• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any tips on rabbit housing?

edward

Young Bun
Hi,
I just want to ask about general tips on rabbit housing such as , bedding type, placement of hay rack etc.
Currently I have a 4ft x 2ft cage with a step ladder leading to a small second floor , where my rabbit sleeps. I've only had him for 3 days now and he is 5 months old. However he is not a good hay eater.

ata2b.jpg

This was the biggest cage in the store.

His 'toilet' is in the far left corner but he doesn't face the hay rack, instead he faces away from it, i heard that the rabbits like to eat while they go to the toilet. Which really confuses me why he doesn't face the hay rack, i will add a litter box hopefully this week.
The bedding is wood shavings, they don't stick to his fur, which is why I got it or should i use different type of bedding
He sleeps on the second floor and almost never goes underneath the second floor.
Feel free to suggest things that i could improve about his home as i dont really know how to lay things out, I can adjust the location of the second floor if that's necessary

If you could either allow him free roam of a room, or provide a puppy pen like this to expand his space that would be a good idea.
It's recommended buns have at least 60sqft at all times.

I normally use this play pen...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0...y+play+pen&dpPl=1&dpID=51lSl9jeZKL&ref=plSrch

Some buns like to sit on the hay as they eat, so maybe try a tray with litter & hay on top.

Woodshavigs tend to have a lot of dust in them which can cause issues (especially in smaller breeds). I highly recommend fitch for litter trays as it's highly absorbent and I've not had issues with dust. It's also got super odor control. It works out more cost effective than sawdust/woodshavings/carefresh

I buy mine direct from the supplier here:
https://www.fitchrecycling.co.uk/fi...dding/fitch-pet-bedding-single-bale-20kg.html

I use towels & blankets as a normal base for their hutch etc as they're litter trained.

Rabbits in general like to sit higher up. I think they feel safer.

I feel once you expand the space, you can provide more things like tunnels etc to provide more mental stimulation.

In terms of hay eating, it could be a couple things. Firstly, a dental issues so if he hasn't been checked by a vet, this would be worth while.
Secondly, and more commonly... he doesn't like his hay. Not all hay is the same, and each bunny has their own preference. I'd get a taster selection pack from the hay experts to see which hay he prefers to increase hay eating.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/taster-selection-pack.html

I'm sure others will be along with any information I have missed out.

It's also worth looking at the housing sticky for ideas and tips on creating a nice environment and rabbit proofing the home.

When I have a chance I'll share pictures of my girls bedroom.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

4'x2' won't be big enough to shut him in, he needs room to move.
There is a "indoor housing sticky" which might give you ideas. We use a puppy pen and dog cage combination to create a reasonable amount of room, although other people have completely free ranging buns or have bunny proofed a room.
You will need to arrange his area how he wants it, it will take a while for you to find his preference, but the most important thing is not to confine him to 4'x2'
It sounds like he is on his own have you thought of getting him a friend?

Yes i am thinking of getting him a friend sometime soon, also as soon as I wake up I let him out of his cage until I go to sleep , he has lots of time outside of the cage as the whole downstairs is bunny proof. As soon as I get a litter tray and I litter train him should I consider replacing his bedding to a softer memory foam mattress sort of thing.

I also think I have figured out my bunny if it goes to hay eating, he must be very picky as if I give him brand new hay from the package he loves it. Also i have ordered the hay tester and i will see what hay he likes to eat if he really doesn't currently like his hay.

Last edited:
It doesn't nesicarrily need to be memory foam. Just anything that's fairly easy to clean in case of accidents.

I'd still get him a pen attached to his cage to use overnight as they're most active when we're sleeping. Either that or leave him out 24/7 If it's rabbit proof, so at his most active times he can burn off all that energy :)

Some owners just use newspaper in litter trays with hay on top and change twice daily.

I'd recommend a big litter tray.... 32l underbed storage boxes work perfectly as they prevent bun from accidently urinating over the edge of the tray.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Just about hay - they only like it when it is fresh, so needs changing every day and topped up a couple of times a day.

Back