• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Behaviour change

bumblicious

Warren Veteran
Hi. We had a baby 15 weeks ago. I'm saying this because I don't know if it has any bearing.

Recently I think the bunnies have changed. Just their behaviour, And by recently I only mean the last few weeks probably maybe last month at the most? First it was more Bumble as when I went out there normally they'd both get excited by me or food or both and run around the run and then come meet me at the hutch door for food or strokes if no food. But Bumble never came out to me and didn't realise I was there until I went up to where she was which was very odd. Butter-Bean kept coming out to the run when he heard me coming though. However this did seem to be a phase because this doesn't happen anymore. Bumble now comes out when she hears me coming.

Now it's more Butter-Bean. While he does come out and gets excited with Bumble it's not like before, like the excitement doesn't carry on like it used to. He stays in the run he doesn't come to hutch door readily where I am. Even Bumble doesn't readily although more than Butter-Bean. Although when it's clear I've got the food he does tend to.

Today I let them free range and saw both of them do a binky which is obviously good. But I can't help thinking Butter-Bean's not his happy confident self. Not that he's unhappy I don't think he is. He didn't really come up to m e when I sat in the garden with them like it would have expected him (he did a bit but like not curiously confident happy self it seemed and not like I would have expected)- sometimes it seems like he may be a bit scared of me? When I put some treats in a cardboard box for them downstairs Bumble went to get them and he looked from upstairs not immediately going down and then came down the ramp but quite carefully. Bumble also does not lick me as much as she used to.

I thought it might be because I'm not able to give them as much attention as before because of my baby taking up all my time but then I'm not spending that much less time with them so am not convinced it is that. and she's been with us 15 weeks now and this has only recently started happening. OH thinks it may be because I smell different because of baby? He thinks that as well because everything else is ok and also it was Bumble first whose behaviour changed and that has mostly got better (although still doesn't come up to me like before or lick me as much) and now it's Butter-Bean we're wondering about and so maybe he's now got to get used to my new smell now? Is that feasible? Everything else seems ok they are good together and same as before together and everything so well I guess maybe it is directed at me. It all seems to do with their behaviour their health seems ok and everything I think. I also wonder if Butter-Bean doesn't like the rain because I've thought this before about him. ?? or the cold?

They are outside bunnies so don't have much contact with baby at all at the minute as she's so young I've only brought her out to see them a couple of times so it's not like if they were indoors.

Last edited:
Anyone? Do you think there's something physically wrong? Can he still be unhappy and binky? Could it be the weather?

Last edited:
I agree with your hubby about you smelling different (milk). Smell is more important to buns than sight and as they are otherwise fine and nothing else is different it might be.
It would be interesting to hear from other bun owners who have had babies :)

It could be "spring time". A lot of my buns have got messier etc. And it could be the miserable weather we are having as it does affect them sometimes.

Not quite the same but when my mum became pregnant my parents had 2 hammies. They were friendly and cuddly little hams but as soon as mum got pregnant she couldn't go near them without being attacked. It must have been the hormones as once I was on the scene they went back to letting her handle them :shock: :lol:

I think mum bought some oven gloves for hamster handling when she needed to (clean outs and the like!)

Bumble's behaviour never changed with the weather (we've had her a few years). It's possible it's the weather with Butter-Bean because we've never had him in weather this cold before.

We got Butter-Bean when I was pregnant.

Just been to sort them out for bed and he did seem scared. I mean there was a point where we had a nose rub but he was mostly scared. Bumble is not wanting as much strokes as before and not licking me but she does let me stroke her and she still purrs. I don't get it. It's making me upset. Why would he be scared of me? I'm bottle feeding not breastfeeding so the milk's not in me although I understand I might smell of it still. Should I take him to the vets? would it even be any good at something like this? Even when he first came he wasn't a scared bunny - it took him a month to settle in and accept nose rubs but I wouldn't describe him as scared.

I agree with your hubby about you smelling different (milk). Smell is more important to buns than sight and as they are otherwise fine and nothing else is different it might be.
It would be interesting to hear from other bun owners who have had babies :)

I would suggest this is the reason too.
Are you breast feeding?

I've also seen the complete opposite with a really withdrawn bunny who went the opposite way with a visitor to the rescue.
This wee bun who wasn't into contact/interaction at all started running around when this lady came in, desperate to interact with her. He had cuddles & groomed her décolletage! I was talking to to her about how withdrawn he'd been & it transpired she was breast feeding. The wee bun could not get enough of her!

No we've always bottle fed. My milk never came through either. Do you think this could still be the reason then? Could it explain why he's scared even? Because I smell of baby?

Back