• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Back from the vets...has anyone experienced this?

NatalieH

New Kit
Last night I noticed Millie hadn't touched much of his food so I tried to give him some treats but he wasn't interested so this worried me as he's usually desperate for them! It didn't look like he had done the toilet much either but what was there was normal.

The vet checked everything- his teeth (although he had a dental a couple of weeks ago), his ears, his bottom, she felt all his guts and listened to them too but nothing seemed to be wrong! Has anyone else had a bun with these symptoms but no apparant cause? I'm worried something could have been missed and that his medication won't cover it.

He's been given Baytril incase there's anything underlying, Zantac syrup incase his guts need to start moving, and a probiotic and if he doesn't improve I've to take him back.

Now a bit of a rant-I phoned the emergency vet for advice, they hardly listened long enough to hear what the problem was and just said I'd need to take him down, the consultation fee is £135. I was unsure of taking him there as it's such a long drive and I'm not sure of their reputation with rabbits so I found another place; they specialize in small animals plus they were helpful and were £40 cheaper but I wasn't allowed to go there as my vet doesn't have them registered as their emergency service! I thought I should have a choice of which vets I use!

take and register them to which ever vet is most expierianced. it doesnt matter if your vet says you can or not...just chanege vets. also it sounds like stasis which is when the gut stops moving. it could also be bloat. or other problem such as not eating due to pain he eneds some kind of pain relief such as metacam ideally plus i would say a gut stimulant x

Well my own vet is great with them but in emergencies out of hours we have to go to the PDSA and most vets in and near Glasgow do this too. Has anyone ever been here with their rabbits?

That's what I had thought she checked for and she said the Zantac syrup would help get the gut moving just incase. I've tried searching for this but I can't find out much about it being used for rabbits. Have you heard of this?

I also asked about Metacam but she said he doesn't seem to be in pain. Plus anytime he does get it, it doesn't agree with him!

Edit- after reading some other threads I think I may have misunderstood what the Zantac syrup is for- should I see if there is any improvement with the medicine he already has before trying a gut stimulant?thanks.

Last edited:
Did they check for blockage, if there was definitely no blockage then your bunny should have been given gut stimulant. Any suspicion that there is a blockage they they should not have it. They can do a conscious x-ray to see if there is anything.

Maybe get a second opinion or go back to your vet.

Hes made a big improvement today and is almost back to normal with his eating!

I noticed yesterday that he wanted to eat but it was as if he didn't have the strength to, but now the medication seems to be working he seems a lot happier to chew.

Thanks for your help! I'll keep it in mind for future :)

Back