• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Artistic people - help me plan my new garden! UD post 13 - some layouts.

esupi

Warren Veteran
So - all being well, I will be moving into a new house in about 6 weeks. The bunnies are coming with me, and although the house is perfectly fine, the garden needs some work. I'm not very good at figuring out how things will look nice, so thought I'd ask on here as I know some of you love this sort of thing!

The space is approximately 42 x 15 feet (7 x 2.5 fence panels!). These are my ideas so far/constraints:
-I need to build a new fence down one side and across the back. I will need to put a gate in to allow access from the back somewhere (this could be through an aviary if necessary.
-There is an existing tree in the garden which I need to work around.
-I will have a pair of buns (Tully and Kyla) living outside. Currently they have a 6x2 hutch inside a 7x5 shed (they don't have access to the shed though). They have a 5x5 run attached, and some runaround. From this I will be able to bring the hutch, and the Runaround - 12 feet of mesh tunnels, a 2 ft box, a 1 ft box and 3 ft of tunnel. The run can come in the short term but needs binning really.
-I like that the bunnies are cosy in their hutch in their shed. So could have a similar setup again. Or they could have a whole shed. Or just the hutch in an aviary. I'm open to options here.
-I will need somewhere to store garden 'stuff'. Either part of a bun shed, or something separate.
-I also have a 4x2 hutch requiring renovation which could be used - either inside a shed, or as a shelter in an aviary maybe
-I quite fancy having an aviary!
-The buns will get free-range over most of the garden when I'm home.
-If possible, I'd like to section off a small area of garden to one side near the house that the inside bunnies could go out in. I'm imagining maybe a central path with space on one side for inside bunnies, and the rest of the garden for the outside guys.
-I would like to pull the decking up and turn it into vertical planters - see pic below. This would let me actually have flowers/herbs that Tully & Kyla can't get to.
-I imagine I might like a couple of raised beds for trying to grow some veg. I have never had the space before and have no idea whether I'm actually capable so it might just be a whim.
-I don't want the buns in a playhouse - I like to be able to stand up in the shed without having spiders in my hair.
-I am not massively green-fingered!
-I would like some sort of patio/hardstanding that I can put a table and chairs on. One of my colleagues has offered me a circle patio that they have going spare but it's not essential I use this.

So - I have ideas, but can't work out how to put them together! I also have quite a bit of time to figure it out and am open to suggestions!

Some pics:
Garden from the house:

Looking the other way towards the house (the lounge doors are roughly central to the garden - they just don't look like it as when this photo was taken the fence panel nearest the house on the left was down):

Planters:

Last edited:
I've never been very good with gardens so won't make many suggestions, however I'd think about getting rid of the half fence around the decked area - it tends to make gardens look a lot smaller, especially being so close to the house.

Thanks. Ideally I want to rip the decking up entirely as it is slippery and I don't really like it. I have to work out what to replace it with though -whether I put a patio there or turf it.

Thanks. Ideally I want to rip the decking up entirely as it is slippery and I don't really like it. I have to work out what to replace it with though -whether I put a patio there or turf it.

I'd go for Patio as a bit more practical for outside meals / drinkies over more grass . I'm rubbish at gardening & don't have any artistic inclination so can't help. That planter arrangement is fab, perfect for bunny owners.

Personally I'd patio it. Its helpful on rainy days as you can still get out the back door without stepping into mud & its somewhere nice to sit in the summer if you have guests over.

I saw a trick a few years back where they'd have different planting areas staggered up the garden (like one on the left, then a few meters up one on the right, another few meters on the left again). It's meant to create an impression of a garden being wider than it actually is but not sure how well this would work for you with the bunnies. Maybe they could be raised veg patches? One for carrots, another for herbs, another for kale etc?

What a wonderful space to work with. I would definately go for a patio and perhaps a central paved path to the rabbit shed. I would have a hutch inside the shed with an aviary run (I have that for my quad and it works really well). I am also fortunate enough to have two other storage sheds which is great.

I like arches. You could have small hedges/fences across the garden with an arch through the middle to break it up and add interest. Perhaps have apple trees through the arch and the rabbit shed/run nearer the house/patio area with nice tall planters round the edge of the patio full of flowers, herbs, veg, etc

What an exciting project. Will follow this thread with interest.

