• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another P@H grumble

I buy all my stuff from a farm shop - its a lot cheaper and with 14 bunnies i need to save £ where possible.

From a farm shop i can get a bale of straw for £2.00

a Huge bale of hay for £3.50

Huge bag of Redi grass for £8.something and

Sawdust a huge huge compressed bag for £6!!!!!!

and it lasts ages :wink:

missblondebunny said:
I buy all my stuff from a farm shop - its a lot cheaper and with 14 bunnies i need to save £ where possible.

From a farm shop i can get a bale of straw for £2.00

a Huge bale of hay for £3.50

Huge bag of Redi grass for £8.something and

Sawdust a huge huge compressed bag for £6!!!!!!

and it lasts ages :wink:

id love to do that but i have no where to keep it all. might go 50/50 with carys maybe one time ill have to ask her

I know that P@H have hundreds of stores and I can only comment on the two I have visited in Bristol, which always have fresh hay, food, veg and water for the rabbits. I know that it's not ideal that P@H sells rabbits when rescues are full, but I heard a member of staff talking to someone buying a rabbit and giving them lots of correct info about looking after rabbits as well as making sure that they had all the care leaflets and asking about the accomodation they were intending to buy. My only gripe would be that they stop selling the smaller hutches or clearly label which animals they are suitable for. I think it is easier to blame P@H, but I think a lot of issues come from people who buy rabbits as a "cheap & easy" pet and then when they realise that they aren't get tired of them and either neglect them or abandon them.

Ali - Loki said:
I know that P@H have hundreds of stores and I can only comment on the two I have visited in Bristol, which always have fresh hay, food, veg and water for the rabbits. I know that it's not ideal that P@H sells rabbits when rescues are full, but I heard a member of staff talking to someone buying a rabbit and giving them lots of correct info about looking after rabbits as well as making sure that they had all the care leaflets and asking about the accomodation they were intending to buy. My only gripe would be that they stop selling the smaller hutches or clearly label which animals they are suitable for. I think it is easier to blame P@H, but I think a lot of issues come from people who buy rabbits as a "cheap & easy" pet and then when they realise that they aren't get tired of them and either neglect them or abandon them.

Yeah, i cant grumble at how they are kept- and the hutches have got bigger i notice.

My local one seems to be alright most of the time (PAH Portsmouth), I don't buy in there 'cos I have seen some horrible things and I'm not legally allowed in there.

They do allow dogs and don't keep an eye/turn a blind eye to dogs around the animals.

I much perfer to use my local pet shop, which does sell animals as I know the owners and used to work there

Chloaster-I thought they were too young but i was concerned while it happened! :lol: I have seen people take their dogs into pets at home and they arn't Guide Dogs.One dog even nicked a biscuit! :shock: :lol:

Ax

feeling_the_wrath_already - inresponce to your critisisms in your responce, I understand that there are a lot of products, but I do hope that staff have training in what they sell and if not, can point me in the direction of someone who does know or can be helpful instead of, 'I dont know'. Dont get me wrong - I'm not expecting vets advice or anything and on the subject of the hutch, I would assume the most sensible advice, whether it is an indoor hutch or outdoor is to buy the largest hutch/cage possible as rabbits grow....fast! If someone was looking at a bigger hutch, why suggest a smaller one??! surley they know how big the living space is that its going to go in?!

Charlotte

By the way don't get me wrong, I shop in p@h for general items as its right by my house and convient, it lets dogs walk around on leads, gives them treats, I have never had a complaint about their animal care - they all seem clean and fed, I just thought the staffing situation wasnt what it should be. If there are new owners going to the store, they deserve to be given the best advice, not just the amount the shop assistant knows....HOWEVER I do understand that this could just be my store and that not ALL staff are poor...! :D

charl343 said:
By the way don't get me wrong, I shop in p@h for general items as its right by my house and convient, it lets dogs walk around on leads, gives them treats, I have never had a complaint about their animal care - they all seem clean and fed, I just thought the staffing situation wasnt what it should be. If there are new owners going to the store, they deserve to be given the best advice, not just the amount the shop assistant knows....HOWEVER I do understand that this could just be my store and that not ALL staff are poor...! :D

In a nutshell- like i say- the animals are all treated well. But one P@H i went into had a man working there with the fish who told his EVERYTHIN (was boring really) and talked to him for ages about tropical set-ups etc.

This was brilliant and should be consistent throughout

Yes, I do agree about silly staff, I apologise if I seemed a bit over defensive... :oops:

I think it's just that I can see both sides of the story - although I know that there are some complete numpty staff about, I also know that customers sometimes jump the gun and make assumptions, which is why i'm usually quick to offer an alternative perspective :wink:

Especially as it's a perspective that isn't too often heard :)

feeling_the_wrath_already said:
Yes, I do agree about silly staff, I apologise if I seemed a bit over defensive... :oops:

I think it's just that I can see both sides of the story - although I know that there are some complete numpty staff about, I also know that customers sometimes jump the gun and make assumptions, which is why i'm usually quick to offer an alternative perspective :wink:

Especially as it's a perspective that isn't too often heard :)

Yes but some of your staff are dowright rude and ignorant, they are not trained properly and so the animals suffer!, that makes me really cross

Have to agree!

I went to our local pets at home, and was disgusted to see a male bunny (as said by the bloke who worked there) was humping all the smaller bunnies in the pen with it, and then it went on to mount one particular guinea pig. :evil: Two minutes later, this couple had bought this bunny AND the guinea pig to live together. I stopped the male member of staff and told him he needs to let the couple know that guineas and bunnies can't live together, and that it was likely that this bunny would injure the guinea pig.

The respnse i got was a shrugg of the shoulders :evil: I was furious, and told the couple they shouldnt let a rabbit and pig live together, but the couple totally ignored me.

Then i went to look at the larger rabbits in the old bird enclosures - there were too large male lops humping eachother, i collered a different member of staff then and told her that these two males were likely to fight if they were left in the same pen together (bearing in mind one was already constantly mounting the other), the reply i got was:

"oh its ok, they've been together 4 months so get on fine" err......????? i was speechless!

I emailed the manager on Monday and had a reply saying the two male bunnies had been separated as one had been injured over the weekend from the other!! :shock: :x :evil:

I was appalled, and will never put money into that store again!

I did, i emailed customer services at the head office, that was the reply i got.

They only separated them after the males had fought!

I rang head office who were very interested (or so I thought) and took all my deatils and said someone (The manager) would get back to me with the possibility of having a meeting with them, I offered to travel to their head office, 6 months later and I am still waiting not even a phone call and then:

Read page 1 at the bottom - response by Mr Fox

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=30682

That's the response from Pets at Home, I'd be interested in your views especially as you very kindly gave me the answers to my questions

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/viewtopic.php?t=42512

Many thanks

Back