• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Another 'is this big enough'? (No idea when it comes to measurements!)

SamanthaJane

Warren Veteran
Ok - here's the scenario!

My girls live in the house based in the large kitchen (but when we're here all over downstairs).

They enjoy sitting until a dining chair with a blanket over it.

Of course this isn't a permanent solution! We will need to sit on that chair, especially with Christmas coming up, and it's not fair to keep disturbing them. Also, with people visiting a lot at this time of year, I want them to have a place to go and hide away.

I really wanted to buy this...

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/customerpicturedisplay/shop/cats/cat_beds_baskets/cat_dens/cat_dens/194512

But as much as I love it, I think the rabbits would have trouble with steps and railing on the top. (boo I REALLY want to buy it!)

I have just spotted this.

http://www.netpetshop.co.uk/p-33414-bunny-hideaway-box-rabbit-bed.aspx

What is the size like for 2 buns to hide in? (small buns - fully grown but small)

I was also hoping to put their hay cube in with them to contain it a bit!! (Also, when I'm banging about in the kitchen, Bailey doesn't like it and goes to hide under the chair - missing out on nice yummy hay!)

Please advise!! I love the box aliduncan makes, but I think it's a bit pricey (sorry Ali, I know a lot of work goes into them and it's justified of course)

Any other thoughts?

The princess castle thing would be fine if you ditched the steps and put in one larger platform.

I'm not sure about the size of the latter. Whenever I'm looking at something for mine I have to find a cardboard box a similar size and put it next to them to see :lol:

On that note, is a sturdy cardboard box a bad suggestion?

What we're probably going to do for ours as a bed is buy a cheap wooden trunk (there's one on the argos site for under £25) and cut a rabbit sized hole out for them to get in and out. Kennels are £50+ and this should do as good a job as it doesn't need to be weatherproof.:)

The 1st one looks cool. maybe you could replace the stairs with a ramp.

The second one doesnt looks particualrly good quality and at £16 its quite expensive for just a box. Atleast the 1st one is pleasing on the eye :wave:

I would get the 1st one, when i saw the pic of it, i was expecting it to me more expensive. Looks like a good price. :wave:

Ooo I have back up for the first one!!

Yay!!

What should I put instead of the stairs? Excited now!!

(REALLY can't afford it - but need a permanent solution :)

i love the first one its very tempting but i need a run more than a bed place for my 2 buns so i have to save up but it looks so fun ! :D

If they enjoy sitting under the chair could you get the, a small table and put it in a corner with a blanket over it? It's what I used to do, now i don't bother with the blanket, and each pair has a small table to hude under.

Hi, I was recently given one of the ones with the cat sitting on it. It had been gven to a friend of mine by another rabbit owner, but my friend had seen her bunny slip on the steps and to avoid injury decided not to keep it. I tried it here with one of our indoor bunnies but she wasn't in the slightest bit interested I have to say.

The box was a really good size and the top big enough for a bunny to sit, but to be honest, I am not sure how long it would last if the bunny was a chewer as it was fairly lightweight timber (like Chinese Fir). I also don't like the steps as it would be easy for a bunny to try and jump up them and for their feet to slip through and catch. Had I not given it away to someone else with lots of room outside in an enclosed bunny area, I would have needed to modifiy it to make it safe (the balastrade keep coming off too). The lady how now has it is going to change the step arrangement for her bunnies.

The size was good for a hidey box and if it were made out of deck board or something I think it would be great for bunnies. :D

Hi, I was recently given one of the ones with the cat sitting on it. It had been gven to a friend of mine by another rabbit owner, but my friend had seen her bunny slip on the steps and to avoid injury decided not to keep it. I tried it here with one of our indoor bunnies but she wasn't in the slightest bit interested I have to say.

The box was a really good size and the top big enough for a bunny to sit, but to be honest, I am not sure how long it would last if the bunny was a chewer as it was fairly lightweight timber (like Chinese Fir). I also don't like the steps as it would be easy for a bunny to try and jump up them and for their feet to slip through and catch. Had I not given it away to someone else with lots of room outside in an enclosed bunny area, I would have needed to modifiy it to make it safe (the balastrade keep coming off too). The lady how now has it is going to change the step arrangement for her bunnies.

The size was good for a hidey box and if it were made out of deck board or something I think it would be great for bunnies. :D

Thank you - that's very useful advice.

I can't afford anything at the moment, (paid last Friday - got £70 left until the end of this month!!!) - but MIL is coming to stay for Christmas and I really need a 'hay' containment solution before then - can't deal with being called a bad girlfriend again!

Also - the buns need somewhere permanent to hide over Christmas with lots of people coming to visit, we'll need that chair!!

Back