• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bar chewing/rattling

So I've had to change my bunnies set up for now. They both each have there own cage and extra space with a run attached on to the cage. At the moment it seems milo is enjoying her new location and set up and space. However nosey isnt so happy she only chills in her cage and when in the pen she just chews and rattles on the pen bars aggressively, like shes trying to move them/ break them to get out.

Prior to the new set up they both took it in turns free froaming downstairs and in the garden. Due to behaviour problems and needing smaller space to recover safely in after the spraying(going to make the runs smaller when this time comes.) So I got them runs to attach on to there cages so that they still have plenty of space.

They can see each other but arent near each other right now due to not getting along. Do you think shes only rattling the bars pt of protest of having less space than normal? Will she adjust to her new smaller roaming space and stop rattling eventually?

2weeks till they get sprayed.
Then 8 weeks after I will begin to try and rebond them again. If I do manage to successfully rebond them they will both be allowed to free roam downstairs and outside again.
633218e170a3cdc967e60b6dd9287fe9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A105FN using Tapatalk

Yes, she probably is frustrated about having less space. Could they have free roam in separate rooms ?
It's not really possible to give them separate rooms to be free roam in at the moment as the living room and dining room are open plan, no where else for cages and pens to go, it's a struggle and tight squeeze as it is...I allready want to get rid of some future in here. Nosey no long ago managed to jump up on to her cage and out the pen she wasnt happy with me putting her back :( she thumped at me.....

I'm really hoping she does settle

Yes, I think it's very likely that she's frustrated, too, either because of the lack of space, or because she wants to get to Milo (not necessarily for positive reasons), or both. From the photo, it looks like there isn't really enough room in the run to run and jump and binky around and explore and be an active bunny, and since she's used to having more space, it makes sense that she's trying to get out. To be honest, I think it's very unlikely that she'll just get used to the smaller space and will stop rattling the bars, because it won't stop being frustrating to her. She has all this energy, and not enough space to use it in. The RWAF recommends a permanent space of at least 3m x 2m. Since IM's idea of letting them free roam in seperate rooms isn't possible, could you use the run panels to split the room in half, so they both have half a room? You'll need to cover the panels with something so they can't fight through the bars.

If I understand your introduction post correctly, they also have less space right now because Milo has been spraying and pooping everywhere? I get why that's not nice to have inside the house, but it's not really fair to restrict her space like this because of that. She still needs a large permanent space to exercise whenever she wants to. Can you get something to protect your floor and just let her have her space? There's a big chance that this behaviour will go away after she has been spayed and rebonded, so it'd hopefully be for just a few weeks.

Yes, I think it's very likely that she's frustrated, too, either because of the lack of space, or because she wants to get to Milo (not necessarily for positive reasons), or both. From the photo, it looks like there isn't really enough room in the run to run and jump and binky around and explore and be an active bunny, and since she's used to having more space, it makes sense that she's trying to get out. To be honest, I think it's very unlikely that she'll just get used to the smaller space and will stop rattling the bars, because it won't stop being frustrating to her. She has all this energy, and not enough space to use it in. The RWAF recommends a permanent space of at least 3m x 2m. Since IM's idea of letting them free roam in seperate rooms isn't possible, could you use the run panels to split the room in half, so they both have half a room? You'll need to cover the panels with something so they can't fight through the bars.

If I understand your introduction post correctly, they also have less space right now because Milo has been spraying and pooping everywhere? I get why that's not nice to have inside the house, but it's not really fair to restrict her space like this because of that. She still needs a large permanent space to exercise whenever she wants to. Can you get something to protect your floor and just let her have her space? There's a big chance that this behaviour will go away after she has been spayed and rebonded, so it'd hopefully be for just a few weeks.
I'm not sure if the photo makes it look smaller or not that I posted before. Milo is pretty happy and content in her space (at the moment) shes flopped and got cosy a few times and has zoomed from side to side a little bit. She has a rug down (the one she kept peeing on and near)

I'm still sorting a rug/ floor covering for nosey as shes got lament right now I know it's not the the best for them to move about. Think going to have to be lined with cardboard temporarily untill I can get her a rug as well.

