• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

And this is why you don't keep a empty hutch...

if they are skinny I'd give them a bit more pelleted food to begin with. Small amount of carrot and flaked pea will also help with weight. More psace to exercise will help them as they will build up muscle tone. Well done for taking them, they are beautiful :)
Yea I think I will do that thanks for info - also love the name suggestions :D

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

as they are Californians you could name them after places in that state..so
Beverly
Mariposa
Pasadena
Paradise
Palermo
Pixley ( love this one! )
Sacremento
Tasajara

Or maybe stick with the 'To Kill a Mockingbird' theme you have with Atticus and Clementine how about 'Scout' and 'Mayella' :D

:D

I would add in some readigrass with their hay (who knows how much hay they were given?) and I wouldn't limit their pellets just at the moment. They will need a bit extra as they are probably still at the end of their growing time and you want them hale and hearty before they go for their spays.

Were they being kept under glass in P@H? I know they put the adoptees in glass 'cages' at the back of the shop in the store near me. So hot in this weather - unbearable :(

That's a good idea I have some readigrass, that no one else eats [emoji38] and yea they eat the hay and pellets like they've never seen food before :( and I'm used to greedy buns.. Yea they were behind glass :( they don't look skinny but when you pick them up they're so tiny under thick fur :(
753147631858009a45f0bbbac7d02b5d.jpg

I actually thought the same about Tui when I first got her in that she wasn't any larger than the Rexes. She also felt a lot skinnier than they had ever done too. However, don't forget they are still young. Tui doesn't feel quite so skinny now. Also, she is very long, much longer than Tethra and if you look at the pic you've just posted of them in the horrid glass cage, you will see how long yours are too.

I actually thought the same about Tui when I first got her in that she wasn't any larger than the Rexes. She also felt a lot skinnier than they had ever done too. However, don't forget they are still young. Tui doesn't feel quite so skinny now. Also, she is very long, much longer than Tethra and if you look at the pic you've just posted of them in the horrid glass cage, you will see how long yours are too.
Oh yea definitely long! I just picked up Apricot - think that's definitely gunna be the lighter ones name because I love it so much :) and she's so skinny beneath all the hair - they'll both get weighed tomorrow so we'll see how heavy they both are then - I could feel all her bones tho :/ don't remember Atticus and Clementine ever being soo boney when they were around 6 months, maybe it's different tho x

Or maybe stick with the 'To Kill a Mockingbird' theme you have with Atticus and Clementine how about 'Scout' and 'Mayella' :D
I love the name Scout [emoji7] think my boyfriend wants to name the other one Marshmallow tho [emoji38][emoji38] and I like Apricot for the other one so I may not get a say hahaha

Also failed at owning a white bun already, ones not figured out the ramp down yet.. So is peeing upstairs on the wood.. And has rolled in it... Woops [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Boo & Radley :lol: They are stunning, I can understand why you fell for them. Welcome to your forever home bunnies

That's a good idea I have some readigrass, that no one else eats [emoji38] and yea they eat the hay and pellets like they've never seen food before :( and I'm used to greedy buns.. Yea they were behind glass :( they don't look skinny but when you pick them up they're so tiny under thick fur :(
753147631858009a45f0bbbac7d02b5d.jpg

I hate to see rabbits behind glass. Or anywhere there's no access to fresh air in this hot weather :(

I hate to see rabbits behind glass. Or anywhere there's no access to fresh air in this hot weather :(
Yea, I agree :( they're nice and cool now and eating readigrass :)

They didn't have any other buns in the adoption centre either so these were the only two in that store behind glass - baby buns are in glass but open topped

Thanks both, we've settled on names Penelope and Apricot :)

Probably should start a new thread but just wanted to ask considering online suggests californian buns should be 3.6kg - 4.5kg.. Would you be concerned Penelope is 2.7kg and Apricot is 2.4kg? :(

Probably should start a new thread but just wanted to ask considering online suggests californian buns should be 3.6kg - 4.5kg.. Would you be concerned Penelope is 2.7kg and Apricot is 2.4kg? :(

No because they still have a lot of growing to do. I would not be surprised if the were less than 6 months of age. Elsa was 2.7 kg when she arrived here and she very quickly went up to 3.5 kg before she became terminally poorly :cry:

Might seem a ridiculous question, but are you 100% certain they are both Does. P@H are not renowned for their reliability when it comes to sexing Rabbits !!

