• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been bossy in pets at home today....

Bit of a difference ey lol? You never no that certain person could have been exadurating :) But with the experiences I've have, it would not surprise me, one bit.

Bit of a difference ey lol? You never no that certain person could have been exadurating :) But with the experiences I've have, it would not surprise me, one bit.

There certainly is a bit of a difference.:shock:

However, I think that a 'Head of Pets' (with veterinary qualifications) could reasonably be assumed to be a senior manager within P@H, with authority to speak on behalf of the company and what they claim to do in their stores.

Similar things are also being claimed on the P@H website:http://www.petsathome.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Info_10601_about-pets-at-home_-1_10551

All our store colleagues are fully trained in pet care and dedicated to the welfare of your animals, with most of them being experienced pet owners themselves. So whether you are a new owner or an expert, our store colleagues are on hand to help you make the right choices. We also have a fantastic range of free, informative care sheets for you to take away, offering help and advice on how to look after your pet.

So, based on people's personal experiences of P@H (as often posted on RU):
  • Is P@H's website information incorrect?
  • Is P@H's Head of Pets incorrect about the training and knowledge of the staff?
If P@H do not match up to their claims, then perhaps they should be told wherever/whenever people find specific examples?

After all, P@H do claim, "P@H - Where pets come first".

You research junkie :lol: it'd like to no for myself now though, I'm quite intreged to know how they do train their staff on a real bases, rather then claims and written texts :)

I used to be a Store Manager for PAH.

Pets at Home actually do have quite an extensive training programme in place.

It involves work booklets (very thick), that require the member of staff to learn and find out the relevant information. The booklets are checked by the manager and a test is given at the end of it.

The first booklet has to be completed within the first 12 weeks of employment and during that time, until they are signed off, the person can not sell animals unattended.

There are lots of individual subject matter training books and external courses that people go on.

I can't remember exactly everything, as it seems such a long time ago.

I always maintain, it does depend on the passion for the animals, that the employee has. If to them, it's just a job, then they don't really have the thirst for knowledge on the different animals.

Back