I think it's a great space but I think I'm partly struggling because it's so long and thin. I love that I will be able to sit in the lounge and watch the buns. But only if they are close to the house. But then I worry that putting a shed close to the house will make the garden feel a lot smaller as you won't be able to see the space behind it . Just having an aviary and shed across the back would be easy, but then they would be far away. I don't think I want to break it up too much as I want them to have space where I can keep an eye on them, but I do like the arch idea!

It looks great :thumb: very exciting :) when we had outside buns we originally had them in hutch/runaround/run combos up near the house, which meant we could see them better, and it was closer to the house for mad dashes in and out in bad weather! Then we moved them to a shed/aviary at the bottom of the garden, and we couldn't see them so well, but it was better for cleaning them out and being able to sit with them. There are pros and cons to both I suppose. Maybe at first could you move them in the hutch and run they have already, and you can experiment a bit?

I think it's a great space but I think I'm partly struggling because it's so long and thin. I love that I will be able to sit in the lounge and watch the buns. But only if they are close to the house. But then I worry that putting a shed close to the house will make the garden feel a lot smaller as you won't be able to see the space behind it . Just having an aviary and shed across the back would be easy, but then they would be far away. I don't think I want to break it up too much as I want them to have space where I can keep an eye on them, but I do like the arch idea!

I know what you mean ... I put up a picket fence half way down my garden, and a border in front of it and it's very useful for keeping the buns near the house. When I am out there, I can open the gate and they can romp everywhere, including in my vegetable beds :shock:

The good thing is, looking at my neighbours' gardens, because I've 'broken' mine up, the whole garden looks a lot bigger than theirs. Optical illusion, but nice :D

Love the idea of them planters, especially for herbs that can overhang just enough for nibbles but out of reach enough to be able to destroy :)

I've been Googling and looking on Pinterest - there are some lovely ideas, but nobody ever seems to include rabbit housing. Weird...

I went and took measurements a couple of weeks ago and have been playing with layouts. The tree, and access at the far end of the garden are quite restrictive!
What do people think of these options?

They all have a little garden for Fudge (house rabbit) to go out in next to the house. The red lines are low fences so that the outdoor rabbits will be separated from her by a double barrier when they are all free-ranging. My idea is that the funnel-shaped fences next to the house will be work by some sort of hinged/concertina arrangement so that either one of them can come across the full width of the French doors - so that either Fudge can get to her garden, or the outside bunnies can get to the house.

I think I prefer options 1 and 3 with the outside rabbits a bit closer to the house. I'm not sure if that will look odd/obstructive, but that's why I've kept it narrow. But with 1 I'm not sure if it's weird to have the patio down the far end of the garden. And with 3 I don't know if the outside buns would spend all their time behind the shed where I can't see them! Also not sure if the patio is wide enough in 3 - I can't work out how big it needs to be! Patio maybe won't go in this year anyway, but the rest will so I want to know what I'm working towards.

Open to any other suggestions - the rabbit housing doesn't have to be that shape/size - it's just that's how it's working out when I try to fit everything into the space.

Personally I like the design of number 1 best. The outdoor bunnies will be quite close to the house and easily visible and I quite like the idea of having a patio at the end of the garden. My grandparents have a patio at the end and it looks lovely.

How big is Fudge's area of the garden and how tall will the fence be that separates him from everything/everyone else? Also what are those small brown dots that run along side the avairy and shed? I was thinking that you could plant some herbs and things like that for them to munch on. I've seen people cover the pots with upside down flower baskets to stop them from eating them right down to the soil (meaning that they actually have a chance to grow[emoji38])

Fudge's bit of garden is small -about 6x 10 feet. She has free range of the house but she does like to go outside and hasn't been able to since we got the outside buns.

The brown dots are stepping stones -could be a path though -just I know grass won't stand up to me going to the shed at least twice a day.

my favourite is also one, bunnies closer & patio more as a separately defined area. Lucky Fudge having her own garden...does Truffle not like the big bad outside?

I like number one best as well. You can easily view the rabbits from the house. Stepping stones are a great and practical idea. All my sheds have stone outside as the ground get very marshy otherwise.

Willow&biscuit I missed your question about Fudge's fence. It'll just be maybe 2.5 feet high as I don't want to restrict the view to the aviary.

joey&boo Truffle hates outside. She doesn't even venture off the middle floor of the house by choice! Fudge is sick though so at some point I will have to get Truffle a new friend who may also like to go outside.

I like number one best as well. You can easily view the rabbits from the house. Stepping stones are a great and practical idea. All my sheds have stone outside as the ground get very marshy otherwise.

Yes we found that quite quickly with the shed we have now - definitely need somewhere solid to stand!

Back