• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bar Biting

yes he is neutered! he goes out in his run and even free ranges in the garden for hours in spring and summer... he still will bar bite i bet!!

lmao i think there's no hope for me is there? ear plugs i think willbe my best option :roll: I feel so sorry for the lass looking after Ellie and Fiver while im away. She will be traumatised lmao.

:lol::lol:

Yeah, I don't know what to say, I'm pretty out of ideas! Only thing I can think of is that he has a lot of energy when going in his cage, so maybe try to wear him down before you put him in? Maybe chase him around a bit as a game, or give him a treat only after he completes a number of obstacles, liking jumping up and off the bed and running around etc... (Bunnies really are just fluffy toddlers, aren't they? :lol:)

Do you have any pictures of Fiver? I need to see this terror for myself!

lmao yes i will post one for you :p

Thing is, he's fine all night untill it starts getting light.. so obviously, the further time goes on the earlier it gets light :shock: and the earlier he bar bites :cry: im going to get ear plugs i think. I wold love to leave them both out all the time but Fiver insists on jumping on the bed contiinoiusly and scrabbling at me and jumping on me while im trying to sleep. :roll:

I couldn't deal with him and Ellie being outdoor buns, i'd worry constantly. lmao. Whats really bad is that he is about 10000000 times better since i got Ellie :shock: He used to bar bite litterally everytime he was in his cage. But now its if he is closed in and people are up and about or its light.. i guess he thinks that if its light then everyone should be up and about :roll:

oh and a wifebun would help too, somewhere else for him to focus his mind ;)

i dont think Alvin has once gone after the wallpaper since he got pearl :love:

ohhhhhhh i so wish that was trueeee biggles taught carrie how to steal wallpaper the lil blighter

I agree with the ignore, i now move my buns from my bedroom to the hall every night cuz as soon as iggles sees me looking at him he bar bites and rattles the cage this also at first light, strangely they are as quiet as a mouse in the hall :roll:

S7306564.jpg

There he is... the demon!! looking so cute and innocent... ooooh nooo. its all a lie. He's satan reincarnated!!

lmao yes i will post one for you :p

Thing is, he's fine all night untill it starts getting light.. so obviously, the further time goes on the earlier it gets light :shock: and the earlier he bar bites :cry: im going to get ear plugs i think. I wold love to leave them both out all the time but Fiver insists on jumping on the bed continoiusly and scrabbling at me and jumping on me while im trying to sleep. :roll:

I couldn't deal with him and Ellie being outdoor buns, i'd worry constantly. lmao. Whats really bad is that he is about 10000000 times better since i got Ellie :shock: He used to bar bite literally everytime he was in his cage. But now its if he is closed in and people are up and about or its light.. i guess he thinks that if its light then everyone should be up and about :roll:

Sorry for my spaghetti throwing of ideas here, but have you tried controlling the light that goes into the bunny room? Putting heavy shades over the windows could make the bunnies think it's night time, and Fiver would ideally stay quiet. Then you get to play God in the morning! :lol:

lmao!! id like to play god...and im afraid i cant stand light while im sleeping so i already have thick, dark curtains which makes it pretty dark.. i can't get shades.. coz guess who would eat them? :roll:

My curtains have several large holes in them now thanx to Fiver :) He seemed to enjoy chewing them so i have to tuck them out of the way now..he even taught Ellie to do it :shock:

Dont worry, all your suggestions are really good... but he isnt a normal bunny lmao!!

i believe everything has been exhausted. Thankyou everyone very very much for all your answers :) I will use ear plugs and i may train Fiver to do bunny show jumping lmao. Always wanted to do that...and then that may get some energy out of him....ha!

:)

I have the same problem, with Buzz. Luckily he's outside.

It worries me more than annoys me because I keep wondering why he's doing it. It's obvious that he wants attention and he craves company (he hasn't got a girlfriend) but I'm not in a position to get another rabbit yet. Have you tried making an unpleasant noise like a clap every time he does it. If he started associating the startling noise with bar-biting then he may stop doing it?

yup :) he occasionally stopps for about 5 mins if i yell his name. But he soon goes back to doing it. He now runs away from the door when i get up because he knows he'll get sprayed with water or told off... :roll: so now i cant even give a negative outcome to his bar biting.

yup :) he occasionally stopps for about 5 mins if i yell his name. But he soon goes back to doing it. He now runs away from the door when i get up because he knows he'll get sprayed with water or told off... :roll: so now i cant even give a negative outcome to his bar biting.

nope you wont bunnies is clever :lol::lol:

Bunnies is irritating...but i love them!!! :p

I'm about to go to bed now... so getting prepared to get mugged by them for their food lmao! :p Will no doubt be up with Fiver bar biting ugh... may leave him out if he can be good enough to stay off the bed... but knowing him he'll wake me up in an hour jumping on my head lmao!

