• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Baby bella & cheeky Bailey!

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi guys,

If possible just wanted to ask abit of advice, to see what's people thoughts are. So as many of you are aware that I have recently taken on a baby to try and bond with Bailey.

well at the moment they still live completely separate, however each evening they do have a metal gate between them so they can clearly see and smell each other. Initially I was going to monitor how this was going and see, although I would prefer to bond after she has been spayed.

She is currently 12 weeks old, and very cheeky! I've noticed Bailey has become even more obsessed with following me around but otherwise hasn't changed. Anyways when both out together, they do ignore each other the majority of the time. Only once he tried to lunge at her, but tonight we had a breakthrough and he started grooming her through the bars!

I'm going to continue to do this, with the same routine of Letting them see each other for 1-2 hours an evening for the next week or so to see if this continues and remains positive. Now my question is, if they do, what do I do next?

Thanks so much in advance and sorry for another bonding question, but really appreciate any advice xx

Personally I would continue with what you are doing and wait until after she has been spayed before attempting proper bonding. I presume you will wait until she is about 5 months old?

Hi guys,

If possible just wanted to ask abit of advice, to see what's people thoughts are. So as many of you are aware that I have recently taken on a baby to try and bond with Bailey.

well at the moment they still live completely separate, however each evening they do have a metal gate between them so they can clearly see and smell each other. Initially I was going to monitor how this was going and see, although I would prefer to bond after she has been spayed.

She is currently 12 weeks old, and very cheeky! I've noticed Bailey has become even more obsessed with following me around but otherwise hasn't changed. Anyways when both out together, they do ignore each other the majority of the time. Only once he tried to lunge at her, but tonight we had a breakthrough and he started grooming her through the bars!

I'm going to continue to do this, with the same routine of Letting them see each other for 1-2 hours an evening for the next week or so to see if this continues and remains positive. Now my question is, if they do, what do I do next?

Thanks so much in advance and sorry for another bonding question, but really appreciate any advice xx

You could either bond now, or wait until she's been spayed and bond then.

What's your preference?

The problem is if you wait until she is old enough to be spayed she might become territorial and decide she doesn't want Bailey in her space. This of course might not happen but it could. So, as you have seen very positive signs that they want to get along I would try them now, after all they are both rabbits and would appreciate being together. If you do put them together now you can wait until she is a full 6 months old before having her spayed.

These are my pair newly bonded.
I took the little one, Pickle in from a friend as a mate for Jasper, both were spayed before being introduced.
Although Jasper was the territorial one at times they have done really well and bonded within 4 months.
We had Jasper living in our large kitchen in his bungalow and Pickle was in a large dog play pen in the corner of the living room for when we started the bonding process, they now both live happily ever after.
There were disagreements but not many, it was hard work bonding them but so worth it and we are so pleased we managed it even though we had never done this before.

b4650886a8e49323f3fe41665c3c7bcc.jpg
Pickle

1413c340f6cc5f8f97f313a7a003cb67.jpg
Jasper

e2352549603c0e242d2108433667dad2.jpg

92ce10c4501c7d79b606d66a07f1ba74.jpg

sent from Xperia Z2

These are my pair newly bonded.
I took the little one, Pickle in from a friend as a mate for Jasper, both were spayed before being introduced.
Although Jasper was the territorial one at times they have done really well and bonded within 4 months.
We had Jasper living in our large kitchen in his bungalow and Pickle was in a large dog play pen in the corner of the living room for when we started the bonding process, they now both live happily ever after.
There were disagreements but not many, it was hard work bonding them but so worth it and we are so pleased we managed it even though we had never done this before.

b4650886a8e49323f3fe41665c3c7bcc.jpg
Pickle

1413c340f6cc5f8f97f313a7a003cb67.jpg
Jasper

e2352549603c0e242d2108433667dad2.jpg

92ce10c4501c7d79b606d66a07f1ba74.jpg

sent from Xperia Z2

Flopped bunnies are amongst the cutest things in the whole wide world :love::love::love:

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your advice!

Well im home this weekend so I'm going to let them both out together in the garden and see what happens. If it goes okay, I might look to bond them, but If not I'll hold off.

Normally I would wait until 6 months, but I've already Spoken to my vets and they have agreed they'll do it at 5.5 months old. So we have a while to go yet, but I can already tell just with her in the house Bailey is happier and even waits by her door in the evening before I get her out of her pen. Very cute!! :love:

I'll keep you all posted on how it goes, I really do hope it works, I wasn't really keen on getting another bunny and have only done so for baileys sake.. So I hope he can get along and they can be happy together xx

Aww thank you for your update awkskinne, they are both beautiful bunnies!

Well I have bonded before, but it was the easiest bond ever, just let them out and they run over to each other cuddling, but then they were brother and sister and had such a close relationship! I miss them every day and would give anything to have them back but I know I've just got to concentrate on Bailey and bella now!

Aww thank you for your update awkskinne, they are both beautiful bunnies!

Well I have bonded before, but it was the easiest bond ever, just let them out and they run over to each other cuddling, but then they were brother and sister and had such a close relationship! I miss them every day and would give anything to have them back but I know I've just got to concentrate on Bailey and bella now!

The bunnies look so cute, cwtched together.
I hope your bonding goes well I'm sure it will as you have done it before, we found it scary as there were sometimes a little fur flying but nothing too much.myself and my boyfriend didn't think we were ever going to bond our bunnies.
I hope Pickle and Jasper are truly happy but neither will cwtch, jasper used to.

sent from Xperia Z2

Hi guys,

Just wanted to do a very quick update, I have tried them both in the bath.. And well I've never been so nervous!

Bailey lunged for bella, scared her and then when she put her head down he licked her! I thought omg this is brilliant, unfortunately bella then went for Bailey and pulled out a load of fur.. I really struggle with the thought of her hurting my little boy & opted to finish the session and give them a break!

Anyways, that was at the weekend & since I've continued to have bella out in our corridor bit so both have full view of each other. Over the last couple of nights, Bailey has gone to lie down sort of by her, where as she is mad and just binky's. I have noticed when they do get close, she is putting her head down demanding grooming and Bailey is grooming her literally 2-3 licks and then runs off? Is this good? Shall I try again this weekend? What's people's thoughts?

Really sorry for the questions, but I just want to do the right thing xx

Please ignore the Hoover but this is them currently;

Hi there! Remember the females can get territorial over their space, but I would try them again as you do want them to get along soon. Best of luck!

Aww it's nerve wracking isn't it! :(

In my very limited experience of bonding (well technically I've done it twice now!) I would say that it's good sign that he's licked her a few times. When I first bonded Fudgie and Snoopy there was a fair amount of fur pulling (Snoopy always came off worst!), scuffling and thumping. It's not nice to watch as you can't help worrying about them getting hurt but as far as I understand you have to let them get on with it as long as it doesn't escalate into a fight.

Are you planning on doing a slow bond or keeping them together permanently for a few days? Personally I prefer the method of keeping them together and roughing it out. Not only does it get the whole thing over with more quickly, but with the slow bond method I'd worry that I'd break the session up at a crucial time in the bond and they'd be back at square one when I next put them together. It all depends of course on what you feel is the best method for you, Bailey and Bella.

Sending you lots of good luck vibes xx

Back