• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

appetite changes - old age ?

Griffski

Warren Scout
Hi - first time bunny owner - hopefully quick question. My two are now 7 years old and past couple of months have not been eating all their pellets at feeding times . I think this is largely driven by one of them (the male) not being as enthusiastic as normal so the female does not have to compete with him for food and can eat at her own pace. The pellets do get eaten through the day.

Is this just normal aging behaviour ? Their behaviour is otherwise 100% ok (one is 'stasis bunny and one is 'dental bunny' so i know when something is off) and they are both still enthusiastic for grass, herbs, forage and hay.

They're indoors for winter (as they have been every year) (back outdoors within the next week) .. so usual circumstances and usual pellets - science selective.

Would appreciate any insight.
thanks

I'm no expert, just musing... I've not noticed a change in my bunnies appetite as they've got to middle age but I do read about interest in nuggets waning (not only in older buns). Your bunnies sound sensible to me, rejecting the processed food in favour of hay, grass, herbs & forage. Personally I wouldn't worry based on them eating the perfect diet - assuming their poo is good.

Are they able to maintain their weight without pellets? Are pellets fresh?
Is male dental bunny? Bunnies can get elongated tooth roots that may make eating harder pellets uncomfortable.

Rabbits are enthusiastic about food all the time, when healthy. I wonder if it is a combination of being in a warmer atmosphere and you are giving them the same amount as when they are outside. How much do you give them?

Are they able to maintain their weight without pellets? Are pellets fresh?
Is male dental bunny? Bunnies can get elongated tooth roots that may make eating harder pellets uncomfortable.

No, the female is the dental bunny (she had recent dental), he's the stasis bunny (diet controlled).. good thought though .. he was checked in december (vaccination) and his teeth were ok (whereas hers, at same time, indicated dental needed short term).
I'll see if his interest perks up once they're back outside and if not consider a check up - it's not like him.
Pellets are in date.
thanks.

Rabbits are enthusiastic about food all the time, when healthy. I wonder if it is a combination of being in a warmer atmosphere and you are giving them the same amount as when they are outside. How much do you give them?

Thanks. He is enthusiastic - just not for pellets. If he wasn't I'd be worried re stasis but his behaviour is 100% normal apart from little interest in pellets. They get a bit less when they're indoors.. prob 40g between them (emphasis on other foods to avoid his tendency towards dysbiosis).. outdoors they get a little more.
They also get herbs, grass and unlimited hay. Output seems fine.
One thing that comes to mind is whether the formulation of science selective has changed recently- they're on a relatively new packet. They won't eat the aged bunny 4+ version at all so they're on the usual variety.

I would keep a close eye on their weight. If they are eating well otherwise, poo output is normal, etc, just watch them. I am always suspicious when a rabbit stops eating pellets as they usually go straight for them, especially the ones you are using as they are not as hard as some. Dental issues would be my first thought, as crunching hard pellets with any dental abnormalities is painful, hence why they are often the first thing to be left. Rabbits use a different chewing action for things like hay, so it may be the first sign of something not right. Or it could be that bag of pellets - different recipe, old stock, poor storage conditions, etc... so I would try another new packet from a different place to see if that makes any difference.

Rabbits with ear pain can go off their pellets/ other hard food. This being the first symptom. As can Rabbits with any oral discomfort or reduced gut motility, especially relating to the hind gut ( cecum).Personally I would get both Rabbits checked over by the Vet if this has not been done recently as identifying any health problem sooner rather than later is always the best option IMO :)

NOt usually, no. That is most likely health indicator. Considering he is is middleage bunn a propper vet visit will do good (bloodwork to check kidneys and livers), looking up his teeth, x-rays of skull for teeth roots situation an heart ultrasound, perhaps (by vets choice) chest x-ray (is they hear something funny listening lungs).

If bun is not eating pellets, they do need variation of different herbs and veggies for vitamin supply. Only hay is not enough. I never dig in to pellet free diet enough to know how to balance everything.

Hi everyone - a quick update that i sourced a new bag of science selective yesterday and he seems much keener now so maybe that was at least part of the issue. The previous supply was in date and stored in cool area prior to use so not sure what was up with it, but will monitor over the next few weeks - the pellets would always disappear over the course of a day so they were eaten but this morning he 'asked' for them and ate all he was given. Thanks to everyone for all the useful input... spartacus was seen by vet in december and nothing is causing me alarm but (as we all are) am on constant bunny defcon alert to monitor for subtle changes.

They went outside for spring/summer today and it was sad to see that it took him longer than usual to do his first binky (it's usually as soon as he's back on grass) and when he did it was so massive he fell over when he landed - sad to see signs of aging but happens to us all;) Main thing is he's happy :)

Hi everyone - a quick update that i sourced a new bag of science selective yesterday and he seems much keener now so maybe that was at least part of the issue. The previous supply was in date and stored in cool area prior to use so not sure what was up with it, but will monitor over the next few weeks - the pellets would always disappear over the course of a day so they were eaten but this morning he 'asked' for them and ate all he was given. Thanks to everyone for all the useful input... spartacus was seen by vet in december and nothing is causing me alarm but (as we all are) am on constant bunny defcon alert to monitor for subtle changes.

They went outside for spring/summer today and it was sad to see that it took him longer than usual to do his first binky (it's usually as soon as he's back on grass) and when he did it was so massive he fell over when he landed - sad to see signs of aging but happens to us all;) Main thing is he's happy :)

That's a really good update, glad he's enjoying his pellets again :) bless him with his binky :lol:

That's an easy fix, if it was just the bag of food. I've had it happen before and was totally stumped at the time, but when more than one rabbit suddenly goes off pellets at the same time, it ought to be an obvious thing to try. The trouble with rabbits is that you immediately tend to think of all the medical issues it might be. I'm glad things are back to normal.

update: appetite changes - old age ?

Updating in case helps anyone in similar situation : my female bunny (crixus) was a little 'off' at start of week (i suspected UTI) so took them both to the vet for checkup. Vet thinks the underlying issue re feeding may be arthritis and they're both now on daily rheumocam to see if it makes a difference. With them going back outside this week it became apparent that ther has been a change in their mobility: neither are using the upstairs of their hutch so maybe the ramp is difficult for them now. His teeth were checked and all ok for now but may need procedure down the line so at least that is ruled out for now.

Back