• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Becoming a nut job!!!

Floppylop

Young Bun
Am I the only person who spends all their time (when not dog walking) worrying about my bunnies I have two pair a Lionlop pair and Lionhead pair , the first ones are very laid back and present very few problems, the Lionheads are young and obviously lively,, They are in 6' x6' runs in the garage so 36sq ft each, Ialso let them out loose into the garage, where they can explore and run over the top of both runs . Therein lies my problem, when they are out they really trash whatever they can get near, the runs have tops on , but they have started chewing at them on both runs, the sides get chewed....everything
. I knew if I didnt return them forthwith to their own run they would wreck both runs. BUT it makes me sad because I know they love and need this freedom, I am at a loss what to do . Both rus were in lovely codition but now have chew strips and nibble marks on many of the wire spars. I thought of covering with curtain or material whilst they are out, so they wouldnt see the wood to chew, but that would mean the second run was in the dark .....I really am flummoxed any ideas folks, is there something I could attach to the runs permanently maybe some kind of PVcthat would let light in but protect the wood

I think perhaps you need to get to the bottom of why they are chewing. Of course bunnies do chew, but is it maybe that they are bored/trying to get to the other buns/not enough other stimulating things to do whilst out? Can you provide alternatives for them to chew - apple branches or suchlike? Maybe digging areas to occupy them? Also is there anyway to increase their space? A pair of bunnies need 60sq feet :)

Back