I love the names :love:

I may be in the minority here, but I would not be concerned enough to try to bulk them up. Tui was 2.5kg when she was 4 months old. She is a New Zealand White x Californian cross, but I think the suggested weight range is very similar. She is fed the same as Tethra, so few pellets plus hay and forage, although she does eat more and has 1/2 a Fibafirst every morning as a treat. I am content with her weight gain. Embarrassingly, I haven't made a note of her weight when she was spayed at 5 1/2 months, but it was around 3.5kg

I would discuss with William. I think they will both put on a steady amount of weight now they are with you. Their spay, I take it, will be a few weeks after their vaccinations(?), so they will have a chance to gain beforehand.

I love the names :love:

I may be in the minority here, but I would not be concerned enough to try to bulk them up. Tui was 2.5kg when she was 4 months old. She is a New Zealand White x Californian cross, but I think the suggested weight range is very similar. She is fed the same as Tethra, so few pellets plus hay and forage, although she does eat more and has 1/2 a Fibafirst every morning as a treat. I am content with her weight gain. Embarrassingly, I haven't made a note of her weight when she was spayed at 5 1/2 months, but it was around 3.5kg

I would discuss with William. I think they will both put on a steady amount of weight now they are with you. Their spay, I take it, will be a few weeks after their vaccinations(?), so they will have a chance to gain beforehand.

Yea you're probably right :) just concerned me a little because by 6 months mine others were all basically their final weights just filled out a little after that.

Yea they had first vaccinations this morning gunna book them in with William for 2 weeks time for RHD2 and discuss spaying them then, and hopefully will be a week after or something, so I'll see what he thinks about their weight then. Vet this morning said they felt skinny.

Yea you're probably right :) just concerned me a little because by 6 months mine others were all basically their final weights just filled out a little after that.

Yea they had first vaccinations this morning gunna book them in with William for 2 weeks time for RHD2 and discuss spaying them then, and hopefully will be a week after or something, so I'll see what he thinks about their weight then. Vet this morning said they felt skinny.

Did you not see William today?

I think they may be younger than 6 months judging by the fact that they are unspayed and still getting on together in a small space. Long may it last! I should just feed as normal, perhaps not restrict their pellets too much simply because you want them to be a good weight with a good immune response to the vaccinations and later the spay.

I love, love their names :love::love:

Did you not see William today?

I think they may be younger than 6 months judging by the fact that they are unspayed and still getting on together in a small space. Long may it last! I should just feed as normal, perhaps not restrict their pellets too much simply because you want them to be a good weight with a good immune response to the vaccinations and later the spay.

I love, love their names :love::love:

No saw someone at vets4pets for the free first vaccination, gunna see William for RHD2 and then spays :) figured I'd get the vaccination for free haha

Yea I really don't know how old they are.. Shop said adoption papers said 6 months old but I guess it could be wrong.. I am a bit worried about the fact they're both female and possibly 6 months.. Hope as you said it stays happy for a few more weeks :)

I've been giving them 3 egg cups full of excel in the morning, which goes very quickly [emoji38] and lots of hays and readigrass, and starting to introduce veggies slowly in small amounts, also gunna try them with a little dried forage, see how that goes down :)

Yea I love the names so much :) Penelope is the more timid one but also kinda knows exactly what she wants and the name really suits her :D Apricot is smaller and soo soo sooo sweet, I hope she stays this sweet and gentle - she's already licked my arm [emoji7][emoji7] she's moulting like mad tho, rexes don't moult like normal bunnies I forgot what it's like [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

No saw someone at vets4pets for the free first vaccination, gunna see William for RHD2 and then spays :) figured I'd get the vaccination for free haha

Yea I really don't know how old they are.. Shop said adoption papers said 6 months old but I guess it could be wrong.. I am a bit worried about the fact they're both female and possibly 6 months.. Hope as you said it stays happy for a few more weeks :)

I've been giving them 3 egg cups full of excel in the morning, which goes very quickly [emoji38] and lots of hays and readigrass, and starting to introduce veggies slowly in small amounts, also gunna try them with a little dried forage, see how that goes down :)

Yea I love the names so much :) Penelope is the more timid one but also kinda knows exactly what she wants and the name really suits her :D Apricot is smaller and soo soo sooo sweet, I hope she stays this sweet and gentle - she's already licked my arm [emoji7][emoji7] she's moulting like mad tho, rexes don't moult like normal bunnies I forgot what it's like [emoji38][emoji38][emoji38]

Very wise to get that vax for free :)

How are they liking their veggies? That photo of them sharing a piece of greens/kale was lovely :D

Moulting, haha, yes the plucking season has begun (again :roll:).

They really are beauties. I bet you can't stop looking at them :love:

Back