• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Black Wildie

At a place I go birding there are about 4-5 black wildies. It does seem to be quite a common colour. It always surprises me to see them because that area is full of birds of prey like buzzards, harriers and even the odd Osprey in the Summer! They seem to survive well as they're all adults. They never come close enough for a pic, though.

Yes that first pic with my phone, came back with a real camera. Long lens got them. I'm going to try to get closer to them for more pics.

Yes that first pic with my phone, came back with a real camera. Long lens got them. I'm going to try to get closer to them for more pics.

That would be lovely but difficult. You'd need to be downwind, & may need a "hide" / screen with hole for camera. Their hearing is so acute they'll probably hear you move when you try to get the shot. A few veg may tempt them closer particularly as they get used to you.
Baby rabbits are much easier as they're less afraid of humans.

To answer your question about big slightly bulging eyes. This is a sign that they're very alert for predators. Our own rabbits sometimes do it when stressed, & surrounded by predators eg at the vet.
Their eyesight has a huge visual field but is monocular, so they can't see depth. They probably mainly see movement.
The slight bulge enables them to see predators above, & much further behind them.

The head shape is often seen in domestic pet rabbits. It seems to depend on fur growth rather than the shape beneath. Therefore yes, it is similar to Rex rabbits which have short fur.
Your wildie looks identical to my mixed breed Benjie, except that 1 of Benjie's ears grew slightly bigger than the other & "lopped" on that side! However, he would be bigger than your wildie as a 4.00 kilo bun.

Fluffy wild bunny butt! My wildies.

IMG_3189.jpg

That would be lovely but difficult. You'd need to be downwind, & may need a "hide" / screen with hole for camera. Their hearing is so acute they'll probably hear you move when you try to get the shot. A few veg may tempt them closer particularly as they get used to you.
Baby rabbits are much easier as they're less afraid of humans.

They actually hear the camera.

Back