• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

*Be aware of fly strike* update post number 54

Misty is very cross at having been checked. I couldn't get right into her scent glands but her bottom is clean and dry. I found a maggot in her hutch yesterday despite it not being long since I last cleaned it so I'm really paranoid I missed something when I checked her.

Donny and Lola are nightmares when it comes to checking them.. Couldn't get a good look today but going to do it properly tomorrow. I hope the weather is like today too so I can give the shed a really good scrub down!

Good reminder. I've been checking Nutmeg a lot as she's recently acquired a habit of weeing and then sitting in it :roll: checked her scent glands too tonight and they could do with a clean :mrgreen:

Oh dear :( I'm very worried! I've never (well rarely) checked their bums before, I really thought they'd never get fly eggs on them as long as their bums and litter tray was clean :( especially now they're indoor bunnies, ill start checking now, I don't really know what I'm looking for thou, all I see is white fluff!!! And I can't part it because I need to have two hands on them holding them :? Any tips?

I bought rear guard ages ago and realised it doesn't have instructions on it. How is it used? Also my rabbits are inside and white I'm terrified ill miss it,

Also I'm not expert on bunny bottoms what are the scent glands

Thankyou for the reminder, I went and got bephar fly guard today and applied it as best I could to Jims and Cookie and also gave their house a good clean, I have been a bit slack recently, no anymore!! I have never checked their scent glands as I have never been able to locate them and as they are so difficul to handle I makes it near impossible!
If I see a fly in the house, I chase it around and either kill it or try and get it out the window! I must look like a mad woman but my babies come first!
I am glad your bunny is ok! So worrying!

Imogens are fine, Sebastians are not. Oh my lord the smell :mrgreen: someone come and do them for me, it's gag worthy :lol:

i too have just found maggots on my bunny, weeny weeny ones, and 2 larger ones in her glands, shes very old and finds it hard to clean herself so i have to clean her bum quite a bit, managed to remove all moggots and spent 2 hours on her getting the eggs off with a nit comb, what do you think the chances are that some may have 'entered her?' whipping her to the vets 1st thing in the morning. Also she seems to have lost the use of one of her back legs (only happened today) do you think this could be related? i have been reading up about it and it says the maggots release toxins that causes shock and strokes?

I have a really bad feeling she will be PTS tomorrow :cry:

I worry about this. I don't check Annabella as she is stressed by any touching/picking up and so doing bum checks are super stressful for her - wide eyes showing whites, heart pounding, fast breathing, making herself as small as possible - all signs of a very stressed out bun :( . I have to chase her to pick her up, and she won't go anywhere near me (even for food) when I do regular bum checks. I don't want her to be so scared, so I figured quality over quantity and that the risk may be worth a happier life for her.

For Barney I do a quick check or two daily, but he'll allow himself to be held for approx 30 seconds before he goes mental and I can't keep hold of him, so it is quick and he also starts to struggle if I try to part the fur around his privates. If I try to carry on longer he does back flips and he has fallen before. It's hard because he is a big rabbit and I can only use arm to hold him in place whilst I use the other hand to try and search his fur.

They both are white around their bums, which doesn't help at all. And the maple tree overlooking the garden attracts flies as it is sticky :( They are rear-guarded, I hope this is enough.

i too have just found maggots on my bunny, weeny weeny ones, and 2 larger ones in her glands, shes very old and finds it hard to clean herself so i have to clean her bum quite a bit, managed to remove all moggots and spent 2 hours on her getting the eggs off with a nit comb, what do you think the chances are that some may have 'entered her?' whipping her to the vets 1st thing in the morning. Also she seems to have lost the use of one of her back legs (only happened today) do you think this could be related? i have been reading up about it and it says the maggots release toxins that causes shock and strokes?

I have a really bad feeling she will be PTS tomorrow

It sounds like the maggots may already be inside her and damaging her.... please get her to the vets NOW. Flystrike is an EMERGENCY and you need to get her to the vet no matter the time. Your vet practice will either have an emergency service themselves or if you call their phone it will put you straight through to an emergency service or give you the number for it. Please get your bunny to the vet.

If treated immediately, many bunnies survive flystrike. If left untreated, all die. Please get your rabbit to the vet now, this can't wait till morning.

Thank you so much for this. Have just had to go out to the bunny shed and wake them up (not very happy) and bring them into the kitchen in the light. Both were clean as a whistle, thankfully, but very unimpressed. Full on panting and scratching. Tough love :(

I wish there was such a thing as bunny assistance buddies. Like someone who lived in the same area as you who you could get together with to do two person jobs. I had to take my buns to the vet to do their nails but I could have done it if I had someone to assist. I don't know if I'll be able to check their bums myself as they're so fidgetty. I can't pick either of them up but maybe I'm just being too timid about it. :(

There must be other people near me who have rabbits but how would I ever know?

I have a really bad feeling she will be PTS tomorrow :cry:

Hope your bun is ok xxxx

Imogens are fine, Sebastians are not. Oh my lord the smell :mrgreen: someone come and do them for me, it's gag worthy :lol:

I checked my two's anal scent glands for the first time the other night too, and oh woo... they are potent!! I just assumed that rabbit's scent wasn't strong to humans, I get chinned all the time by Lil and I have never noticed a smell, obviously anal scent glands are different :shock: I definitely agree that it's gag-worthy, I couldn't get the smell off of my hand either, took many hand washes and a shower :shock:

Back