• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

arthritis

Brilliant! I shall make a note of that.

Discussing Tramadol with my vet, I wonder how many rabbits suffer the sedative effect?

I haven't seen a bunny on tramadol. I did suggest it for my bun but we decided on Gabapentin and now buprenorphine. I have seen plenty dogs on tramadol though and a fair few of them seem sedated from it

Alan my 9yr old nethie has been diagnosed with arthritis he has been put on metacam twice daily this will be long term. Is anyone else caring for a arthritic bunny and is there anything else I can do for him to make him more comfortable thanks x

Hi emmaclaire

I have a 9 year old lip head. I think he is struggling with arthritis, going to get tomorrow.

Can I ask - how did they diagnose him? Did they do an X-Ray? Just want to know what to expect. Also how long is his first prescription for?

Hi there no xrays the vet said his joints were very stiff and crunching when massaged he will be on metacam for rest of his life but the first bottle he's had will last for weeks and the arthritis capsule is for dogs not sure what it's called as I only had 10 to start with just to see how he took them it's a powder capsule I have to halve it and add a little water and syringe it as he doesn't like it so if I sprinkle it on his food he leaves it ...it's all very time consuming and fiddley but he's worth it...let me know how u get on as mine is still very frail on his legs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Looking at what people have said about tramadol I don't think it would be good for Alan as it may make him even more wobbley on his legs if he's drousey x

Looking at what people have said about tramadol I don't think it would be good for Alan as it may make him even more wobbley on his legs if he's drousey x

You can but give it a go. My eyes popped out of my head the time my elderly was given it at the vet and then proceeded to dance around the room on return home :D It doesn't make every bunny drowsy, though I was warned about it.

I have had numerous Rabbits on Tramadol and not one has been made in the least bit drowsy. Infact they are often a lot brighter within themselves as the Tramadol provides better pain control x

Hi there no xrays the vet said his joints were very stiff and crunching when massaged he will be on metacam for rest of his life but the first bottle he's had will last for weeks and the arthritis capsule is for dogs not sure what it's called as I only had 10 to start with just to see how he took them it's a powder capsule I have to halve it and add a little water and syringe it as he doesn't like it so if I sprinkle it on his food he leaves it ...it's all very time consuming and fiddley but he's worth it...let me know how u get on as mine is still very frail on his legs xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi emmaclaire

Went to the vet lastnight. He has been given loxicom, twice daily. Vet said she can feel his muscles on his back legs starting to deteriorate:cry: she also gave his fur underneath a shave. I was quite happy about that as he usually needs a little bath once week.
He's still getting about but you can he's starting to struggle on some surfaces. He's still eating great and going to toilet......oh and he's loving his heater:lol:
Leon used to live outside in a two tier hutch but he's now in the garage....I think that will be permanent, although I do feel sorry for him being in there......not much to see:(
I guess the cold weather doesn't help either.

Do you feel Alan is doing better with the Meds?

No I don't see a difference with Alan tbh I am finding him on his back feet in the air can't get back on all fours this is happening on average bout 4 times a day I am at my wits end with him . He is a house rabbit so we can all keep an eye on him but what worries me is if he falls in the night and is stuck upside down for hours I have already found him like it one morning but don't know how long he was like it he had wee all over him so had obviously been like it a while I am so worried about his quality of life xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

No I don't see a difference with Alan tbh I am finding him on his back feet in the air can't get back on all fours this is happening on average bout 4 times a day I am at my wits end with him . He is a house rabbit so we can all keep an eye on him but what worries me is if he falls in the night and is stuck upside down for hours I have already found him like it one morning but don't know how long he was like it he had wee all over him so had obviously been like it a while I am so worried about his quality of life xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I'm so sorry Emma, this is very difficult for you :(

He hardly has any muscles on his little legs....I have thought of putting him in a warm bath holding his belly see if he will kick his legs but I think this will stress him out do u think I should try but then there's the drying that will take hours and he will have to be kept warm x

He hardly has any muscles on his little legs....I have thought of putting him in a warm bath holding his belly see if he will kick his legs but I think this will stress him out do u think I should try but then there's the drying that will take hours and he will have to be kept warm x

Personally I would not do it. I use physiotherapy to try to retain some muscle tone in arthritic Rabbits. Massage is useful too as it promotes blood circulation. But obviously both of these are only appropriate for Rabbits who can cope with a lot of hands on care.

Yes I know what you mean - trying to make sure his legs are working in the best and most comfortable way. I wouldn't put him in water though if you feel it may stress him.

I have had a vet physiotherapist show me how to massage and gently manipulate arthritic legs.

I'm so sorry you're in this position with Alan :(

Thanks for the advice I do very gently massager him I just feel like I can't take my eyes off him which is ok at the min as I'm off work this week x

Our 8 year old girl had arthiritis and managed really well on metacam. We also gave her Oxbow joint supplements - to be honest I'm not sure how much they helped but she certainly enjoyed them as a treat :)

Alan has had the oxbow tablets he wasn't keen I had to crush it with a sheddie he has joint supplement from vets now but he's only been on that 8 days they did say it could take weeks ....Alan sits in the awkward way he is hunched up his front paws are further no than his belly and are almost twisted in x

What I have read so far is leading me to think the metacam should be doing a better job for Alan than it is.I thought he would have better mobility on the metacam but he hasn't he is having bad days and a bit better days with very poor posture...xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Back