• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I Mad? Advice needed!

EBM

Mama Doe
There is a bunny who I am madly in love with currently at rescue where my Dad works. I have spent a lot of time with her and she is the friendliest thing ever. A member of staff reserved her and took her home to bond with her single doe. The introduction went badly and she is back again. I'm not sure if the bonding was done in the best way as she did it at home and she introduced them 48hrs after the bunny was spayed ( I don't think this is long enough). She attacked her existing bunny every time she tried to move.
She is due to be moved to another rescue this weekend ( this centre doesn't normally keep rabbits) and I am seriously considering trying her with my two as a trio. I fear that if she goes to another rescue they will home her as an only rabbit and she won't get another chance to live with other rabbits. I was thinking that when my two are booked in for their holidays at Rabbit Residence I could see if they would try and bond them as a trio. I would be happy to look after her on her own until then. I know if all goes wrong she can go back to the rescue to be rehomed, but I know it will break my heart to let her go! I also don't have space for a second set up long term, if she lives on her own she would have to be a house rabbit as she loves people ( I can't provide the space indoors for her either)
What do people think, am I mad? Could the bond work even though she is very much a 'people' rabbit? My current bunnies are a boy and girl and had a very easy bond. Any advice appreciated !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

48 hours is way too early to try a bond, they need at least 4-6 weeks for hormones to settle. she was likely to still be in pain from the op too which could have made her more aggressive. 2 does is also the most difficult bond, generally, so they really weren't setting her up for success!

have you read the sticky about bonding trios? there is a chance that you might end up with 3 singles, although i'm not experienced enough in bonding to really say how likely that might be!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first

48 hours is way too early to try a bond, they need at least 4-6 weeks for hormones to settle. she was likely to still be in pain from the op too which could have made her more aggressive. 2 does is also the most difficult bond, generally, so they really weren't setting her up for success!

have you read the sticky about bonding trios? there is a chance that you might end up with 3 singles, although i'm not experienced enough in bonding to really say how likely that might be!

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?317003-Do-you-want-to-bond-a-trio-Read-this-first

That's what I thought, so I don't think it's a fair judgement of her character. It would be very sad if she didn't get the opportunity to try bond with another bunny again. I don't want to upset my two though, but if they did get on they would make s lovely group. It's so hard !

I'd say talk to Caroline and if she's willing to try it then go for it. I think even 'people buns' love other bunny company. Can you take her from the rescue as a trial and if it doesn't work they could then look for a home for her?

I'd say talk to Caroline and if she's willing to try it then go for it. I think even 'people buns' love other bunny company. Can you take her from the rescue as a trial and if it doesn't work they could then look for a home for her?

Yes they are happy to have her back if it doesn't go well.

Back