Bunnies is irritating...but i love them!!! :p

I'm about to go to bed now... so getting prepared to get mugged by them for their food lmao! :p Will no doubt be up with Fiver bar biting ugh... may leave him out if he can be good enough to stay off the bed... but knowing him he'll wake me up in an hour jumping on my head lmao!

i left Alvin out in scotland... he woke me up eating the bloody wood of the bed.... good luck, hope you manage some sleep :wave::wave:

just thought i'd let you all know that he was really good last night. Although he jumped on me at about 7am he soon realised that i wasn't letting him up on the bed and he got bored and decided to chew his hay tube lol. All together he was very good, he didnt jump on me at al during the night :)

Just went to check on them and he managed to find a way under the bed and so im not amused lmao. :roll:

Sounds like I need Fiver to wake me up in the mornings! Bramble tends to chew on his wire after breakfast......I sometimes wonder if he is cleaning his teeth!

hahaha. most likely just wanting attention... and you really dont need Fiver..he's a pain in the bum... and yet i still love him? lmao :p

Sounds like stereotypical behaviour when he is feeling frustrated (waiting for his breakfast!) I wonder where he learnt to do this - if it was from his mum (who might have been kept in less than perfect conditions) you'll probably not break him of the habit as it makes him feel better. I had a rescued bun who always scratched and scratched at the corner of her cage even though the cage was permanently open and she had 50 sq foot aviary to run in. I suspect the bahaviour helped her deal with her previous crappy life.

I have my rats in my room and they like to sit and bang their wooden toys against the side of their cage all night :lol:

I am used to the noise now and can't fall asleep if they are quiet, if they are all asleep and I can't hear them breathing I call their names until they start moving around the cage and then I am fine to go to sleep once I can hear them :lol: They don't even chew they just bang on the cage, if I open it they just sit there like what are you doing and don't even come out :roll:

It does cause a problem sometimes if they are being very loud though because my mum and brothers sometimes can't sleep listening to them. The sound seems to just go through the whole house! I sometimes leave the radio going all night, with the sound low and its close to their cage they seem to not throw things with music playing. I don't like leaving things plugged in overnight though so I only do it occasionally when they are really going for it and the whole family are unable to sleep :lol:

With my boys it is definitely an attention thing, they just like people being close to the cage talking to them and watching what is going on so when the lights go out they know if they make enough noise the light will be turned back on and someone will come over to the cage

I have my rats in my room and they like to sit and bang their wooden toys against the side of their cage all night :lol:

I am used to the noise now and can't fall asleep if they are quiet, if they are all asleep and I can't hear them breathing I call their names until they start moving around the cage and then I am fine to go to sleep once I can hear them :lol: They don't even chew they just bang on the cage, if I open it they just sit there like what are you doing and don't even come out :roll:

It does cause a problem sometimes if they are being very loud though because my mum and brothers sometimes can't sleep listening to them. The sound seems to just go through the whole house! I sometimes leave the radio going all night, with the sound low and its close to their cage they seem to not throw things with music playing. I don't like leaving things plugged in overnight though so I only do it occasionally when they are really going for it and the whole family are unable to sleep :lol:

With my boys it is definitely an attention thing, they just like people being close to the cage talking to them and watching what is going on so when the lights go out they know if they make enough noise the light will be turned back on and someone will come over to the cage

haha i was exactly the same when i had ratties in my room :p couldn't sleep when they were quiet...sometimes woke me up squeaking like lmao. Always one bullying the little guy lol.

I honestly think Fiver just HATES feeling trapped...maybe he's caustrophobic lmao. During the day if i shut him in while im doing something then he will bar bite and bar bite. But atnight he is quite happyto go in..until the light comes up. I think he thinks that if its morning he should be out coz even if i feed him he will bar bite immediately afterwards :roll:

Back