• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are some rabbit breeds 'smarter' than others?

Zarla

Alpha Buck
I've read that they are but I've only had experience of four different breeds: Dutch, Old English, Silver Fox and Lionhead.

Lionheads were easiest to house train. The most savvy rabbit I knew was a Dutch bunny who quickly dug her way out of every run she was in if it was on grass.

I'm not sure TBH, all of mine have been mixed breeds but you could see the lionhead / English spot / Dutch etc in most of them.

I have certainly noticed huge differences in how smart they appear as individuals though. My current two are really smart. Joey who I lost in January was really quite dim :lol: Didn't set him back though, he lived til nearly 11 years, no accidents & not much illness. Some seem to hone social intelligence (people manipulation :lol:), others super clever at problem solving

Rexes are usually far too smart for their own good. Or more to the point for the good of my sanity [emoji38]
100%! Although Clementine, bless her, isn't the smartest [emoji38] although tbh no one is when comparing to Atticus who is freakishly smart.. He scares me sometimes

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

I had a very smart and cheeky Dutchie! Other than that have only had mini lops and whatever mix Rupert is. He's not very bright bless him lol.

Back