• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another Reason Why I Would Never Agree to Trancing my Rabbits

To clean Doughnut's bum if it needs doing I sort of cradle her in my hand with my arm against her and sit her a bit upright. I always put a teatowel over her eyes and find she stays still when her eyes are covered and sort of sitting up. Most rabbits stay still when their eyes are covered.

I get that there are many, many very experienced rabbit owners that have never had to turn their bunnies over to medicate or care for them. The fact that they have never had to doesn't necessarily equate to it being a bad technique for handling certain rabbits in certain circumstances. There is a clear inference that putting rabbits gently on their backs (more of a cradle & tip I'd say) is irresponsible and risky & I don't believe this to be true. A good bunny owner knows when their rabbits are stressed. Like with all other aspects of rabbit care, people new to keeping bunnies should have the whole picture put in front of them. There is a risk that this will close peoples minds to things like conscious dentals which makes me sad

Surely those posting that they do not agree with doing so are just stating a personal opinion, not telling others what they should or should not do. If others choose to put their Rabbit on it's back then it is no-one else's business, but that does not mean no-one should be allowed to make a comment about it.

As far as I can see no one has posted that 'you should not put your Rabbit(s) on their back', everyone has posted that 'I would not put any of my Rabbits on their back'

Unless I have missed a post on this thread

To clean Doughnut's bum if it needs doing I sort of cradle her in my hand with my arm against her and sit her a bit upright. I always put a teatowel over her eyes and find she stays still when her eyes are covered and sort of sitting up. Most rabbits stay still when their eyes are covered.

Agree 100% on that one !

Surely those posting that they do not agree with doing so are just stating a personal opinion, not telling others what they should or should not do. If others choose to put their Rabbit on it's back then it is no-one else's business, but that does not mean no-one should be allowed to make a comment about it.

As far as I can see no one has posted that 'you should not put your Rabbit(s) on their back', everyone has posted that 'I would not put any of my Rabbits on their back'

Of course everybody is entitled to their opinion & I am attempting to add a counter opinion. I've not heard any "you must nots" but I don't read those that differently from "I would never" - its highly emotive IMO.

To be honest I don't think there is enough evidence in rabbit behaviour to say either way.
Despite this, I would personally not put a rabbit on its back. I actually have never scruffed a rabbit either - and I have dealt with plenty of naughty rabbits at the vets! I just don't think it's necessary. Using a towel to hold rabbits is proven to be effective restraint and reduces stress.
For grooming the lionlops we had to shave matts off their abdomen. I just tilted them so they were 'upright' with their back being supported by my body and bum supported by my hands. This was fine, they didn't wiggle, and they didn't have to be placed on their backs.

I always used a towel to cover and capture my buns,Rio was okay to be handled he just didn't like being picked up( Like most buns).Cleo didn't like to be touched at all,so she was always wrapped up in a towel etc to get meds in.I never tried to turn them on their backs etc.

a2c6374f95adc35675fbb5077fa299db.jpg

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Back