• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Biting?

megansmummy

Mama Doe
Lily has bitten me a couple of times and then yesterday we were playing outside and my youngest daughter (15 months) put her finger through the bar on the 6ft run attatched to their hutch (litterally in a split second and I couldnt get there before she bit) and quick as a flash lily bit her finger and it was a nasty bite :( I did wonder at one point if it would need stitches as it bled for ages and ages and is really deep! :( Darcie wasnt making loads of noise or anything she was just looking through the bars and watching them.

I dont understand why she is biting? she is only young...roughly 4.5-5 months and isnt yet spayed. Whats strange about it is that she will hop over to you and just sink her teeth in...she doesnt act scared, doesnt back off etc..its not that Im trying to pick her up or anything like that :? she comes over of free will and bites... When she sees me coming she comes bouncing over to the door on the run all happy, up on back legs and circling and then BAM blood....

Any ideas why? do you think it will stop when she is spayed? Its a nightmare :( I have moved their hutch and run and swapped with poppy and daisy so they are furthest from the patio as I cant chance the kids getting bitten like that :( They know not to harrass the bunnies and never do anything to frighten them (like bashing the bars, crashing toys into them etc etc etc) and are really respectful of them...we never have a problem with poppy and daisy and my eldest two sit in their run with them and are really gentle playing with them (never picking up).

I wondered if she was being a bit territorial over the hutch/run but I cant stand in the run and change litter trays, bowls, sweep it out etc etc and she doesnt fuss at all...

Given her age I think it's most likely hormones :wave: Female buns can become quite nasty when these start kicking in! She should calm down after she's been spayed :)

I agree with the hormones: however all Buns have poor eyesight close to (once the predator is that close there is no point in seeing them so they have developed long sightedness) and will often nip as an 'exploratory' to see by taste and feel what is in front of them.

I have noticed with ours that those with the poorest eyesight tend to be the nippiest.

Actually I would not be surprised at any pet that nipped at something put through the bars of their cage.

Im always worried about this my youngest is 18 months and wants to stroke our bun through the cage.

But with the cage open the kids can hand feed a few pellets and both bun and kids love this.

Ss

Back