• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Best first veggies

lolasuggs

New Kit
My girls are 11 weeks old and have handled the change from breeders feed to excel really well, done it gradually over a week and no tummy probs. Good grass and hay eaters. Just wanted to ask from experienced owners how they introduced veggies - which ones are the best to go for first? How much would you give and when would you start? Theyre mini rex rabbits for info. Thanks

Fresh herbs are generally better tolerated than fresh veg. Herbs like Coriander, flat leaf parsley, Dill. You can give a few sprigs of one type of herb at a time and see if they like them and that their tummies cope OK with them. With veg, dark leafy greens are the best to start off with. I would avoid carrots, except for carrot tops. Cabbage and broccoli is known to cause a gassy tummy for some Rabbits so I would avoid feeding those until the girls are a bit older. Rexes are usually extremely greedy so don’t get fooled into feeding them anything in large quantities !! Rexes will have you believe that they are always starving :lol:

There is also forage around at the moment - bramble leaves, leaves & stems of willow / apple / raspberry - all high fibre and good for teeth & tums.

Fresh herbs are generally better tolerated than fresh veg. Herbs like Coriander, flat leaf parsley, Dill. You can give a few sprigs of one type of herb at a time and see if they like them and that their tummies cope OK with them. With veg, dark leafy greens are the best to start off with. I would avoid carrots, except for carrot tops. Cabbage and broccoli is known to cause a gassy tummy for some Rabbits so I would avoid feeding those until the girls are a bit older. Rexes are usually extremely greedy so don’t get fooled into feeding them anything in large quantities !! Rexes will have you believe that they are always starving :lol:

This seems very true! With my previous bun there were always dried pellets left, but these two seem to eat everything I put in there. Theyre good hay munchers so thats good hopefully - how about dandilion leaves? Are they a good first food?

Dandelion leaves are good - just don't feed too many. Also beware of the side effect of the plant pigments coming out in the urine. Don't panic if it is orange or red.

Back