• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Am I doing this right?

PaddingtonOz

Young Bun
My male is a house rabbit who has free run of the house and garden (he also has a large shed). He's been neutered last week with the plan to get him a wife.

I have been given a conti doe who is about 3 months old, I know that I need to keep them separated for 4 weeks as he's only just been neutered so she has a hutch and run outside but they can talk to each other through the fence.

They are very interested in each other and are hopping up and down the fence together though she has growled a couple of times.

Am I right in thinking the best thing to do is to keep them like this until she has been spayed and to let them get to know each other through the fence before I start bonding properly? So another 6-8 weeks?

Also when I got my boy he was well handled and fairly happy to be picked up etc. she isn't! She growls at me if I put my hands in her hutch but is happy to be stroked when she's out. She also kicks if I have to pick her up. I know she's going to be a very big girl so I want her to be comfortable being handled.

Thanks

She seems quite aggressive for 3 monyhs old. Perhaps she has lived with a small child or something. ? Try to ensure there isn't too much aggression through the wire, and as long as they are happy that there is another rabbit close by all well and good.

If it were me, I would make sure they can't see each other for the time being. I think it can hinder instead of help a bond, as there can be frustration at not being able to get to the other rabbit, especially if she is hormonal/defensive, and may lead to fighting through the bars.

Not sure about letting them see nor not see each other but with growling at you I can help I think ;)

I was given a nethie female just neutered and she grunted and growled all the time for the first few days then I won her over she was kept by herself with contact to throw food in once a day and I think gloved in and out so she could be cleaned out :roll:

I have also had dealings with another boxing growling female with excellent results very quickly well within the hour is quite good :D

First with both opened up the cage door and put hand in she lunged and growled :shock: made me jump :oops: she did it again :(

Right talking softly :oops: in goes hand again not towards her just in with a piece of food or treat or fruit she likes and just hold it and talk to her :) if she comes to investigate and moves back away without growling remove your hand leave treat and close door :D

Keep talking wait to see if she gets food ;)

I did this three or four times eventually when I opened the door she didn't lunge and growl , this means the hand will not hurt me so next time I opened the door and left my hand in holding the food she came again to investigate and took the food and ran away but ate it and then came looking for more and just sniffed my hand ran when I moved but I kept going and eventually got head and gave it a quick rub then removed my hand and shut the door again :D do this a few more times, next time I put my hand in she came over and asked for rubs :thumb:

This was a nursing home bunny who was terrified by the end of 2 weeks visiting my Father in Law and said bunny I was picking her up easily :) was going to ask to bring her home but one of the nurses fell back in love with her and is having her :D

I have a conti doe, who is now 1 year 6 months old - I don't know if this is a trait with the breed or because Kinder lived with a small child until she was 8 weeks old..

She was also very aggressive. She wouldn't let me pick her up she would bite, scratch and kick and I was scared to hurt her. She did this continually for 1 year of her life. She scratched my brother on the cheek, and used to bite your ankles every time you went into the room she lived in. She would also scratch every time you wanted to stroke her! Even after she was neutered she was horrible. My family were scared of her!

She is a house rabbit, and is treated like a queen.

Eventually after time, she has calmed down, I think I built trust up by letting her come to me as she wanted and her coming out into the living room when she wanted, not when I wanted. I also trained her to come to me for treats and to her name, which helped me build a bond with her. She now loves being stroked, jumping up for treats and cheek rubs, and she also let me pick her up last month for the first time since I got her!

You wouldn't think she was the same rabbit - I think persist with trying to bond with her before you try and bond the existing rabbit with her. She needs to trust you as much as she trusts him!

I hope everything works out!

Thanks for all the advice, she's stopped growling now and is happy to be stroked but the picking up will take time I think. Her and my buck have been lying beside each other (with the fence inbetween) and seem much more chilled out.

glad she has calmed down for you :thumb:

Most bunnies dont do pick ups ;) out of my 4

2 will be picked up and held very calmly and not struggle ever

1 who will tolerate being held for about 2 mins then start to look for escape routes

1 that struggles before his feet are off the floor :lol:

She seems friendly enough I'm just used to my boy who followed me round from day one and came to his name within a week. She's much more aloof!

There has been no more growling, just nose sniffing, ignoring and flopping near each other.

Back