• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I mad? (Considering a trio...)

aatkin

Warren Scout
I would be very interested to know what people think of a potential trio?

We adopted two rescue buns who were already bonded together earlier this year (they were bonded in Decemeber, we brought them home in February). Peabody (female) is clearly the boss of Emerson (male). They have both mellowed a lot since moving in with us (they are free-range house bunnies) and get along together very well with only occassional tifts (usually Peabody being greedy).

I saw today that a bunny we originally went to see when we were looking to adopt is back at the rescue centre! (See Flapjack here.) We had wanted to reserve him after visiting, but were sadly told that he had been reserved by another family (it just wansn't updated on their records so they introduced us to him as a possibility). We resigned ourselves to letting him go (we didn't really have a choice, ha) so long as he'd be happy! Now, it seems that it may not have worked out and he is looking for a new home. It seems he never left my heart, as it's bleeding for the poor wee thing!

What are the logistics of bonding a trio. Do they fail more times than not? Is it too soon to consider it even? Is our set-up fit for purpose? Would a successful trio depend on why his last family/house didn't work out?

I'd really love to hear peoples' experiences and thoughts/comments/suggestions. My darling other will probably veto the idea straight away, but just in case it floats! Thanks.

Thanks. I can't believe I misssed that sticky. It is a very interesting read!

I would be slightly worried about breaking the bond my two bunnies currently have, if it all went stormy-wonky, so if I were to consider a trio seriously I will need to read a lot more about it and other peoples' experiences. I would also need to learn more about the actual logisitics, as I'm not sure what neutral territory would be in our house! Perhaps... not our house?!

I feel like it could be good for them though, as Emerson is very curious and investigative, whereas Peabody is less so... Emerson will lay and groom Peabody for ages and ages (at her request), but she won't play with him - she's much happier mooching on the floor. It would be nice if Emerson weren't always having to resign himself to laziness, as every time I am upstairs he seeks attention (he gets lots of it, it's just he can't get enough).

Flapjack was a very friendly little bunny - perhaps a bit more laid back than Emerson, but certainly more inquisitive than Peabody - maybe a bit of a middle man? But I'd be worried if either Peabody made Flapjack relaxified and Emerson was left out even more, or Flapjack and Emerson spent all their time goofing about and Peabody was alone (although I think the former is more likely than the latter).

I've no experience of this at all, but if you're wanting to try it would the rescue bond them for you? Then you could neutralise things at home before they came back. Or how about having a second pair :lol: ( if they've got a suitable rabbit for bonding with Flapjack?) Rabbit rehome is responsible for my second pair :lol:

Thanks for the response! Even if you've no experience I like hearing what people have to say. :lol:

I am not sure if we could have two pairs, as I don't think we have the room - unless we converted under the stairs and had upstairs buns and downstairs buns, but we're not looking to do any big project any time soon.

I thought perhaps a trio as Peabody and Emerson get along but they are wildly different in terms of personality, so maybe a third would even them out? Plus, there is lots of room in their HQ for another bun and loads of room for them all to run around together upstairs.

The rescue may be able to help with bonding. I'm not sure? I e-mailed them thought to ask why his last adoption failed, as I wonder if it was a failed bonding...

I have a recently bonded trio.

Twinkles (female) 7 years old and is paired with Ozzie (male) 4yrs old. They've been sooo loved up for the last 2 years.

Then we got Stan, found as a stray, so he was a house rabbit till neutered, hes only about 6 months now.

I tried bonding them myself in my bath but found it too stressful. I didn't know when to leave them and when to panic. I got in touch with the rescue that Ozzie and Twinkle came from and even though they don't do rescue anymore they very generously offered to bond for me.

They were away 9 days. It was awful without them. We totally stripped out the pairs shed, neutralised everything, put new lino in etc. I rang up about them every day:oops:, sometimes twice a day:oops::oops:.

