• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baby rabbit nest - advice needed!

Thanks. yeah it seems she's doing a fantastic job.

Re predators: I've put a home-made cage over their 'area'. It seems to be ok for cats etc. Mum comes in and out through a small hole she has burrowed.

As you say, they are starting to move around. I'm going to have to move them somewhere more enclosed very soon.
I'm trying to find an alternative. i'd ideally like to build something but I can't get any materials I need where I live (I've looked around for those storage cubes some people use). I'm going to try get hold of some wood to make something but it's not easy. If anyone has any suggestions I'm more than happy to hear! :)

I guess I have a few more days but any longer than that they're going to be in trouble if they move around a lot.

We're intending on keeping some and giving some away. It breaks my hear to think about it now; but I guess we can't take care of 9 rabbits.
Father has been rehomed yesterday. it was soooo sad :(. He was so friendly (definitely the friendlier of the two) and I miss him. But he has gone to a good home it seems so hopefully he'll be happy there.

Well done for taking care of mum & babies & asking for advice :thumb:

Please get the babies sexed at 8 weeks and split boys from girls - boys can be fertile at this age! Please don't remove them from mum before then though :)

I know you've already re-homed dad but it would be great if he could be neutered. It will stop any further accidents but as important, he will feel less frustrated and be more relaxed so a much nicer life for him going forward :)

When the kits are fully weaned please consider having mum speyed (+ any you are keeping). Female rabbits have a very high risk of developing uterine cancer if they are unspeyed and again, hormones = frustration :(

If you are planning to keep some of the babies they need to be properly sexed, neutered when old enough and then re-bonded (if they've been apart).

Rabbits can live for 10-12 years so this is a long term committment. It's worth spending the time, money & effort now as it will save you lots in the long run :)

Please keep us updated. Mum is lovely :love:

Well done for taking care of mum & babies & asking for advice :thumb:

Please get the babies sexed at 8 weeks and split boys from girls - boys can be fertile at this age! Please don't remove them from mum before then though :)

I know you've already re-homed dad but it would be great if he could be neutered. It will stop any further accidents but as important, he will feel less frustrated and be more relaxed so a much nicer life for him going forward :)

When the kits are fully weaned please consider having mum speyed (+ any you are keeping). Female rabbits have a very high risk of developing uterine cancer if they are unspeyed and again, hormones = frustration :(

If you are planning to keep some of the babies they need to be properly sexed, neutered when old enough and then re-bonded (if they've been apart).

Rabbits can live for 10-12 years so this is a long term committment. It's worth spending the time, money & effort now as it will save you lots in the long run :)

Please keep us updated. Mum is lovely :love:

I'm not sure there is much chance of them being spayed/neutered in the middle east, unless the OP is VERY lucky and has a great vet nearby.

It might be a case of providing a huge amount of space and keeping the girls in a group (potentially removing any that cause problems along the way?). I think that would likely give the best chance of some of them, at least, having a friend.

OP- did you read the link previously posted?

Just an update.

Kits seem to be doing well. I can only count 7 now. I really hope I miscounted before and that we didn't loose one poor kit (there doesn't seem to be any sign of it)....

I'll try post some pics soon.

Most of them are nice and fat however two look a bit scrawny (they have been so all along).
Also they seem to be missing patches of fur - one around the eyes and the other around the neck area. It's perfectly symmetrical and uniform on both; could it be a birth defect?

Last edited:
I've been watching them for a few days now.
It seems that the missing fur is probably some sort of mite or parasite. it's mainly missing behind the ears, there's dandruffy stuff and the little ones scratch constantly.
Interestingly, whilst it seems they all are scratching, the missing fur is only on some of them.

Is there any way I can treat this being that they're young and living in such close quarters?
I saw that someone on the net treated it with Listerine. Is this effective? How do I do it? (just a cotton swab on the missing fur areas or all over the body??). This would be great because I can get it easily here!

I'm worried about using it on rabbits so young because maybe the mother will start rejecting them if they smell of mouthwash?
Should I just wait and let them grow before treating? The poor ones seem to be itching a lot.

Anyone got any suggestions what I should do here?

Last edited:
The kits are very cute :D. I really know nothing about baby bunnies I'm afraid so I have no idea about the mouthwash thing. Do you have a vet you could see or ring for advice?

Back