Nosey isnt that bothered about milo, she was just walks past her cage and goes straight out in the garden. Milo however wants to go straight to noseys cage rather than go straight in the garden.

I knew it would be a long shot that she may not adjust to her new temporarilly smaller place but I can hope. Using the pen panels to split the room In half maybe possibility, depends if I get furniture moved not. If I do put panelsacross the rooms nosey would still have to go through milos space to get to the garden.

I think Milo only started peeing everywhere to mark it as her space and with having lament down and been private rented I cannt risk her recking the floors I'll get kicked out.
I know it's not fair reducing there space but I am trying my best to give them more space and to keep them happy and healthy.

I'm still unsure if the garden could be used as a neutral space again if I didnt let them out for a while.

Another reason would like them to adjust to a smaller space for now is so there use to a smaller space for there recovery times from my research it says to limit exercise and the amount of space they have to move around in? So its less stressful for them when they come home and are allready stressed and in pain from surgery.

I've sorted cardboard now so on going to lay that for nosey then I'll attach another photo of noseys current set up
dcb0b990d05d9679e41f6d9c229e375b.jpg

Noseys happy at the moment nibbling her cardboard floor.

Only other thing I can think of is to swop them over completely so that nosey is where milo is so if I do panel across then nosey doesnt have to go into milos space to go out side. [emoji2368].

The situation is stressing me out it has done all day. Just want them both to be safe and happy and healthy and praying spraying them will help with behaviour issues
d92495575de61b01ee8afe84aa4f80d4.jpg

Oh, it does look bigger in this new photo. :) Are you planning to keep them in these runs until you can try to rebond them? Since that will be a while yet, I'd still try to give them more space. I absolutely believe you're trying your best to give them more space and keep them healthy and happy. It's clear from your posts that you care a lot about them, or you wouldn't be here asking for advice, and it wouldn't be stressing you out so much. I'm sorry this situation is so difficult for you. It can be so hard to do the right things for our bunnies when the circumstances aren't ideal. I don't bring up their space because I think you don't care. It's just that having enough space is very important for bunnies' emotional and physical welfare, and especially with their being spayed soon, you want them to be in best shape they can be. I think people often underestimate the amount of space bunnies need, but like I said, the RWAF recommends a permanent space of 3m x 2m, and they can of course deal with a smaller space temporarily, but it'll be at least 2 months until you can rebond them. It's a bit tricky to divide the room if one would have to go through the other's space to get to the garden. Maybe you can put the one staying inside in her cage temporarily while the other bunny walks through to get to the garden, and then let her out again when the other is outside?

I'm afraid I'm not completely sure whether you can use the garden as a neutral space when they've been there before. I've never bonded bunnies outside. I guess if you have a lawn their poops will be all over it, and it would be hard to clean that. If you have paving stones, I think you could easily make it neutral by cleaning those and creating a bonding space with the run panels. I suppose that either way, letting them use the garden until bonding isn't going to make a difference, because you can either make it neutral (by cleaning) or not (if you have a lawn).

I definitely get that Milo's spraying is a problem when you're renting your home. That's why I suggested getting something to protect your floors. :) You can often get cheap leftover pieces of vinyl in shops that sell flooring. That might be an option? You can add rugs, like you're planning, to make it more comfortable for them to walk on.

It's true what you found out during your research, that you'll need to restrict their exercise for a little while after they've been spayed. Making their space smaller now so they'll be used to it in two weeks, though, is a bit like staying home for two weeks before a surgery because you won't be able to leave the house after the surgery. Yes, by the time you've had your surgery you'll be used to not going outside, but you'll have missed out on a lot during the two weeks before it. They're going to be annoyed and frustrated by not being able to have as much exercise as they want after their spays anyway, so I'm not sure it'll make much of a difference. :)

Back