When they first came home just over a week ago there was still the odd chase and sometimes Twinkle would 'snarl' at Stan and get a bit of his fur but then seconds later be beside him eating.

So they've been home just over a week and they are all fine.

Twink and Oz are still loved up, its almost like mum and dad and baby, awwww.

They play as a 3 for a bit then leave Stan to do his own thing and sit and watch him with this expression:roll: on their faces.

Twinkle is now in charge of both of them and its given her a new lease of life. Ozzie has someone to play with when Twinks has had enough. Stan now understands that hes a bunny and not a cat and is happy with the situation.

well.. if your two bunnies are very different, but happy, maybe another bunny would push them further apart?
hmmm..... don't know what to say really :D
if i was you i would give myself a few more days to think about it, observing your bunnies behavior and then chat it over with the rescue owner. :D

I rescued a bonded duo of brothers with my wee girly but sadly one of the boys became increasingly jealous of the other brother and this resulted in the quieter of the 2 boys being bullied By the other,,

I returned them both to the rescue in the hope that their lifelong bond could be repaired. It seems to have worked. I then rebonded my girly with a single boy..

I was gutted as I really loved the boys, they were agouti lionhead crosses.. Beautiful...

I dont know except you wont know until you try... Good luck, whatever you do

Fee xx

Well, the next step is to wait and see what the rescue said about Flapjack's failed adoption and whether they think he'd be suitable to try and bond. If they say yes I'll have a think about whether I think my bunnies could accept a new friend into their midst.

i would say don't do it , i brought home a male bun and my bonded pair started fighting and falling out with just the smell of him they hadn't even seen him......and they have been bonded since birth....hence i now have 2 bonded pairs..

its just not worth the risk, you will be surprised how the personalities you thought you knew change..:D

Probably not, as we don't have enough money for another entire set-up at the minute. Maybe 'tis not feasible in case the bond doesn't make?

Last edited:
I would say that unless you have the space to house him with a friend if the trio doesnt work out then ... dont do it. I notice his write up on rabbit rehome says he needs to be an outdoor rabbit. He is really very lovely and I can totally understand why you are considering it. Perhaps if the rescue could help bond ...

Hard to be logical when faced with such bunny cuteness.

Yeah, when we went to visit him they said he had previously been a solo house bunny (or rather posh apartment bunny). I'm not sure why it says he'd be outdoors if in a pair, but I'll ask the rescue if there is a reason.

I think if the bond didn't take, we wouldn't have room for a forth, which would mean him having to find a new home, which would be very mean. I'm not sure I could do that to him!

Does anyone live in the North West not want to adopt this adorable little fella?!

Go with your heart

I have an established pair together or about 12 months Woody and Elle Mac. I rescued another two 5yr old rabbits who had never ever been to the vet. To cut a very long story short they had extensive vet treatment but unfortunately one of the pair died after an gut op. I am now left with one rabbit Holly - she has been with me 3 months now and to be honest I can't let her go after rescuing her from very difficult circumstances. My pair have a huge house and in the winter they have a heating lamp which they cosy under in the freezing nights.
I desperately want Holly to share in that comfort and also have some friends. We have taken the bonding process very slowly - we could not at first even allow them to see each other in the garden as each pair would fight each other about it. Don't get me wrong I am no bonding expert but I once read on this forum a lady saying that any bunny can be bonded if he owner is patient enough. I have successfully bonded new pairs each after a partner died and they all worked ok.
My three now live next to each other in their runs. We have graduated from double mesh runs to single now. They have been in each other's houses and runs and we have swooped litter trays several times
Elle Mac is the problem she wants to attack Holly on sight. I had all three together in a tight run last week.
Woody humped and then groomed Holly, then Elle Mac just kept viciously attacking her. Then Woody attacked Elle Mac for attacking Holly. So we had to split them again.
Today I just did Woody and Holly together and that was ok for about a hour. I then put him straight back with Elle Mac and they are ok.
I will just take my time but I am hoping we will have success eventually
Let me know how you get on

Back