• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artistic people - help me plan my new garden! UD post 13 - some layouts.

Willow&biscuit I missed your question about Fudge's fence. It'll just be maybe 2.5 feet high as I don't want to restrict the view to the aviary.

joey&boo Truffle hates outside. She doesn't even venture off the middle floor of the house by choice! Fudge is sick though so at some point I will have to get Truffle a new friend who may also like to go outside.
Bunnies will easily be able to jump 2.5ft unless they have a health condition that prevents them from doing so. My bed is about 2.5ft high and Storm jumps onto it with no problem at all and he's a very small bunny (I don't know how big your bunnies are). I would aim for 4ft high at a minimum to prevent them for getting over the fence.

I'm really sorry to hear that little Fudge is poorly though [emoji20]

Sorry to hear Fudge is sick :(, sending many well wishes for her

Thanks. She was diagnosed with chronic renal failure about 18 months ago so she's doing pretty well considering! I'm well aware she's on borrowed time though.

Bunnies will easily be able to jump 2.5ft unless they have a health condition that prevents them from doing so. My bed is about 2.5ft high and Storm jumps onto it with no problem at all and he's a very small bunny (I don't know how big your bunnies are). I would aim for 4ft high at a minimum to prevent them for getting over the fence.

I'm really sorry to hear that little Fudge is poorly though [emoji20]

:) yeah - I know they will be able to jump it. I don't intend to have them all out at the same time unless I'm supervising though, and that's partly why there's a double fence! We currently have 2 ft high fences around our flower beds and actually Tully & Kyla don't attempt to get over them so I'm hopeful it'll be okay.

Thanks. She was diagnosed with chronic renal failure about 18 months ago so she's doing pretty well considering! I'm well aware she's on borrowed time though.

:) yeah - I know they will be able to jump it. I don't intend to have them all out at the same time unless I'm supervising though, and that's partly why there's a double fence! We currently have 2 ft high fences around our flower beds and actually Tully & Kyla don't attempt to get over them so I'm hopeful it'll be okay.
Oh OK, I thought that they would be unsupervised some of the time. Two of mine are the same as your two, they never really bother jumping onto/over things, even when I have given them to them specifically to be jumped on! Storm on the other hand, will jump onto and over absolutely everything that he can, he even jumped inside a turret on his cardboard castle when I first got it and I had to rescue him because he got stuck! [emoji23]

I know haha, he's always been a super mischievous bunny, he worked out today how to get on the windowsill with all of the herbs and devoured a whole Basil plant!

I like the look of plan 1 best. I would have absolutely no problem with a patio at the bottom of the garden. Our patio is next our house, but if we sit in the garden invariably it is one of a few different spots, but all right at the bottom. I think it's best if a patio has both sun and shade (I know you can provide shade) and it would appear that this would be the case.

Good luck with it. It's exciting to plan a new garden. If you're not sure of any of the areas, perhaps try to leave them flexible for a short while and decide once you've lived there a few weeks, although I realise this is not so easy when accommodating rabbits.

She's borrowed quite a lot of time so you and her must be doing something right for a little RF bunny :wave:

Best wishes for Fudge :love:

I'd see where the sun comes in at different times of the day if possible before committing to anything. We have a patio area next to the house, but it only catches the sun first thing. We have a bench at the far end if the garden to catch the afternoon sun. I'd consider a path rather than stepping stones. Try thinking about a circular lawn or a circular lawn and circular patio. They will help break up the garden and take the emphasis off it looking long and narrow.

I'd see where the sun comes in at different times of the day if possible before committing to anything. We have a patio area next to the house, but it only catches the sun first thing. We have a bench at the far end if the garden to catch the afternoon sun. I'd consider a path rather than stepping stones. Try thinking about a circular lawn or a circular lawn and circular patio. They will help break up the garden and take the emphasis off it looking long and narrow.

One of my friends has one of those 6 foot circle patios going spare that I could have. But I haven't been able to work out how to incorporate circles into any of my plans!
I did think about the sun, but actually I don't sit in it anyway so I'm not sure it matters - I would always seek out the shade.

You see your neighbours conservatory? I'd be tempted to build a posh looking framed aviary like that in front of your patio doors. You could even part roof it with something clear to give you a large sheltered patio you can share with the rabbits - imagine sitting at your table and chairs whilst they hop around your feet. Use fine mesh for the bottom 3-4 foot and larger for higher up and it won't spoil your view.

You could use a large hutch placed against one or other fence inside for shelter - you'd then be able to see in it from the house. Your existing shed could go the other end for storage.

For indoor bunnies, perhaps something flexible which allowed you to partition off one side occasionally.

Tamsin I actually love that idea but do you think I'd be able to see through it to keep an eye on them while they were free-ranging? This is where I wish I was artistic enough to draw it up!

Also I would need to think of a way to get Fudge out onto some grass. I will give this some more thought. Thanks!

I think you'd see through fine as it would only be one layer of mesh to look through - so just as easy to see out through it as into a rabbit run - I've an aviary part across the window with 1" square mesh and that's easy to see though - you don't notice the mesh really.

My panels are like this, with corner braces and a base board, but no bar half way so they don't block the view: http://bigspace.celerity.co.uk/aviaries4u/chicken_run_7.jpg

You'd want a slightly slopped roof, so a bit like a lean too, like this but the tallest side wouldn't actually need mesh/wood as it would be against the house e.g.: http://www.olympiansheds.co.uk/products/animal-buildings/aviary

You could look at greenhouse or conservatory frames - often they sell them with glass separately, so instead of adding glass you could add mesh. Or it would give you an idea for the structure: http://www.buttercupfarm.co.uk/gard...potting-sheds/8-x-8-combi-greenhouse-762.html - something like that but you wouldn't want such a tall base.

Pergola's would be the other one that might give you a basic frame to start with :)

Back