• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding for Elderly Bun

dinklepip

Alpha Buck
My elderly Bella Big Bum (as I call her) has some arthritis in her rear. She is now an indoor bun. I removed her bedding shavings and hay and gave her some cotton bath towels to sit on as I thought she might prefer it softer underfoot. Unfortunately she is a bit of a mucky pup in her pen and when I change the towels I have to go outside and give them a good shake before they go in the washing machine, and unfortunately it's quite a messy game getting all the bits of hay off so they don't mess up my washing machine.

Can anyone recommend anything else I could use which isn't quite so messy?

My elderly Bella Big Bum (as I call her) has some arthritis in her rear. She is now an indoor bun. I removed her bedding shavings and hay and gave her some cotton bath towels to sit on as I thought she might prefer it softer underfoot. Unfortunately she is a bit of a mucky pup in her pen and when I change the towels I have to go outside and give them a good shake before they go in the washing machine, and unfortunately it's quite a messy game getting all the bits of hay off so they don't mess up my washing machine.

Can anyone recommend anything else I could use which isn't quite so messy?

Um, yes it's a messy game :D

I would use vet bed, as at least the urine goes through and she doesn't end up sitting in the wet patch.

Can you provide a hay rack in a different location to the soft bed? You could have a litter tray with a low side (a potting tray is good) and keep the soft bed for sleeping on?

Hello. A lot of us have bought horse blanket wash bags to put fleece in. I give my fleece a shake and a brush with a yard broom. Using a wash bag keeps all bits of hay, etc in the bag and keeps your washing machine clean.

Hello. A lot of us have bought horse blanket wash bags to put fleece in. I give my fleece a shake and a brush with a yard broom. Using a wash bag keeps all bits of hay, etc in the bag and keeps your washing machine clean.

horse blanket wash bag?? mmmmmm that's interesting, might purchase one for myself, thank you

vet bed? never heard of one of those. I use incontinence pads in her toilet corner as it absorbs all her wee wee; I doubt she will use a litter tray now, anything that shouldn't be there gets chucked around lol. Although I do have a low sided seed tray..that could work! I did have a hay rack for her but she is now has the Rosewood Boredom Breaker Natural Meadow Hay Cookies which she seems to prefer to ordinary hay

vet bed? never heard of one of those. I use incontinence pads in her toilet corner as it absorbs all her wee wee; I doubt she will use a litter tray now, anything that shouldn't be there gets chucked around lol. Although I do have a low sided seed tray..that could work! I did have a hay rack for her but she is now has the Rosewood Boredom Breaker Natural Meadow Hay Cookies which she seems to prefer to ordinary hay

It's something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PnH-Veterin...448650582&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=vet+bed&psc=1

You can search Ebay and other places for good value as it's quite expensive. it's fantastic stuff though, as it lets all wet and moisture through whilst staying a lovely soft texture for old bones :D

For elderlies I use a 2 low sided trays - one for the bed (with snuggle safe and vet bed) and one for the litter tray, with newspaper and hay. They can go from one to the other .. The hay is in the litter tray - keeps it tidy

It's something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/PnH-Veterin...448650582&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=vet+bed&psc=1

You can search Ebay and other places for good value as it's quite expensive. it's fantastic stuff though, as it lets all wet and moisture through whilst staying a lovely soft texture for old bones :D

For elderlies I use a 2 low sided trays - one for the bed (with snuggle safe and vet bed) and one for the litter tray, with newspaper and hay. They can go from one to the other .. The hay is in the litter tray - keeps it tidy

oh those type of vet beds. Are they quite thick though?

We use vetbed fleece. We bought a roll of 10 metres by 1.1/2 metres about 15 years ago from ebay. We paid £100 for it but we still have loads left. periodically I cut a piece off. It is great and washes really well. keeps bunnies clean, warm and dry. Works like a very thick nappy liner. Unfortunately ours is grey. You can now get loads of fab colours.

thanks for your help guys, just purchased one which I can cut into two. Will see how I get on with it..or said I say how SHE gets on with it:lol:

Back