine and she is acting very hormonal. Her vet couldn't find any obvious health problems (with any of them), and said although she wouldn't rule out an incomplete spay said to just focus on methods to help her behaviour. We have done this for a couple of weeks now but she is really difficult, very aggressive, scent marking everything etc.

I did some research through Idexx lab and found a test which can be done on dogs and cats, the GnRH blood test which stimulates any left over spay tissue. Has anyone had this done in rabbits? There's two options, one for dogs/cats showing signs of oestrus and one for not showing signs. I'm not sure which one (if any) would be suitable for rabbits? Will be ringing the rabbits vet tomorrow to see if she'll be able to have the test.

I'm not sure that a GnRH blood test would rule out an Adrenal Gland problem :? Yes it would identify the production of Sex Hormones, but the Adrenal Gland can produce Sex Hormones, more so in cases of Adrenal Gland Hyperplasia I think :? This is certainly true for Ferrets.

So I guess the blood test may show if unusually high Sex Hormone levels are present, but not necessarily why.

Just a thought but I wonder if she feels she has to compete with the other female, especially as she was the last one to join the trio? This could be having an effect on her.

Thank you both. Bigwig was always top bun, Jasmine the other girl is very submissive/laid back. Bigwigs change in behaviour caused her to build nests which she would sometimes be defensive over, she would chase/nip the others away from pellets and often be trying to mount Jake. I separated as Jake started to fight back, which led to proper fighting and blood being drawn. Jasmine was terrified and stopped eating pellets/veg, she was even scared of Jake so I've had to slowly rebond them but luckily they are ok now. Bigwig is chinning everything like crazy, scent marking with poo/urine and very possessive over pretty much anything that's near here.

I suppose I'm happy to take a step by step approach, ie if the hormone levels indicate there is production of them consider doing an adrenal panel or opening her up to look for spay tissue. As far as I'm aware adrenal problems are very rare in female rabbits? I can't find anything online/through work, lots in ferrets but again usually males.

Thank you both. Bigwig was always top bun, Jasmine the other girl is very submissive/laid back. Bigwigs change in behaviour caused her to build nests which she would sometimes be defensive over, she would chase/nip the others away from pellets and often be trying to mount Jake. I separated as Jake started to fight back, which led to proper fighting and blood being drawn. Jasmine was terrified and stopped eating pellets/veg, she was even scared of Jake so I've had to slowly rebond them but luckily they are ok now. Bigwig is chinning everything like crazy, scent marking with poo/urine and very possessive over pretty much anything that's near here.

I suppose I'm happy to take a step by step approach, ie if the hormone levels indicate there is production of them consider doing an adrenal panel or opening her up to look for spay tissue. As far as I'm aware adrenal problems are very rare in female rabbits? I can't find anything online/through work, lots in ferrets but again usually males.

It is rare in Rabbits per sai and I have only known of one Doe to be affected (not my Rabbit). My two were both older Bucks. I think residual uterine/ovarian tissue from an incomplete spay would be a more likely scenario.

Thank you :) I'm thinking that's what's going on. It's a bit awkward as the vet said she wouldn't rule it out, but she was the one who did the spay (about a year ago) and was sure everything was done properly/she's never experienced this. Of course I don't blame the vet in any way, I can see how it's possible tiny amounts of tissue can be left behind and the vet isn't at fault really. But I don't want to say this and come across as rude, but I'm going to call when I get chance this morning and ask about doing the bloods first.

Back