• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby Gates

My old one is squeeze and lift. This one (the one pictured) isn't a lift one...it just swings. If I can do it with my small, weak hands, then anyone can!! :D

Is the one I was looking at from Mothercare a lift one or a swing one?

It swings. It's also great, because you don't have to lock it! To shut it you can push the handle down half way. This stops you from moving the gate....but wouldn't stop little fingers (Hence the lock button). ....sorry..thinking of babyness...Not many bunnies would be able to lift up the handle :lol:

Hi Bunnytoes, the gate you have, when you say you can lift the gate, does it still stay on the wall or does it come away and you have to put it back? Also what height is it?

When you pull the handle up it releases the gate and you lift or push it away from the wall. When you put it back you don't have to readjust it. Just push down the handle and it tightens to how it was. I measured it and it is 27 inches high not counting the handle.

I have ordered the gate from Mothercare now and will some how secure some mesh to it. Any ideas?

This is how you open my gate, in pictures! :D It's pretty similar with most.

017-8.jpg

Here it is...sitting pretty...all closed! Nobun gets passed.

018-7.jpg

Sometimes there is one button to press. On this one, you squeeze both sides. It's easily done, one handed.

019-6.jpg

Whilst squeezed, lift handle up.

020-4.jpg

Swing gate open.

021-5.jpg

To shut just close the gate, and push handle down.

Easy peasy. You can leave it so it swings both ways, or have it so it stops when it lines up.

I love this gate. This is the first one that I have seen that swings without attaching/wrecking the wall. Only problem is Jule would chew on the bars and probablely get her head stuck trying to squeeze through the bars.

Tamsin, boy..... Scamp can really jump high. He would easily jump over the one that I have.

I love this gate. This is the first one that I have seen that swings without attaching/wrecking the wall. Only problem is Jule would chew on the bars and probablely get her head stuck trying to squeeze through the bars.

Tamsin, boy..... Scamp can really jump high. He would easily jump over the one that I have.

I think with smaller bunnies I'd mesh it. It's a good one. There's an option to attach it to the wall, but it is a pressure gate so doesn't need it...that and my landlord wouldn't let me have secure ones.

I've used Correx to make my baby gate 'rabbit proof' instead of mesh. :)

P1060088.jpg

My gate is a screw-in Lindam one. Not my first choice really but our doorway was far too narrow for most gates. The advantage of a screw-in gate is that the whole thing swings out so you have a nice wide space to walk through.

Ours is covered in a mesh grill from homebase, I painted white to look nicer. Any mesh would work though. It's attached with cable ties... I have to replace them quite often though as Scamp's learnt to chew them off :roll:

Ours is covered in a mesh grill from homebase, I painted white to look nicer. Any mesh would work though. It's attached with cable ties... I have to replace them quite often though as Scamp's learnt to chew them off :roll:

I've learnt this lesson with my ratties and chinnies nibbling through cable ties - occasionally whilst the said ratties were sat in the basket the cable ties were holding up at the time! :roll: :lol:

So I used Garden Wire to attach the Correx to the Baby Gate just in case...

Oh dear I have just been a right girl :oops: I measured wrong, our space is around 84cm wide and the gate goes up to 82cm :shock:

Oh dear I have just been a right girl :oops: I measured wrong, our space is around 84cm wide and the gate goes up to 82cm :shock:

That is a bit special! :lol::lol:

I think you'll have to get a wall mounted one then! They can be whatever size you want.

:lol: I have ordered the extension kit! :oops:
Now am searching endlessly for some sort of wire that would fit!! Not having much luck! :?

Back