• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Beatrix died Wed early afternoon; initial PM findings post 86

I just had a call.

They found no coccidia, not even one.

Though before the results came through she was given some sulphonamide antibiotics as a precaution. She has been getting subcutaneous fluids through the day as they have found rabbits often don't respond well to IV. The nurses have been successfully syringe feeding her and on one single occasion got 24ml into her, which is so so much more than I ever managed.

She responded well to the incubato, her temperature went back to normal and they then became concerned she was too hot. So she was moved to the main hospital area and her temperature went down again, so she was moved back to the incuabtor with a slightly lower temperature setting, and she is still in the incubator now.

The vet is quite concerned about her because of the lack of body temperature self regulation, and says she seems like quite a different animal to the one he saw yesterday afternoon.

I am sorry if I seem obsessed with factual details in these posts, but I do sometimes tend to shut down emotionally about my own stuff when there is something difficult going on. I get on with what needs to be done practically, but am still able to listen to others' emotional difficulties, and then my feelings will hit me at some point in the future when it is more possible to deal with them.

She sounds like she's in the best place possible for her and being monitored very well. Wishing her all the best!

And thank you for all your good wishes :) It is lovely that lots of people are rooting for little Beatrix.

Gosh I didn't know bunnies could have body temperature problems.

At least she can be monitered and it sounds like they are doing their very best for her.

Hopefully they will keep her on the cocci treatment as false negatives from a fecal flotation test are common. Given her symptoms and her previous episode a few weeks ago I would want to err on the side of caution. I am sure that she will be feeling better within herself now that she is being kept hydrated.

Lots more vibes being sent for her xx

Sending many many vibes for Beatrix. You must be so stressed and tired with it all, such a difficult time having a poorly bunny.

Big hug from me.x.x.

Beatrix ate by herself once last night, but not since. She is still unable to regulate her own body temperature and is in and out of the incubator. She still has diarrhoea. They are going to run some more tests.

Thank you again for the good wishes :)

Vet just phoned again.

She died.

I had a feeling it was going to be that when I heard the phone go so soon afterwards.
It's horrible. She was so young and she was so lively and happy and energetic only on Sunday.

He told me about test results which had just come through:
Kidney parameters: normal
Blood urea nitrogen: 35.5 overlimit - meaning it was actually higher than this and the machine couldn't show a higher reading. Normal is 4 or 5 and ok up to 9. So this shows something was really wrong.
Phosphate 3.41 - too high
Also a high neutrophil (white blood cell) count indicating inflammation or infection.

I asked for a PM as we need to know if Ada is at risk, and just WHY.
Unfortunately Aiden can't do it as he has to travel to do some govt work, and a new (to the practice, but experienced) exotics vet called Sergio will be doing the PM.

Back