• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

big ooopppsss!, suprise babies !!!

and we could all say Good grief another lots of un expected babies....you have to see from both sides..you say they are rescue rabbits but all that has happened is more rabbits arriving..can you not see why rescue workers and supporters get a bit miffed?
We see this all the time..people saying " oh i had to rescue these animals" then saying they have no money to care for them/neuter/vacs, or space to keep them all..it can be very frustrating

I hope you only have one lot of babies arrive and can find the funds to neuter them all and the space to keep them all.
As said nice to have good intentions and a kind heart but sometimes it just isn't enough. Rescue workers aren't nasty..just worn out from swimming against an endless tide

I won't be keeping them nor am I neturing them I have homes lined up for them already, homes that I know they will be loved and cared for and people who I know will netur and vaccinate.
Next time I will leave them sitting in their own **** , to continue to live in the smallest ever hutches and to continue to be beaten by the kids who had them that way I can't accidentally cause another litter ,
I have been able to keep them seperate apart from the mishap and given them a better life so I fail to see the issue, my finacial concerns unfortunately changed after I took them on but that dosent mean I don't care for them and that I won't be neturing them

I won't be keeping them nor am I neturing them I have homes lined up for them already, homes that I know they will be loved and cared for and people who I know will netur and vaccinate.
Next time I will leave them sitting in their own **** , to continue to live in the smallest ever hutches and to continue to be beaten by the kids who had them that way I can't accidentally cause another litter ,
I have been able to keep them seperate apart from the mishap and given them a better life so I fail to see the issue, my finacial concerns unfortunately changed after I took them on but that dosent mean I don't care for them and that I won't be neturing them

Your title "big ooopppsss! surprise babies!!!" made light of the situation as if it was perfectly ok to make this mistake. Mistakes do happen however for anyone reading this they need to know the facts and why this is actually a step back for rabbit welfare.

Best of luck with the babies Curlyanwurly. I can totally understand why you felt you had to get those buns out of that situation, sounds horrible :( Unfortunately accidents can happen to anyone and I don't think it's fair for you to feel ganged up on (and before anyone starts on me, I support rescues, donate to the Mayhew and take on poorly/unwanted buns myself ;) )

I hope you hang around on RU and let us know how the babies get on :wave:

Hope all the spays and castrations go ok :D xx

Your title "big ooopppsss! surprise babies!!!" made light of the situation as if it was perfectly ok to make this mistake. Mistakes do happen however for anyone reading this they need to know the facts and why this is actually a step back for rabbit welfare.

The families having them wanted babies and wouldn't have gone to the local rspca for them anyway as they charge £45 per rabbit which for most famillies is too much £90 foes unnetured buns plus hutch etc, people won't pay that when they can get them cheaper on places like fb or preloved, or even in the shops they are cheaper, mine are going for £5 each and that's to got towards the neuter if the dad, I understand why rescues charge the amounts they do but can also see why the cost would put people off, not everyone will pay out to have them netured and just want a pet for their kids which is why there are so many unwanteds out there. I havent charged much as I know these families will do right by the buns,
Should I be all serious and depressedby the situation then? Seriously you need to chill, these things happen , at least they will have loving homes that I can visit reguarly,

Did those people plan to take on rabbits, the ones taking your babies, if so the babies have taken up spaces that could have gone to bunnies in rescues, many of which have come from similar or worse situations.
People harp on about being picked on and upset by honest comments, how do you think rescues feel when every time they try to make a valid point, they are accused of being unfair and not understanding.
Accidents shouldn't happen, it's basic- entire rabbits are driven by hormones and will do their utmost to get together.
If it was known the girls had been caught, why were they not given emergency spays, many vets will agree to long term payments.
Well done for rescuing them, but if you can't afford vet bills, it may have been better rehoming them or finding a rescue to help.

