• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Be aware of fly strike* update post number 54

Hope your bun is ok xxxx

been to the vets, touch wood, she's ok! we got them all off in time, she's had a shave and there seems to be no more eggs, we have been given drops to put on her, some to day and some in 2 weeks that will kill anything nasty and protect her for 6 months, happy outcome :D

I wish there was such a thing as bunny assistance buddies. Like someone who lived in the same area as you who you could get together with to do two person jobs. I had to take my buns to the vet to do their nails but I could have done it if I had someone to assist. I don't know if I'll be able to check their bums myself as they're so fidgetty. I can't pick either of them up but maybe I'm just being too timid about it. :(

There must be other people near me who have rabbits but how would I ever know?

Heres a huge tip, get yourself some thin, summer, leather motorbike gloves!! you can pick bunny up knowing they cannot scratch you, therefore they know you're not frightened and after a while they give up fighting! I took a bunny in off a neighbour that wasnt used to being handled, she was a biter and kicker, but luckily hubby is a biker so had gloves at hand, used them for a while to pick her up and she used to scratch and nip but gave up when she found it had no effect, she was a lovely tame bunny eventually! :D

Heres a huge tip, get yourself some thin, summer, leather motorbike gloves!! you can pick bunny up knowing they cannot scratch you, therefore they know you're not frightened and after a while they give up fighting! I took a bunny in off a neighbour that wasnt used to being handled, she was a biter and kicker, but luckily hubby is a biker so had gloves at hand, used them for a while to pick her up and she used to scratch and nip but gave up when she found it had no effect, she was a lovely tame bunny eventually! :D

I'm not afraid of being hurt, I'm afraid of hurting the buns or them hurting themselves. I have had two vets show me different ways to pick up and hold my buns but they both started from the exam table, whereas my buns are on the floor.

Jaffa just speeds off if he even suspects he will be restrained and Ren tolerates it for a few seconds before she starts struggling and rolling her eyes and snorting (she has a slightly malformed skull so when she gets stressed or sometimes when she's eating she makes a snorty sound) and just looks terrified.

I feel like I need a bunny expert to come to my house and see what's going on and give me some advice. But I don't even know where to start with that request. Even the RSPCA homechecker they sent when I adopted Ren had never actually kept rabbits before. It's like Somerset is an epic wasteland of bunny expertise! The only people I know on here who live anywhere near me are BattleKat and GrahamL.

I would put up with all sort of injuries if I could handle them but I'm so worried I will stress them out or they will end up hurting themselves. :(

im terrified of dropping them when they struggle, bubs is as soft as anything she can be handled so easily, like last night when i was combing the fly eggs out her fur for a whole 2 hours while she was lay on her back! but fudge, well, you have to creep up on him and pin him down to pick him up, he kicks a bit but once on his back hes completely dosile, he doesnt move if you sit him on your lap either! funny! what i hate is when they do kick out they always manage to scratch you on that webbed bit of skin between your fingers!!

Quick novice question :/

How do I check their scent glands and how do I know when they need cleaning?

Quick novice question :/

How do I check their scent glands and how do I know when they need cleaning?

On either side of their bum hole is a little bare patch of flesh, you can spread it open with your fingers to reveal the scent glands, you'll be able to see if they need cleaning if you do this, as there'll be brown gunky stuff in there that isn't very pleasant!!! :lol:

On either side of their bum hole is a little bare patch of flesh, you can spread it open with your fingers to reveal the scent glands, you'll be able to see if they need cleaning if you do this, as there'll be brown gunky stuff in there that isn't very pleasant!!! :lol:

Ooo I don't recall seeing baldy patches apsrt from what I thought to be the ring of where his bits are... will have a good inspection tomorrow :lol: be on standby with explanation photos! Brown gunky stuff doesn't sound fun at all!

Ooo I don't recall seeing baldy patches apsrt from what I thought to be the ring of where his bits are... will have a good inspection tomorrow :lol: be on standby with explanation photos! Brown gunky stuff doesn't sound fun at all!

Best to be safe than sorry.

Good luck.

I see. I think I can check Wafer's when he's flopped, but Maia would have my hands for that! I'll see what I can do.

Just thought I would update you all on Estelle.

We've been to the vets this week and poor Estelle has cystitis. Fortunately she is responding well to good old baytril and some metacam.:thumb:

Now the interesting fact is that because she was in some discomfort, she was lying slightly differently, and this left her left hand side anal gland more exposed than would be normal. So the nasty, nasty fly made the most of such an opportunity.:love::evil:

So one thing let to another. Thank goodness I spotted the........weeny maggots when I did.

Anyway, Estelle is feeling brighter and happier now..................even if she does expel a huge amount of wee all over the place when she is held in order to administer her medication. Better out than in!

Thank you for your kind messages.

had a good check of my fours scent glands and bum area yesterday, they also had a brush and nail clipping. All I can say is pooooooey....those scent glands reek. Its almost like really strong coffee :shock:

Back