• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Blood in urine?

I noticed drops of bright red liquid in Mischief's litter tray tonight. It looked too runny in consistency to be blood so thought probably urine but worried it could be blood stained as was so bright red.

We checked him over and no blood on him or cuts. He is eating fine and poops are normal. We haven't noticed him drinking much but that is normal for him. He gets most of his moisture through his veg which we sprinkle in water. He is lively and has been careering around the bedroom so does seem healthy and happy.

Later as I was cleaning his litter tray out he urinated where the litter tray should be which he shouldn't do really as it's on a blanket but at least it gave me a chance to check his urine anyway.

It was clear with a white colour circle in the centre when he girst urinated. After a while the clear part started to turn pink but the white bit stayed white.

I wondered if it could just be his diet as he has a lot of greens so could be carotene. However the drops in the litter tray were really bright red rather than orange.

Is this a trip to the vets to be sure? How do I know if it's a urine infection or kidney problem rather than just coloured urine from his diet please? I was thinking it would be best to ring vets in morning and check with them but any thoughts would be much appreciated. Thank you x

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk

I had several bunnies who started to produce the orange urine that is connected to diet/metabolism of certain foods. However, I also had a few bunnies who had actual blood in their urine, one from a bladder stone and another from infection.
With harmless red-orange urine the color is consistent throughout the urine. Sometimes with the blood you can see speckles/clots in the normal urine, and the color may not be consistent depending on the quantity of blood.

Peeing outside the trash can also be a sign of UTI. I wish we could see the picture of pee. But sometimes my bunny can pee in red-orange colors too. The article I mentioned has information about urine colors and UTI disease.
You can also take a look at this article. Maybe it will help you.

https://bunnylady.com/rabbit-urine/

Last edited:
Thank you. It was a uniform red colour throughout ie no clots or bits of blood colour.

He doesn't normally pee outside his litter tray. However I took his tray away to clean it and he peed where the litter tray should have been. He has done this a few times before so it's normal for him.

I will keep an eye on it tomorrow and see how it looks. He has had spinach today and some salad leaves which could have made it go red.

I will also encourage him to drink in case he is dehydrated as the pee is darker than usual.

Thanks for the article. It was very informative. Hopefully it is just his diet. It does seem most likely based on what you have both said and the article x

qHAtGZS.jpg

https://www.jwoodvet.co.uk/red-urine/

Thanks Jane. The red urine looks normal based on that information. I will keep an eye on him though to check for bladder sludge aswell. He did pee urine that went a pinky colour except for a white area. I will look tomorrow to check there are no white deposits.

I will also cut down his green veggies like kale/spinach aswell in case he is eating too much calcium and see how it goes the next few days x

Thank you. It was a uniform red colour throughout ie no clots or bits of blood colour.

He doesn't normally pee outside his litter tray. However I took his tray away to clean it and he peed where the litter tray should have been. He has done this a few times before so it's normal for him.

I will keep an eye on it tomorrow and see how it looks. He has had spinach today and some salad leaves which could have made it go red.

I will also encourage him to drink in case he is dehydrated as the pee is darker than usual.

Thanks for the article. It was very informative. Hopefully it is just his diet. It does seem most likely based on what you have both said and the article x

I am glad I can help you. I hope your bunny is good.

I can't see anything unusual in litter tray this morning and Mr Chief is bright and his usual self tucking into breakfast. Will keep eye on him though [emoji4]

I haven't seen anything untoward today in his litter box which is a relief. Thank you everyone for your help on here as I have learnt what to look out for now [emoji4]

I remember when I first had my bridge buns Toffee and Treacle, they both did bright red wee. I panicked and thought they were really sick. Later discovered it was from the dandies I'd given them :?

I remember when I first had my bridge buns Toffee and Treacle, they both did bright red wee. I panicked and thought they were really sick. Later discovered it was from the dandies I'd given them :?
I gave him some salad leaves and baby spinach that day. We had some for lunch and shared it with him. Think it could have been that [emoji6] x

Back