• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any advice? Includes gunky pictures

I'm not sure how well it's going to dry out with tears running down onto it? Might just get worse if nothing is put on...I know my runny eye buns certainly don't get any better without a topical treatment :?

We have abunny whos eye regions flare up like this as well. It has all been caused by over zealous tear duct flushes which has now made the tear duct permanently blocked. Our bunny looks terrible quite often but then the fur grows back and he does ok for a bit and then it all gets messy again. I tried sudocrem but I prefer to let the air get to it now and just bathe the area around the bald patch. The last diagnosis from our vets was to use viscous tear drops but that made things far worse. Fucithalmic was also prescribed but that didn't do a jot. Our bunny also has cataracts (as well as numerous other health issues) so can't actually see either. He is a free range bun indoors and did have a friend. Must say his eyes were a lot better when he had a friend so perhaps there is something in the idea of a friend washing the eye as they did adore each other.

What about some active Manuka Honey?
Ive been using it on Inca's private parts, which were very inflammed, and it has worked wonders.

I think it prob looks worse than it is. I know it's difficult to tell pain with rabbits but you know you bun and if there's no change in her behaviour then I would say that she's ok.

I don't know what to advise with regards to putting anything on it. I personally would let it dry and see how she goes. I too was wondering if she had a bunny friend to clean it for her. When Willow's eye was bad Hazel always looked after it and we never had to do anything with him.

Thanks for the replies.

Leela was bonded but her partner never touched her eyes. Then the relationship broke down so I had to seperate them.:(

I am still undecided about trying to bond her again, she can be a fiesty madam so a stressful bond with her lung damage would concern me :?

Not read the whole thread but thought I'd add something. I'm a human first aider and although it's not the same a lot of the info is transferrable. I'd clean it with the salt water and on a human would put a dressing on simply to keep it clean, but not really possible on a bun. :?
Don't put any creams on it, they'll just sit on the surface. An antisceptic gel or wound wash would do but you're best just to keep it clean. I have a powder spray antisceptic which might be an idea. Have you thought about using a cream on it when better as a barrier to keep the skin around the leaky eye dry?

This is what it looks like this morning :? the damp circle I was concerned about last night has become extremely red and sore :( But again it doesn;t seem to bother her

leelaeye.jpg

Rather than amnuka honey, which is sticky and would again need washing off, I would try aloe vera gel, its soothing and very healing.

Rather than amnuka honey, which is sticky and would again need washing off, I would try aloe vera gel, its soothing and very healing.

That's a great idea, and it can be used on open wounds. I have an aloe vera plant in my kitchen for burns.

Back