Last edited:
Please can members keep their comments helpful and constructive and be careful not to interrogate the OP and scare them off

sorry to add another negative but seems you are now selling them, including any kits, for £5 as the families taking them cannot afford the amounts rescues ask..is this right or am I reading wrong?
If I'm reading it incorrectly then apologies

if right then I really don't know why we bother trying to get any welfare message out. We would love to be able to "chill" but sadly reading many threads like this make it impossible.
I am just dealing with another pair of rabbits I've had to take in, you will see why when I upload pics..and guess what the female is pregnant as they were accidently left together

sorry to add another negative but seems you are now selling them, including any kits, for £5 as the families taking them cannot afford the amounts rescues ask..is this right or am i reading wrong?
If I'm reading it incorrectly then apologies

if right then I really don't know why we bother trying to get any welfare message out..I am just dealing with another pair of rabbits I've had to take in, you will see why when I upload pics..and guess what the female is pregnant as they were accidently left together[/

:cry:

The families having them wanted babies and wouldn't have gone to the local rspca for them anyway as they charge £45 per rabbit which for most famillies is too much £90 foes unnetured buns plus hutch etc, people won't pay that when they can get them cheaper on places like fb or preloved, or even in the shops they are cheaper, mine are going for £5 each and that's to got towards the neuter if the dad, I understand why rescues charge the amounts they do but can also see why the cost would put people off, not everyone will pay out to have them netured and just want a pet for their kids which is why there are so many unwanteds out there. I havent charged much as I know these families will do right by the buns,
Should I be all serious and depressedby the situation then? Seriously you need to chill, these things happen , at least they will have loving homes that I can visit reguarly,

If people can't afford more than a fiver for a rabbit, then they can't afford the vet bills. It would be a good idea to charge a bit more and home visit the people you're selling them to to make sure they have the correct set up for them.

Rabbits can be vaccinated from 5 weeks old, so they'll be fully protected when they're ready to leave their mum at at least 8 weeks old :)

Sounds like the rabbits needed to be out of their abusive situation. Good thing they are safe. Lets hope you only have one litter to deal with. It is hard for rescues to hear of yet another oops litter as they have to deal with this so often but accidents do happen and you are doing your best by neutering/rehoming. Glad they have good homes lined up. Are you keeping any? (Mabe you will know when you see the babies...). Best of luck.

If people can't afford more than a fiver for a rabbit, then they can't afford the vet bills. It would be a good idea to charge a bit more and home visit the people you're selling them to to make sure they have the correct set up for them.

Rabbits can be vaccinated from 5 weeks old, so they'll be fully protected when they're ready to leave their mum at at least 8 weeks old :)

you could always charge more and then donate the rest of the amount to help a rescue centre

Totally gobsmacked!!! If £45 for a neutered rabbit is too much how on earth do they expect to buy one from you and get him or her neutered for less????? Average neuter between £50 & £80 that just does not compute. I would therefore put it to you that these families have no intention of getting the buns neutered. Alarm bells always go off in my head if someone specifically wants a baby, particularly if they are first time rabbit owners....

Why don't you promote savvy rescues who do neuter rather than just the RSPCA one that doesn't...£45 will allow them to adopt a neutered bun - plenty of rescues and 1000's of bunnies.

Yes you do need to be serious about the situation, you have an accidental litter from your own un-neutered rabbits and you are prepared to home the babies without being neutered to people who are not prepared to pay more than a fiver for a rabbit!! And so the chain goes on....

No, I do not need to chill... I need to stop banging my head against a brick wall maybe....

Which RSPCA centres asks for £45 for an unneutered rabbit? I'd be very interested to find this out if you get a moment.

Hello again folks this is an update on the babies, two of them found a new loving home 4 of them have stayed one of them being a boy who will be neutered as soon as hes old enough, the three girls bonded well with my trio and all 6 now share a 6x4ft shed shich is new so will be kitting it out for the winter, the door of the shed leads to a 6ft square run which they have free access to and when one of us is home they get the run of the garden, the boy bonded with his dad and my old boy and they have a 5ft hutch with run which is inside a7ft squard run which they have constant acces to.
So basicly they are staying and all will be neuted or spayed possible as my new job is going well and im doing extra shifts to pay for it.

I would like to stay with the forum as I find it informative and interesting, I have also accepted a giant rabbit who lived in a 4ft chicken run with no shelter no hay and chicken food to eat! Hes having a health check at the vets tuesday but hes so loving and very good and is currently an indoor bun

Last edited:
OPs intentions were good so why is it such a big deal that there's a couple more babies in the world, it's a one-off, and rescues DO charge a lot (probably why people go to pet shops) however, if a new bunny parent has just spent around £300+ on a large secure setup not to mention all the extras, why does it matter if the rabbit is going cheap, they've already made a huge financial commitment.

Now, I want pics of these buns :lol::lol::lol:

Back