• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are friends essential for house buns?

My lone house rabbit is very happy and has a great bond with us humans. She originally came in after her husbun passed away and despite many attempts to bond her she was not interested. Recently she made friends with my elderly disabled bunny Mona (now at the bridge) but Mona seems to have been an exception. After Mona passed Orla has shunned other rabbits once more. She used to live outdoors and play outdoors but even if you leave the door open she won't go out to play. She is very much a house rabbit and she knows the house is her territory and she is very at ease and relaxed in herself. She is also incredibly affectionate and also seeks affection from us. She sleeps on my bed at night and is always wanting to be in the room where the humans are. She is healthy, and gets plenty of mental stimulation in the form of interaction with us and toys and has a healthy curiosity for all things new and unexplored. But I think our relationship comes down to three things:

The time we spend with her.
The fact she is slightly disabled and needs to take life a slower pace.
The fact she is obviously fussy about potential partners (she has now spurned 7 potential partners).

So for now we are not going to look for a partner again, 7 times is really rather too much and its becoming stressful for us and Orla. I think we are best letting things be. But I would stress every rabbit is different. I have had pairs of house rabbits in the past and it all depends on temperament. The really licky laid back rabbits are best suited to human relationships imo.

My lone house rabbit is very happy and has a great bond with us humans. She originally came in after her husbun passed away and despite many attempts to bond her she was not interested. Recently she made friends with my elderly disabled bunny Mona (now at the bridge) but Mona seems to have been an exception. After Mona passed Orla has shunned other rabbits once more. She used to live outdoors and play outdoors but even if you leave the door open she won't go out to play. She is very much a house rabbit and she knows the house is her territory and she is very at ease and relaxed in herself. She is also incredibly affectionate and also seeks affection from us. She sleeps on my bed at night and is always wanting to be in the room where the humans are. She is healthy, and gets plenty of mental stimulation in the form of interaction with us and toys and has a healthy curiosity for all things new and unexplored. But I think our relationship comes down to three things:

The time we spend with her.
The fact she is slightly disabled and needs to take life a slower pace.
The fact she is obviously fussy about potential partners (she has now spurned 7 potential partners).

So for now we are not going to look for a partner again, 7 times is really rather too much and its becoming stressful for us and Orla. I think we are best letting things be. But I would stress every rabbit is different. I have had pairs of house rabbits in the past and it all depends on temperament. The really licky laid back rabbits are best suited to human relationships imo.

That was very interesting to hear, thank you. Rosie-Lil, as I've said, is extremely affectionate and loves to sleep in bed with me too. She seems happy but I've obviously been told how they must have other rabbits for company ect. I think that I will try and find her the perfect husbun, however if I do not, it won't concern me after hearing this. I owe it to her to try but it would be more unfair on her to bring the wrong rabbit into my home and then have to send him back if he is destructive ect.

Thanks for your input, it's been my mind more at ease.

Back