• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bella - Advice? Second opinion?

:wave: this has happened to bif but not so much weight loss..one vet mistook it for a mass ie cancer...a second opinion saved her life!

if i were you im afraid you are really going to have to seperate her so you can monitor eating drinking pooping and weeing. Its essential that you do this as sehs obviously very ill with it..and stress leads to a knock on effect and she could end up with other problems..bif always gets mites infestation when shes at her worst.

but wouldnt it stress her more been separated? as she does seem to enjoy there company and has really come out of her shell being with the others, i also risk the chance of her not bonding back into the group, i can tell her poo from the others, as hers has ALWAYS been soft, larger and sometimes longer

you must get some protexin fibreplex....its available from the vets or online at pet pahrmacies....no precription required.

you need t give her two tubes in a row..this is full of probiotics and fibre..essential. i also gave bif protexin bio lapis in some water or in a small amount of water and gave it to her as an isotonic solution..kept her going and bucked her up a wee bit.

im guessing i should go see another Vet before doing this? She already has the protexin bip lapis in her water

does she seem ravenous at the fod bowlbut only ate a little? is she eating a huge amount of hay tho....if shes eating..a bit.its not enough.
have you panacured her too?

when i feed them in a morning and evening, they all dive in, thats how i knew one morning she was not right. she has never really been a big hay eater, nibbles i would say, we did get her dif types to try, but its hard to tell if she eats it of the others do...She was panacured when i first got her around 5-6months ago, if not less than that.

stop all pelelts and feed bio lapis and hay for at least 48hrs but only under the supervision of the vet as shes lost so much weight. this is probably cos shes so full of poo her appetite isnt much good..is she drinking ok?

she does drink yes, as you can guess her been part of a group its hard...i would only stop pellets once i have spoken to Vets.

id ask the vet to use a gag and examine her teeth...its the only way to see the back ones..somebuns can only have it done under sedation tho.

okay thanks will remember this, i feel it must either be her teeth, or there must be a reason why she has this blockage...:?

the bacteria in her gut is obviously out of sync.

Explain...:oops:

give bio lpais on food or in drink everyday for at lteast three weeks,,thats what our old vet used to make me do for bif.

Have been for past 2-3weeks now :)

bifs always got tum probs but when shes very stressed etc her gut slows down and she becomes stuffed with poo and doesnt eat well is angry or very subdued.
there are many things that can cause this weight loss tho..it must be eradicated by the vet testing her blood etc. in case its kidney function probs for example.

he did mention doing bloods, if she didnt improve (from her off day)

inssist the vet see her again or another vet there see ehr asap as weight loss in buns is very dangerous that fast.

i know, i just hope the scales were wrong, but she appears to of lost alot of weight, she just feels so skinny, she looks it but always has due to her breed.

im no expert but thatys what ive been thru with mine in the past..others here are way moreexperineced and i hopethat they will be able to help you. xx

Thanks very much. Also the reason i took Bella on, was she was a bun from PAH adoption who was possibly pregnant, so maybe they thought she was pregnant due to feeling the build up of poo inside her?

How on earth could he feel her poo if he says it is maybe runny...:lol: Sorry but if that's what he said it doesn't make sense. Usually an impaction is a solid mass, and if that were the case he should have her on fluids and should have advised you to withdraw pellets.

I would suspect that if he wants to do bloods he is possibly testing her kidneys, or obviously for an infection. I would err on the side of caution and start her on some panacur!

Has she had anything happen to frighten her, any changes that might have stressed her etc....

My exact thoughts....:roll:

Oright, see surely he should of suggested Panacur?

Humm, changes i guess who be spaying and bonding....

I just saw your point about her droppings sometimes being longer than normal....

How old is she..... and has she had tummy troubles in the past.

Personally I have found that some bunnies are genetically predisposed to having a more sluggish gut, and gut movement is a lot slower than it should be (leading to those long poos).

I got Bella on 13th May.
She was Spayed on 4th July.

