• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anybun on metacam for life?

it is very hard on the kindeys and liver. for this reason its a good idea to get regular health checks and blood tests, perhaps 6 monthly.

Luna is only three but will likely be on metacam for the rest of her life. she has arthritis and a shallow hip socket. without her medication she's grumpy and barely moves. it was actually the cause of sore hocks all these years. her good leg just ends up completely pink and cracked and swollen. she thinks the metacam is great and goes insane when she knows its time [emoji38]

its not the best drug, and long term it can cause issues. but at the end of the day, if it gives quality of life for the long term I'm willing to take that risk.
:thumb:

Routine blood tests are recommended for long term meds so discuss this with your vet.

Generally once a vet starts long term metacam they are choosing quality of live over quantity of years x

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Munchkin (nearly 8yr old) is on long term metacam. Recent x rays show spine deterioration affecting his mobility and he also has a couple of other issues so I'm not really worrying about liver damage. The vet has also tried giving me the precautionary 'talk' although I did put my fingers in my ears and sang la,la,la loudly :D
I get the 100ml bottles via prescription for £15 from 365 vets.

Back