• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

At my wits end, constant chasing - spring fever??

Sam56-87

Warren Scout
I've had my 2 bunnies bonded since September 2015. They are a boy/girl pair, both neutered/spayed. I have recently had their check ups at the vets which were all good and nothing has changed in the home environment (they are indoor rabbits)

A couple of months ago I noticed Albert occasionally humping Minnie and he would chase her / nip at her bum. He hadn't done this up until now- he was a really chilled out rabbit, he loves his food and just likes to relax. I would also find the odd bit of fur around. Minnie doesn't retaliate, she will just run off or hide.

The last 2 weeks have literally been unbearable though. He chases her constantly to the point where she now just looks frightened of what he might do and i'm worried that she is really unhappy or that it will end up making her poorly. But on the positive side they still eat their meals together with no problems and I will still see them lie together and she grooms him so I don't think the bond is totally broken.

I've been searching for suggestions on here tonight and one thing I've come across (which I haven't heard of before) is spring fever. Is it possible that this could be the cause of his change in behaviour? Does it even effect indoor rabbits and I saw someone mention that it could last until August - is this right??

I don't know how much more of this I can take right now :cry:

It's a bit tough to quantify as I don't think there's been any research so it's all anecdotal. It would be triggered by changes in sunlight, temperature and food resources in mating season for wild rabbits so it could effect indoors as well as out.

My thoughts would be to try and distract him so he has less spare time for chasing. I would cut pellets right down (presuming they are both otherwise healthy) and use their daily ration for hiding in toys and hunting down. Other activities like digging, playing with toys, searching for treats in and under things etc.

Also how is there space arranged? Often rooms are set up with things around the edges leaving a big space in the middle and they have very clear views of the whole space. I would go the opposite and make it super cluttered so lots of biggish items that you can't see behind without hoping around. It can be simple stuff like moving their current furniture or stacking up boxes. Lots of tunnels too. That way it's easy for her to be out of sight and chasing is more complicated. Some bunnies react to movement quite excitedly so her moving in his sightline may trigger it and having her insight less may automatically mean less chasing.

Hi Tamsin, thank you for your suggestions. I will try the pellets things as at the moment they just get given these in a bowl. Also they do have some tunnels and a little house to hide (as well as lots of toys/sticks to chew on) but I could try some more card board boxes and a change round in furniture. I'm willing to give anything a try at the moment. Thank you for your advice

I'd also rate Pet Remedy. We use it for our two house buns and we found when it ran out the mounting and chasing increased. Have a loot at it, you may want to try it.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

It can anything so boxes, a bit pot, even flat cardboard panels wedged upright. Make it like lots of little corridors instead of a big space :)

I'd also rate Pet Remedy. We use it for our two house buns and we found when it ran out the mounting and chasing increased. Have a loot at it, you may want to try it.

This is interesting, just looking at it online. Do you use the spray or the plug in diffuser? Not sure if I'd be worried about leaving the diffuser plugged in if I wasn't at home.

We use the diffuser in their room. It's plugged in and turned on 24/7 the only time it'd become a real hazard is if it's left plugged in and turned on months on end with an empty pot.

We've got the spray to use when they go away in the car to boarders etc. Not used it yet but we shall see

Back