(just ran upstairs to get my diary) :oops:

She recovered fine...within a few days she was back to normal.

hmmm.... I think what you need to do is closely monitor her weight on a daily basis, keep and eye on her eating habits and behaviour, get her started on panacur, and next week seek out a vet who has good knowledge on bunnies for a second opinion. I would make sure she has a full clinical exam resp rates, abdomen, eyes, teeth, even skeletal etc. Eliminate all obvious causes....pain being a potential issue. If she has lost a substantial amount of weight she really needs a blood test doing to see if it has affected her kidneys... and be aware that if no potential cause is found (if you don't have a titre test done) I would consider an active infection of EC as being the potentil culprit. Give her a 28 day course of panacur and ask the vet about treating the others. I know most vets only treat active infections, but I would be inclined to treat the whole group.x

I would also say that solely down to her long poos that she has extra fibre added to her diet. Some protexin Pro Fibre (vetuk) might be a good supplement, I gave it to Thumper when he lost all of his weight.

hmmm.... I think what you need to do is closely monitor her weight on a daily basis, keep and eye on her eating habits and behaviour, get her started on panacur, and next week seek out a vet who has good knowledge on bunnies for a second opinion. I would make sure she has a full clinical exam resp rates, abdomen, eyes, teeth, even skeletal etc. Eliminate all obvious causes....pain being a potential issue. If she has lost a substantial amount of weight she really needs a blood test doing to see if it has affected her kidneys... and be aware that if no potential cause is found (if you don't have a titre test done) I would consider an active infection of EC as being the potentil culprit. Give her a 28 day course of panacur and ask the vet about treating the others. I know most vets only treat active infections, but I would be inclined to treat the whole group.x

Okay thanks.
I will as of tomorrow feed her separate from the group. Should i feed her up or just normal?

Start panacur for 9days...?

What makes you think EC?

x

Okay thanks.
I will as of tomorrow feed her separate from the group. Should i feed her up or just normal?

Start panacur for 9days...?

What makes you think EC?

x

Weight loss is usually one of the first symptoms of EC. I would feed her seperately to ensure that she is still eating and that she eats enough. I would feed large quantities unless you are sure she doesn't have a blockage....but if she had a blockage it is unlikely she would be passing anything through! If she has a sluggish gut generally it could be something she is predisposed to.

Weight loss is usually one of the first symptoms of EC. I would feed her seperately to ensure that she is still eating and that she eats enough. I would feed large quantities unless you are sure she doesn't have a blockage....but if she had a blockage it is unlikely she would be passing anything through! If she has a sluggish gut generally it could be something she is predisposed to.

Im not sure myself, the vet didnt say blockage, just said theres poo there etc...

She has ALWAYS had soft, largeish poo....

Which is worse when she has Veg.

The weightloss only seems to of happened in the past few weeks, since her episode of me rushing her to the vets......about a 1-2weeks gap for the weightloss

I would say then that she may have some kind of disturbance in her GI tract. Keeping her on probiotics is a good idea. If the weight loss is continuing she definitely needs further tests doing (stating the obvious as you already know that). I'm off to bed now, but I'm sure you should ask Jane what she thinks tomorrow!x

I would say then that she may have some kind of disturbance in her GI tract. Keeping her on probiotics is a good idea. If the weight loss is continuing she definitely needs further tests doing (stating the obvious as you already know that). I'm off to bed now, but I'm sure you should ask Jane what she thinks tomorrow!x

Okay thanks very much for your help.

The Vet did give me some more probiotics when i went the other day for VHD vacs for some of the other buns..

I guess he did say what you just said, its just i expected more answers, but maybe he doesnt know yet? But then again he is a Vet, or is that harsh?

Thanks Very much.

Hopefully Jane will see this :)

Okay thanks very much for your help.

The Vet did give me some more probiotics when i went the other day for VHD vacs for some of the other buns..

I guess he did say what you just said, its just i expected more answers, but maybe he doesnt know yet? But then again he is a Vet, or is that harsh?

Thanks Very much.

Hopefully Jane will see this :)

Vets are like the rest of us, they aren't gods and unfortunately it's a fact that there are very few who are clued up on rabbits. A lot are actually afraid of treating them. I don't have a problem with those who are honest enough to say that it's out of their depth, it's those who continue to treat knowing they don't know enough or have enough experience with rabbit medicine that upset me. I am very wary of who I take my rabbits to after one vet was responsible for the death of one of my rabbits. It was gross negligence on his part but I wasn't educated enough on rabbit health to know that what he was doing and had done was horrifying.

Hope you get answers! Night!s

Thanks very much.
Im going to pop her to Vets this week to use there scales.

We fed her on her own this morning, she did eat a fair amount and is currently sat munching hay...

Tis so confusing.

I reckon im going to go for a second opinion!

Still debating whether or not to separate her though...:?

Back