• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anarchy has a sore nose... UD post 27 nodular myxomatosis

Thanks all for the good wishes.

Anarchy's nose doesn't look any more swollen. It's gone from pink to red but the skin isn't broken or scabby. It's a week since I first noticed the issue. I'm cautiously optimistic. No other bunnies are showing any signs of M.

Getting the baytril into him has been a comedy. I've been giving it on mini shredded wheat with extra flavouring (apple etc) and he runs off at high speed with it which causes Eloise to thing he's got something she hasn't and bolts after him. It's a real challenge making sure she gets the shreddie that doesn't have baytril and he eats all of the one that does have it. :love:

Just a little update on this. Anarchy's nose was looking swollen again in the last few days and to be honest his profile never looked as it should all winter, his nose protruded :shock: He had a little bit of a 'break out' at the tip of his nose. So after a bit of 'zit squeezing' in the consultation (which he really really didn't like) it was decided that he undergo a procedure under sedation/GA as he had an abscess on his nose in the myxomatosis lesion, poor lad! So, he had that done yesterday afternoon. Our vet described it as "quite satisfying getting all that out"... bet Anarchy will think so when the swelling settles, I would imagine that's felt sore for 6 months :(

Poor Anarchy! I hope he begins feeling better soon - and that none of the other rabbits contract that dreadful disease.

Bless him, I'm sure he'll be pleased now that's done. The question is how long will it take him to forgive you? Bramble was last at the vets on 4th March and it was only yesterday that she decided it was worth coming into the shed to get her breakfast fenugreek crunchies, rather than making me throw it near her!

Bless him, I'm sure he'll be pleased now that's done. The question is how long will it take him to forgive you? Bramble was last at the vets on 4th March and it was only yesterday that she decided it was worth coming into the shed to get her breakfast fenugreek crunchies, rather than making me throw it near her!

He was quite sociable when I spent time with them late afternoon, I thinks his companion Eloise has been more huffy with me. I was told they "ate EVERYTHING" when they were at the vets, I tend to think they've had a banquet when the 'everything' is given a lot of emphasis! The poor lad must have had a really tender nose for about 6 months, his profile looked different but the 'ooter didn't look sore, he has a normal profile now so that must have hurt ... every time he rummaged through hay etc:(

Erin was doing the refusal thing though, she went for a dental check the same day. She leaned towards me for the treat but didn't take it. I left if and she would ignore it until I turned my back, it was obviously tainted! Oh, and as I'm giving a full run down :oops: Scally also had a dental check and his gum/teeth situation is holding up well, so he didn't need a dental:D

Last edited:
Glad they're all doing well. They do make me laugh with their haughtiness. Bramble was refusing to go in for her tea whilst I was there too. She'd sit in the run and I could see her watch me go back in the house and shut the door. She'd then see me at the window, turn round and hop inside! Please don't feel guilty about Anarchy's nose, they are so good at hiding things from us x

So, way back when Anarchy was diagnosed with nodular myxomatosis, I said to FHB that just about every case of myxomatosis I'd read about, even in vaccinated rabbits, if the rabbit survived, they seemed to succumb to something else within the first twelve months. I meant things like respiratory disease from damaged lungs etc. .... Can tumours be secondary to this kind of disease process? I remember Oscar (was the RU member OscarBun? from NE England) being diagnosed with cancer within about a year of a hard fought recovery from myxo. I know Anarchy's myxo was mild but I can't help wondering... :cry:

Only a bit over a month ago he did well under GA, I'm hoping this means that he was properly well then.

Last edited:
So, way back when Anarchy was diagnosed with nodular myxomatosis, I said to FHB that just about every case of myxomatosis I'd read about, even in vaccinated rabbits, if the rabbit survived, they seemed to succumb to something else within the first twelve months. I meant things like respiratory disease from damaged lungs etc. .... Can tumours be secondary to this kind of disease process? I remember Oscar (was the RU member OscarBun? from NE England) being diagnosed with cancer within about a year of a hard fought recovery from myxo. I know Anarchy's myxo was mild but I can't help wondering... :cry:

Only a bit over a month ago he did well under GA, I'm hoping this means that he was properly well then.

I think it highly unlikely that the tumour was related to the previous Myxomatosis. Although Hepatic Necrosis can occur due to the Myxoma Virus I would have thought there would be obvious symptoms of illness.

The Myxoma Virus actually acts against some cancer cells in humans

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3755036/

No, in my experience tumours are not secondary to this kind of disease process.

It's just sheer bad luck and I'm so sorry :(

I have had several buns with nodular myxo - one passed away within a year despite recovering (she had a very bad case and it must have damaged her kidneys/liver); one other passed away a couple of years later - but Damson went on to reach 9 years old!

Thanks Jane and MM.

I have had several buns with nodular myxo - one passed away within a year despite recovering (she had a very bad case and it must have damaged her kidneys/liver); one other passed away a couple of years later - but Damson went on to reach 9 years old!

Yes, thanks. I should have added that re them succumbing to something else, Frances said, "That's not my experience at all" and said she knew a lot of rabbits that lived many years after. I just suddenly realised yesterday that when I knew he had myxo I didn't expect him to die of the myxo but not last the year, that had gone from my head but suddenly the realisation that it had happened :cry:

Back