• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Arthritis Advice

EDIT: *Please no more comments on her moving back outside. I’m undecided but I don’t need opinions from people who are against rabbits being outside. She isn’t kept outside in below freezing temperatures. She is monitored with a live view camera and has plenty of insulation and a thick winter coat. I know her best and will come to a decision that is best for both her physical and mental health.*

Last edited:
I have an almost 10 year old arthritic Rabbit who has had arthritis for many years. This has been managed with Metacam ( same drug asLoxicom, just different brand) but in recent weeks he has still struggled even on maximum dose. A couple of weeks ago he was started on Paracetamol (Calpol) at the lowest end of the dose range. It has made a huge difference. He is back to being able to keep himself clean again, is more active and generally obviously a lot more comfortable. Based on my experience I would follow your Vet’s advice and give the Calpol a go.

I wouldn't put her back outside now if you really don't have to. Going into a colder / damper environment won't help her mobility, and she will struggle more than usual, especially if she's on her own. She may also have lost some of her winter coat if she's been inside for a while.

She only moved in last week so has her winter coat. She’s in an unheated conservatory which is only slightly warmer than outside but is draught free. I’m really undecided on what to do.

She only moved in last week so has her winter coat. She’s in an unheated conservatory which is only slightly warmer than outside but is draught free. I’m really undecided on what to do.

I would keep her in. No way would I house a 9 year old arthritic Rabbit outside in sub zero temperatures. I would never house a lone Rabbit outdoors full stop.

She’s not being housed outside in sub zero temperatures. That’s why I moved her in. I’d only move her back out when the temperature gets back up to consistently above freezing. Her vet was completely happy to have her stay outside, it was my own judgment call. She’s an outside rabbit at heart and has lived outside very happily her whole life. I appreciate your opinion but rabbits (single or bonded) absolutely can live outside.

Rabbits absolutely can live outside all year in appropriate accommodation - younger, healthy, mobile rabbits in pairs or groups who can run around and keep each other warm. The issue here is that you have an elderly single rabbit with worsening health & mobility issues. I would not want to put her back outside at all during winter - maybe when it's a lot warmer in Spring and when you have her arthritis more comfortable. At the moment, she is not in a position to physically cope with full winter weather outside. That extra comfort of being inside with the straw bedding, heatpads, fewer draughts and new meds will make a huge difference to her. You are also in a better position to be able to keep an eye on her in case she goes downhill at all, and give her some prompt attention if she needs it.

Rabbits absolutely can live outside all year in appropriate accommodation - younger, healthy, mobile rabbits in pairs or groups who can run around and keep each other warm. The issue here is that you have an elderly single rabbit with worsening health & mobility issues. I would not want to put her back outside at all during winter - maybe when it's a lot warmer in Spring and when you have her arthritis more comfortable. At the moment, she is not in a position to physically cope with full winter weather outside. That extra comfort of being inside with the straw bedding, heatpads, fewer draughts and new meds will make a huge difference to her. You are also in a better position to be able to keep an eye on her in case she goes downhill at all, and give her some prompt attention if she needs it.

100% agree

I completely get where you’re coming from and I absolutely wouldn’t even consider putting her back out if I thought she physically couldn’t cope. I know many senior rabbits who are still more than able to live out year round, it really depends of the individual. Her enclosure is right by the house, she’s checked on multiple times a day and is monitored with a live view camera so I’d be in an equally good position to keep an eye. She also has a very thick winter coat and plenty of insulation- her enclosure is always a few degrees warmer than ‘outside’. She definitely won’t be going back out until the temperature gets back up to consistently above zero. I’ll start with the extra pain relief and come to the best decision for her physical and mental health once it warms up a bit.

come to the best decision for her physical and mental health once it warms up a bit.

If she will be living outdoors then she would need a companion.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/behaviour/rabbit-companionship/

If adopting a second Rabbit to keep her company is impossible then I personally could not house her all alone outdoors. A companion Rabbit can be such a huge comfort to a Rabbit who has a chronic pain condition such as arthritis .

The Rabbit on the right is my almost 10 year old Arthritic Rabbit Endeavour. He takes great comfort from his companion Aoife, a Rabbit rescued from a Meat Farm

KiolsLz.jpg

ZRA6uzz.jpg

If she will be living outdoors then she would need a companion.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-care-advice/behaviour/rabbit-companionship/

If adopting a second Rabbit to keep her company is impossible then I personally could not house her all alone outdoors. A companion Rabbit can be such a huge comfort to a Rabbit who has a chronic pain condition such as arthritis .

The Rabbit on the right is my almost 10 year old Arthritic Rabbit Endeavour. He takes great comfort from his companion Aoife, a Rabbit rescued from a Meat Farm

KiolsLz.jpg

ZRA6uzz.jpg

She’s been living side by side with other rabbits for a few months but unfortunately it’s not been a straightforward process with her. It would be lovely for her to have a companion to snuggle with but I also have to consider whether the risks (I.e- stress and injury) are worth it when she’s perfectly content on her own. All the bonds we’ve tried haven’t gone well and have been stressful for her. She moved inside when she initially lost her companion and it worsened her mental and physical health- she gets a lot joy and fulfilment being outside. I might sound crazy but I do believe some rabbits are more ‘rabbity’ and really thrive being outside. I’d never keep her outside if I thought she wasn’t coping. I think I will probably keep her in for the time being and move her back out when it warms up a bit.

Back