• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Best barrier cream for urine problems

As some of you may know Blitzen my poor boy is having problems with incontinence at the moment. I can cope with the bathing and extra cleaning/precautions but im thinking there must be a cream that you can put on rabbits bums and legs to stop the urine from coming into contact with the skin. Ive got F10 and only used it today and didnt like the gritty feel to it and i dont know weather it is water proof or just a germicide. There are lot of creams available for babies like Vaseline and sudocrem but i know babies dont lick the cream like buns might. Does anyone know of a cream that can stop the urine from getting to him. BTW his fur has been shaved and hes on Baytril and Metacam. Any experiences or advice very welcome im not sleeping thinking about this boy.

My poor bridge bun suffered with urinary incontenence towards the end of his days. Because we knew he was nearing the end, absolute safety wasn't my concern. However, I bought some cream with tea tree from the pet shop which purported to be for rabbits.

I've also used sudocrem at the suggestion of my (very good) vet when Hector had sore hocks. It worked well and he didn't lick (thankfully).

As some of you may know Blitzen my poor boy is having problems with incontinence at the moment. I can cope with the bathing and extra cleaning/precautions but im thinking there must be a cream that you can put on rabbits bums and legs to stop the urine from coming into contact with the skin. Ive got F10 and only used it today and didnt like the gritty feel to it and i dont know weather it is water proof or just a germicide. There are lot of creams available for babies like Vaseline and sudocrem but i know babies dont lick the cream like buns might. Does anyone know of a cream that can stop the urine from getting to him. BTW his fur has been shaved and hes on Baytril and Metacam. Any experiences or advice very welcome im not sleeping thinking about this boy.

I am glad he's been shaved as that will help you to keep the skin clean and healthy until the problem is solved.

I only use creams with natural ingredients on rabbits. Many vets do advise to use sudocrem, but I won't use that either!

I am glad he's been shaved as that will help you to keep the skin clean and healthy until the problem is solved.

I only use creams with natural ingredients on rabbits. Many vets do advise to use sudocrem, but I won't use that either!

natural ingredients give results some how late but perfect. I agree with you

https://www.odylique.co.uk/soothing-salve.html

Thankyou for the recommendations. Im going to get an organic cream. Spend hours researching and you are all perfectly right again, natural is the way to go. Im not using the F10 today ive read to many nasty things for me to risk it causing more damage. Ive seen a cream in holland and barrets. Natalia baby bottom butter if anyone would like to check it out for me. I can go into the store tomorrow and get that straight away.

Thankyou for the recommendations. Im going to get an organic cream. Spend hours researching and you are all perfectly right again, natural is the way to go. Im not using the F10 today ive read to many nasty things for me to risk it causing more damage. Ive seen a cream in holland and barrets. Natalia baby bottom butter if anyone would like to check it out for me. I can go into the store tomorrow and get that straight away.

Well done you :D That is one I like! x

I have no experience of putting cream on rabbits, but I would think anything based on shea butter is going to be OK.

Not one I would use on a Rabbit in my care as it contains Tea Tree Oil which, if ingested, is toxic to Rabbits.

http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/poison/tea-tree-oil/

http://allnaturalpetcare.com/blog/2...euca_alternifolia-leucadendron-safe-for-pets/

Crikey, I never knew that about Tea Tree Oil :shock:

Yeh, 'natural' doesn't always mean 'safe'. It may be that as with some supposedly toxic plants a Rabbit who ingests a bit of Tea Tree Oil would not come to any harm. But I would just not risk it when there are safer alternatives :)

Is there any in holland and barretts that would be safe to use. I really dont want to wait for delivery because he will be unprotected until then. Thankyou for the help and taking the time to look for me. Its not about the money, i just want it quickly.

Is there any in holland and barretts that would be safe to use. I really dont want to wait for delivery because he will be unprotected until then. Thankyou for the help and taking the time to look for me. Its not about the money, i just want it quickly.

I would be totally happy with the cream you mentioned. Any tea tree oil is such a tiny amount and will not cause a problem for rabbits :D

Ohhh I made a barrier cream for Camp Nibble as occasionally they have bunnies with urine scald. Mine was made from manuka honey, coconut oil, soy wax (for slight barrier effect) & other organic butters - I don't know if they had cause to use it yet - not heard back.

The baby stuff mentioned is just 100% (overpriced) coconut oil - you can buy a jar of Lucy Bee's organic coconut oil from holland & barrett or sainsburys (£6 for 250ml) - you'd never need a huge jar but its fantastic for other stuff for you too.

Ohhh I made a barrier cream for Camp Nibble as occasionally they have bunnies with urine scald. Mine was made from manuka honey, coconut oil, soy wax (for slight barrier effect) & other organic butters - I don't know if they had cause to use it yet - not heard back.

The baby stuff mentioned is just 100% (overpriced) coconut oil - you can buy a jar of Lucy Bee's organic coconut oil from holland & barrett or sainsburys (£6 for 250ml) - you'd never need a huge jar but its fantastic for other stuff for you too.

Yes I know you made your own, but I gather it wasn't on general release :lol:

Back