• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any ideas for this hutch???

Summer&Skye

Mama Doe
I just got this hutch off eBay...
c9e3d86a.jpg

Now it's my own fault, I was busy as the auction was ending and I got the notification on my phone, so I put a quick bid in as it looked decent for my guinea pig if I paint it up and stuff and came with a decent triangular run aswell. I planned to use it as a temp hutch to initially move Heidi (rabbit) outside to start bonding, then use for guinea pig. However I hadn't checked the size properly (don't do cm!) I knew it was only 4ft but that's fine for guinea pig, but realised its only 18" deep and high so way too small for rabbit (even temporarily would feel mean!) and too small for guinea pig really I wanted 2ft deep. Also, more annoyingly I never noticed until i got it home that the only opening door is the bed! The top opens but I imagine not so easy to empty without making a big mess! It also has removable, plastic coated floors 'for easy cleaning' however the one in the bed area doesn't quite fit well and has gaps so I'm imagining will be a bit draughty. Anyway it is otherwise not a bad hutch, strong wood and good roof, obv a bit stained but can paint over that. So iv been trying to think how to use it... So thought I'd c if anyone has any bright ideas?! I am wondering whether to put it in new rabbit run as a shelter where they can have a hay rack etc as hopefully when the 3 bond (yes WHEN :lol:) I wanted to make sure they have lots of places to go if anyone wants to be away from the others... So my idea is to pull out the floors so it's straight on the ground, but then I'm not sure how they would get in since it doesn't have a door I can remove!! Does anyone know how I could remove the mesh from the front? Or would u just cut a hole and make an opening? Maybe use a bit of the runaround pipe? Any ideas appreciated for others ways I could make the most of my duff purchase?! :oops: Hopefully the run I got with it will be nice when painted up and just right for George pig :D so all is not lost!!

I inherited a similar one of these with my 2 rescue pigs. Far too small for any animal to live in permanently. I've dropped the floor in the day side and glued some carpet to it to make a ramp. The hutch is now a hideaway in the pen for the pigs to run into for shelter if it rains or they get spooked. ;)

P190811_12590001-1.jpg

P190811_12580002.jpg

I inherited a similar one of these with my 2 rescue pigs. Far too small for any animal to live in permanently. I've dropped the floor in the day side and glued some carpet to it to make a ramp. The hutch is now a hideaway in the pen for the pigs to run into for shelter if it rains or they get spooked. ;)

P190811_12590001-1.jpg

P190811_12580002.jpg

:thumb: Very clever!! Like that idea, would be for rabbits tho so may need to raise off the ground but some breeze blocks or something should do that. Hmmm thanks!! Keep the ideas coming people :D
Very sad to think that people actually house their pets in these tiny hutches, look how little room there is just with the one piggy in there :(

Last edited:
I have now thought I might remove the bedroom door and use the wood fixed to half the mesh in the other side to create a hidden area, chop the legs off and remove the floors then it's just a little sheltered den they can hop easily in and out of :D I can put a hay rack in there so they have outdoor hay without it getting wet. Think that's prob best solution. Shame not to use it and will save me buying a separate shelter! Just need decent weather so I can get the paint out!!

May be see if you can get a piece of plyboard and cover the day mesh completely, then cut a hole in the night door big enough for buns to get in, it will also act as a sheltered area away from the wind or rain if it pours down. You wont need to cut the legs off then, it'll keep it raised off the ground and bunnies will just hop in when they get used to it. ;)

May be see if you can get a piece of plyboard and cover the day mesh completely, then cut a hole in the night door big enough for buns to get in, it will also act as a sheltered area away from the wind or rain if it pours down. You wont need to cut the legs off then, it'll keep it raised off the ground and bunnies will just hop in when they get used to it. ;)

The run is going to be permanently connected to the main hutch by a runaround pipe anyway so it would only be an extra den in the run. Also the floors in it aren't very good, I'd be bothered about the mess if they decided to use it as a toilet :? I may cover the whole of the mesh tho but still pull the door off, I don't have the tools (or the man :lol:) to cut holes in wood!! Easier just to pull door off, can just about handle a screw driver and a bit of filler :lol:

The piggies use my hutch as a toilet. The floor lifts out, I hose it down every time they've been out in the pen, and leave it to dry overnight before putting it back in. ;)

Can't decide if it's going to take up too much space in the run :roll: Shame I don't have the space to connect it separately. Only option would be on top of run really but then more runaround pipe or ramp will be needed. Hmmmm think think!! :lol:

Back